Pink Cricket ball farce

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, Perth already at the right TV time. Brisbane would lose too much time with the evening storms. Hobart too cold? Don't need to do it in Melbourne or Sydney because of the public holidays/time of year.

Adelaide is really the only place that suits.

I would normally be against the pink ball and day/night cricket. But given the nature of the sport, and sport in general these days I was prepared to give it a go.

And from what I've observed so far in this game, the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Last edited:

Cricket as a game has always had variety of conditions to play in and even ground sizes and shapes. Whatever issues with a pink ball we got to work with to allow this to happen. If in time we need to make a rule for this type of ball need changing every 45 overs, well so be it. Just another cricket condition of the many variety to add to the game.

I actually look forward to this challenge at night for the batsman.
Both sides go into a game knowing night sessions is just one of variables is all good.

Last edited:
Stuff that for a joke. Time differences are bad enough when we're touring; I'm not staying up til midnight to watch cricket in my own country.
Its one game. How many people sit and watch a whole days play for 5 days in a row? Do you leave work at 1pm every day to watch the Perth test?

I watch more cricket when we are touring than at home.... clashes a lot less with working hours.

I like watching the final session after work, it's the most interesting of the day.

On the weekend in summer I have no interest in sitting around til 3 in the afternoon waiting for play to start.

Perth Test is just fine the way it is.

Was said today over a beer after my game that the seam on the pink ball should be black. White is just lost in the pink too easily and makes it near on impossible to see the seam once the ball has some age into it, but a black seam would remain visible. Thoughts?

Agree with this. Would like a darker seam for a pink ball.

I like watching the final session after work, it's the most interesting of the day.

On the weekend in summer I have no interest in sitting around til 3 in the afternoon waiting for play to start.

Perth Test is just fine the way it is.
Again, its 1 game, maybe being scheduled at night once every 5 years or so.

You might not like waiting til 3 on weekend, but plenty of others would. Lots of commitments during day on weekends.

And the final session is not the most interesting. It has a one in three chance of being the most interesting. :)

Won't happen. Viewing figures already start to drop towards 9pm, no value in keeping it going later than that.

All else being equal the final session is more interesting than the other two. Flatter light, tired players, etc.

Flatter light? In a night test? Hmmm.

Thats the whole idea, viewing numbers drop off in Aus while they skyrocket in India / UK. CA pockets their cash, and poor old east have to watch 2nd session instead of 3rd. Or stay up and get more cricket than they normally would.

And it would happen Once. Every. Five. Years. You will live, I assure you.

Who knows, it could take off. Coz pajama cricket, T20, night tests were all against tradition and have seemed to go ok.

Pitch variety is limited enough already. If the ball is unable to be used on certain surfaces, pitches will become even more homogenised.
Contrastinlgy, the pitches could stay the same, and we could not play D/N test matches everywhere. They'll never happen in India with their dew etc. anyway, which is the main place with especially abrasive surfaces.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol yeah because that clearly isn't happening the other way around. Some people are so desperate to hang on to test cricket that they will accept any s**t concept thrown their way.

The ball is rubbish and the difference between day and night play over a 5 day match is too much. This is not going to work. This isn't test cricket.
I've actually been surprised by how little difference there has been.
Its clearly been rushed before the ball was ready, and they had to make conditions suit the ball to avoid it becoming invisible to much of the crowd. But, it has worked with the adjustments made (and actually having some grass on a pitch is not a bad thing in itself - having to keep the outfield longer is not soo great).

It works, if conditions are idealised. Or, at least, it does so far. We haven't seen an innings where the ball (even in ideal conditions) has got old or received much treatment. Its been low scoring, slow scoring, short innings - which with conditions made to suit has minimised damage to the ball.

CA have got away with the gamble, but was a risk that did not need to be taken.

Yeah, Perth already at the right TV time. Brisbane would lose too much time with the evening storms. Hobart too cold? Don't need to do it in Melbourne or Sydney because of the public holidays/time of year.

Adelaide is really the only place that suits.
In Hobart, like England, if its a clear day you can play until late under natural light. They could easily have a 7:00 or 7:30 finish in Hobart with the red ball in mid-December. They could do that at 9:00 in England, maybe later in the north around the solstice.
The issue is with travelling fans. Hobart relies a lot on people from the north of the state to get the paltry attendances they do get. On the other hand, they'll get more on the weekdays after work (though with the location of Bellerive even that isn't certain) - just less on the Sunday and maybe Saturday.

