Society/Culture Plain Packaging on Tobacco Has Worked

Remove this Banner Ad

Hasn't worked at all for me or anyone I know.

Neither does raising the price a few dollars every few years. It's just abusing peoples addiction and basically the government allowing murder, so really we are no different to death penalty countries. The only solution is to ban it, ISIS got something right.

Neither does raising the price a few dollars every few years. It's just abusing peoples addiction and basically the government allowing murder, so really we are no different to death penalty countries. The only solution is to ban it, ISIS got something right.
* me drunk.

Of course, it is not the silver bullet, but it has certainly helped (IN MY OPINION).
Fair enough.

IMO the covering up of cigarettes has had more of an impact. They're not allowed to be displayed now, although I'm sure some still do. Subsequently, people don't see the packaging anyway. If we're talking about preventing the uptake of cigarettes, then putting them out if sight, out of kind has definitely helped. I can go to 7-11, or the servo, or Coles are no longer even know the cigarettes are there (visually)

Raising the price is not primarily to get people to quit (although that's a secondary aim), it's to discourage people from starting because it's too expensive.

Well explained here: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/plain-packaging-on-tobacco-has-worked.1097067/#post-38487016

It's slowly been erased from pop culture too. I can vaguely remember seeing Sterling ads at the cinema, billboards, sponsoring all sorts of sports, that was all omnipresent for me growing up. Now they've been erased from the landscape as brands, plain packaging was the last straw. I fully expect the government to now try to tax them out of existence.

Purely anecdotal but the switch to plain packaging has not reduced the smoking rate. The ridiculous price increases have made all of the difference. I have a few smokes on a night out, but even handing over $25 every now and then is changing my mind.

If a plain packaging has done anything, it has helped facilitate the change of brands amongst existing smokers. Smokers have shunned established premium brands for cheaper options as there is no immediately noticeable brand differentiation. Before plain packaging smokers were reluctant to switch to holidays, horizons etc... as they were seen as cheap and nasty and of lower status.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've got a 15 year old son and he along with all his mates are smoking. They can afford them because they steal them.

I'm still for plain packaging though. It's a long term game. Legalise all drugs and sell them in plain packages in out of the way places.
How do they steal them?

It's slowly been erased from pop culture too. I can vaguely remember seeing Sterling ads at the cinema, billboards, sponsoring all sorts of sports, that was all omnipresent for me growing up. Now they've been erased from the landscape as brands, plain packaging was the last straw. I fully expect the government to now try to tax them out of existence.

my backshop used to be sponsored by peter jackson.
i remember the rugby league had the winfield cup
brocky sponsored by malboro
Colombo always sucked on durrys

hell my teachers used to come along and confiscate your smokes put you on detention then smoke them at the front gate during recess.

Fair enough.

IMO the covering up of cigarettes has had more of an impact. They're not allowed to be displayed now, although I'm sure some still do. Subsequently, people don't see the packaging anyway. If we're talking about preventing the uptake of cigarettes, then putting them out if sight, out of kind has definitely helped. I can go to 7-11, or the servo, or Coles are no longer even know the cigarettes are there (visually)
It is a prick for workers. I used to be a console operator and later a manager of a Mobil servo. It was a nightmare trying to find what the customer wanted with them hidden and the packaging!

Purely anecdotal but the switch to plain packaging has not reduced the smoking rate. The ridiculous price increases have made all of the difference. I have a few smokes on a night out, but even handing over $25 every now and then is changing my mind.

If a plain packaging has done anything, it has helped facilitate the change of brands amongst existing smokers. Smokers have shunned established premium brands for cheaper options as there is no immediately noticeable brand differentiation. Before plain packaging smokers were reluctant to switch to holidays, horizons etc... as they were seen as cheap and nasty and of lower status.
Not just seen as cheap and nasty. They are cheap and nasty. Or they were when I smoked. Especially Holidays.

A dollar? Maybe in 1970 it was... 1985 at school a packet of 15s was about 6 or $7
I think you're very wrong OR never bought a packet of smokes.

Winnie 25's 1980 RRP $1.07. In 1985 they were RRP $1.79. They did not hit $6.00 RRP until 1994.
Smoke always sell considerably under the RRP (recommended retail price).

http://www.tobaccoinaustralia.org.au/13-3-the-price-of-tobacco-products-in-australia

If the TPP is signed then expect the big tobacco companies in the US to sue the government for the plain packaging laws.

Apparently a corporation can sue the government if laws affect their business, in the TPP.
Except for the fact health policy is just one area of many explicitly excluded from the TPP.

The provision is to stop governments from grabbing the assets of corporations, as has happened in a number of countries where government's legislate to nationalise assets companies have developed.

All I'm saying is compared to the 80s when I was in high school there are now way less 13,14,15 and 16 year olds smoking darts..on a regular daily basis.

At my local footy club, there are only a handful 18 to 25 year olds (granted they are all pretty healthy- fitness minded blokes..but drink like sailors) who smoke at all..even when drunk.

Back in the 80s and 90s...footy clubs were packed with smokers..players the main puffers.

I remember playing U16s for an outer eastern club in about 85' and looking at U19 playerss doing push-ups in the change rooms with ciggies in their mouth.

As others have pointed out, plain packaging and thoses horrific pictures on the packs have wiped tobacco of the face of the Australian teenage landscape.

It's a cigarette free world now and sometimes I think we all take it for granted that it no longer is part of our culture in the world of marketing and advertising.

It's worked. But by how much is debatable....

Last edited:
I think i
All I'm saying is compared to the 80s when I was in high school there are now way less 13,14,15 and 16 year olds smoking darts..on a regular daily basis.

At my local footy club, there are only a handful 18 to 25 year olds (granted they are all pretty healthy- fitness minded blokes..but drink like sailors) who smoke at all..even when drunk.

Back in the 80s and 90s...footy clubs were packed with smokers..players the main puffers.

I remember playing U16s for an outer eastern club in about 85' and looking at U19 playerss doing push-ups in the change rooms with ciggies in their mouth.

As others have pointed out, plain packaging and thoses horrific pictures on the packs have wiped tobacco of the face of the Australian teenage landscape.

It's a cigarette free world now and sometimes I think we all take it for granted that it no longer is part of our culture in the world of marketing and advertising.

It's worked. But by how much is debatable....
I think if you read the posts, the general consensus is that the price rises rather than plain packaging is the main reason for the reduction in smokers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back