Society/Culture Plain Packaging on Tobacco Has Worked

Apr 7, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Coney Island, GWS, The Exers!
Bought a pack of Winnie blues the other week and discovered they have put a 'taste filter' on them. Called something like that anyway.

It's a normal filter with half of it hollowed out with like this little tunnel going through from the end.

Have no idea why they would do this. It was like sucking air.

Big tobacco is really struggling to come up with new ideas.imagine being a cigarette sales rep these days. Do these companies even have marketing staff now in Australia?

And if they do, what the hell do they all day? There's nothing to market. No advertising , no point of sale gimmicks, no copywriting..nothing.

But some genius came up with the idea of a hollow filter that promises better 'taste'. Strange.

Western countries are no longer the main selling point for large tobacco companies.
In fact despite massive reductions in smoking rates in countries like Aus, The UK and US. These companies are making record profits.
as for marketing in aus........ of course they do and they are very effective at what they do, You didn't think all the people taking shots at plain packaging and defending their right to be a health risk and tax burden to others came to their positions all by themselves?

after all studies have shown the majority of smokers don't even enjoy smoking.

class78

All Australian
Jun 19, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yep, it's a combination of lots of little things. No one smokes before 18 and it's not hugely common to find someone over 25 who always does, but once people hit 18, social smoking comes in. It's a way to start talking to girls at pubs and clubs, it's got some novelty, and private school girls do it like they do five blokes a week - because they were told never to.

I don't think permanent addiction and lifelong smoking is a huge issue anymore, maybe that's me being hopeful, but at 21 I don't think I know many people who don't have a concery after a few beers.

Lots of high schoolers love a dart after a few UDL's bruz

Shane Hird

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan The Cult of Robbo Essendon Player Sponsor 2016
May 8, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
NYJ
Lots of high schoolers love a dart after a few UDL's bruz

Kids actually still drink UDLs?

Back in my day they were the only choice available for mixed spirits.

Why would you get them now with so many other choices?

They taste like s**t.

class78

All Australian
Jun 19, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide

They taste like s**t.

Taste like soft drink really

Apr 7, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Coney Island, GWS, The Exers!

They taste like s**t.

its different depending where you are, i know when i worked with professional alcoholics the older ones would would smash UDL's as "they* can't smell it, on you". while the young ones used to come to parties with nothing but vodka cruisers.

*bosses

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Reckon the price has got more to do with it to be honest.

Figure13.3.2.jpg

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
They say that the reason for the high price of smokes is due to the drain of smokers on the health system, and plain packaging etc is their way of 'supporting' that. Really what they want is our money in their pockets.
Years ago at my tennis club someone asked a smoker if they were going to quit due to the recent price rise. His reply was it's an extra, what, $2 a pack? It's **** all when you still gotta smoke. If they really wanted to get us smokers to quit they would just double the price overnight that would provide motivation but they raise it just a bit to get more revenue.

Jul 7, 2003
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Swansea, Wizards
The longer we keep smoking, the happier the government is.

Being able to tax something that people are hopelessly addicted to while positioning themselves in the media in a way that they are doing us a favour.

Rubbish.

It's criminal how much tax we pay and hate when people say "ooohhhhh your a cost to the health system". If the government actually used the tax we pay on the health system we'd contribute 100x more to the health system than we cost it.

Plain packaging is a load of s**t.

The government raising the price in small increments so we don't really notice is also bullshit.

Tax-fat not ciggeretes

Back