How many times has the pink ball been changed?

Compare that to the WACA test...
You can't compare that. The balls at the WACA test were just faulty. Rather than pinpoint that test and the Brisbane test where the balls were just s**t in general, you should be looking at the history of the red ball, where it's never been that bad before.

I'd be interested to see how the pink ball goes on a pitch that's not specifically designed to protect it, like the Adelaide one has been.

You can't compare that. The balls at the WACA test were just faulty. Rather than pinpoint that test and the Brisbane test where the balls were just s**t in general, you should be looking at the history of the red ball, where it's never been that bad before.

I'd be interested to see how the pink ball goes on a pitch that's not specifically designed to protect it, like the Adelaide one has been.

I daresay poorly...

However this has been a good pitch for cricket - and the pink ball has stood up well

It actually seems comical that in order to get a pitch to look after the ball - we actually get a the best wicket we've had for test cricket in 2 summers.

I daresay poorly...

However this has been a good pitch for cricket - and the pink ball has stood up well

It actually seems comical that in order to get a pitch to look after the ball - we actually get a the best wicket we've had for test cricket in 2 summers.

Even more comical is that people on these boards (and elsewhere) have been bitching non stop about roads and boring pitches all summer, and the effect they have had on the techniques of Aussie batsmen, yet when they finally get a pitch that's doing something, what ensues? Even more bitching.

The main reason I've embraced day/night test cricket (and by extension the pink ball), is because so many of the variables that have made up the contest that is test cricket have been removed over the years. By adding D/N action to the calendar, it's bringing some variables back into the game and I'm all for that, especially if we are going to get these kinds of pitches at venues where D/N tests are played. Was very pleased to hear Warne mention a similar line of thinking before the start of play this morning.

The other thing is, if the ball is going to wear out more quickly, what's the issue with replacing it after 70 overs instead of 80? as long as the rules are the same for both teams, I got no problems with it.

The pink ball has more positives than negatives.

It's good for the game if the ball swings a bit more.

As the poster before mentioned, change the ball more often if concerned it won't last.

If seeing the seam is a problem, make it black.

Much better viewing as much easier to pickup.

Nothing stays the same forever...

test cricket is dying. That's reality. It has been dying for a long time.

People complaining about day/night tests need to get a grip, test cricket needs to adapt to survive in a ever changing sporting landscape.

People complaining about day/night tests need to get a grip, test cricket needs to adapt to survive in a ever changing sporting landscape.

From my own experience, the problem with going to the cricket these days is it's expensive to get in, it's expensive to buy food, and you're getting charged full strength price for mid strength beer. In light of that, why would I go to the game when I can sit at home in air conditioned comfort, watch on a big screen, eat my own food and drink a good quality beer on a nice comfy couch?

What D/N tests do is open up new viewing options for spectators. Aside from being able to head to the game after work, I'd be more than happy to watch the first session at home, toddle down the pub for the second session and have a feed then go to the G for the last session if there was a night session ticket available. It's not an option that is available right now, but I'd think that's something that could/should be looked at later.

Please explain to me how and why Test Cricket is dying? It's a myth peddled by TV stations who having herded us to watch on TV instead of turning up to watch but live. This test unfortunately proves nought - takeaway the novelty factor next time around and you might be surprised. The fact that we have a fair pitch in terms of bat and ball for the first time in the series and all of a sudden we have a contest. Put the pink ball to under the same conditions as the WACA and I'd be surprised if you didn't get the same outcome.
This test will finish inside of three days. That will be a financial disaster for CA

Please explain to me how and why Test Cricket is dying? It's a myth peddled by TV stations who having herded us to watch on TV instead of turning up to watch but live. This test unfortunately proves nought - takeaway the novelty factor next time around and you might be surprised. The fact that we have a fair pitch in terms of bat and ball for the first time in the series and all of a sudden we have a contest. Put the pink ball to under the same conditions as the WACA and I'd be surprised if you didn't get the same outcome.
This test will finish inside of three days. That will be a financial disaster for CA

Look at test crowds around the world.

In general they are horrendous, even for the best teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back