Senior Player contract status list

Remove this Banner Ad

Smedts and Hyphen have re-signed recently for 2 more years, hopefully we can keep them coming :thumbsu:

In terms of the remaining players to be signed, I thought I'd try and rank the order of priority (in my opinion). Though we want to keep them all of course, it's an interesting exercise.
Note: I have excluded all players over 30 from this as they are not likely to be targeted by other clubs, they will either retire or sign new 1 year deals with us.

1. Harry Taylor (obviously)
2. Allen Christensen
3. Steven Motlop
4. Cameron Guthrie
5. Mathew Stokes
6. *Mark Blicavs
7. Dawson Simpson
8. Jordan Murdoch
9. *Josh Walker
10. Jed Bews
11. Shane Kersten
12. Joel Hamling
13. Jordan Schroder
14. Lincoln McCarthy
15. *Cam Eardley
16. Josh Cowan
17. *George Burbury
18. *Jackson Sheringham
19. *Ryan Bathie
*denotes rookie
Blitz has come from nowehere to shoot up the list with a bullet.

Simpson is a small sample size (2 games) but based on his form and Hamish's non appearance, he starts to become a priority.

The rookies are always hard to rate, and Walker in particular was hard for me to rate, however I expect him to be elevated, and talls always carry more trade value than smalls, and as such he goes up the list.

Smedts and Hyphen have re-signed recently for 2 more years, hopefully we can keep them coming :thumbsu:

In terms of the remaining players to be signed, I thought I'd try and rank the order of priority (in my opinion). Though we want to keep them all of course, it's an interesting exercise.
Note: I have excluded all players over 30 from this as they are not likely to be targeted by other clubs, they will either retire or sign new 1 year deals with us.

1. Harry Taylor (obviously)
2. Allen Christensen
3. Steven Motlop
4. Cameron Guthrie
5. Mathew Stokes
6. *Mark Blicavs
7. Dawson Simpson
8. Jordan Murdoch
9. *Josh Walker
10. Jed Bews
11. Shane Kersten
12. Joel Hamling
13. Jordan Schroder
14. Lincoln McCarthy
15. *Cam Eardley
16. Josh Cowan
17. *George Burbury
18. *Jackson Sheringham
19. *Ryan Bathie
*denotes rookie
Blitz has come from nowehere to shoot up the list with a bullet.

Simpson is a small sample size (2 games) but based on his form and Hamish's non appearance, he starts to become a priority.

The rookies are always hard to rate, and Walker in particular was hard for me to rate, however I expect him to be elevated, and talls always carry more trade value than smalls, and as such he goes up the list.

By all reports # 1 is a done deal.
2 - I would expect no issues there as its probably waiting #1 details to get finalised before seeing what is left over the next 4 years..
3&4 - see 2.
5 - will go around again. Could not see him leaving BUT the $$ option may tempt him knowing that his spot is good only as long as he plays like this year. Hope he stays but reality is we will loose someone at somepoint...
6 - Still hoping for a rerookie with max $ deals and promises of early season promotion. Dreamy sure but it would help us massively.
7 - 3 games in... sign him now.
8 - 19 Expect all to get re-signed. Exceptions are 13, 18, 19. Kersten is a worry with the homesickness too.

Go Catters

just listening to enright on AFL 360 tonight. not confident he'll be going around again unfortunately

say it is not so....!:(:(:(

One more Boris... one more Boris... One More Boris...

Go Catters

just listening to enright on AFL 360 tonight. not confident he'll be going around again unfortunately
say it is not so....!:(:(:(

One more Boris... one more Boris... One More Boris...

Go Catters

I am the same... we win the flag this year he will pull the pin
.... otherwise I don't think he knows either way

Scarlo is pretty keen on him playing for South Barwon next year as well...

I am the same... we win the flag this year he will pull the pin
.... otherwise I don't think he knows either way

Scarlo is pretty keen on him playing for South Barwon next year as well...

If (lid is on) we snag it this year I tend to agree that he would go. 4 time AA, 4 flags... pretty full resume and nothing left to prove.

Talent and ability wise it is still there... The drive is too as nothing he does is half speed.

It is his life however and a new baby in the house....

Go Catters

Sounds like Mots is getting close to penning with us again. No facts but heard of a 3 yr deal.... 350ish per year...

Sounds under market given his form in the last 12 weeks... :thumbsu:

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bathie, Ryan 2013
Bews, Jed 2013
Blicavs, Mark 2013
Burbury, George 2013
Chapman, Paul 2013
Christensen, Allen 2013
Corey, Joel 2013
Cowan, Josh 2013
Eardley, Cam 2013
Enright, Corey 2013
Guthrie, Cameron 2013
Hamling, Joel 2013
Kersten, Shane 2013
McCarthy, Lincoln 2013
Murdoch, Jordan 2013
Podsiadly, James 2013
Schroder, Jordan 2013
Sheringham, Jackson 2013
Simpson, Dawson 2013
Stokes, Mathew 2013
Walker, Josh 2013

Italics is a Rookie.
Blue Italics is at end of 3 year rookie limit and either upgrade or delist.
Green is a FA.

How the @#%@# hell are we supposed to cut 5 or so of these names.
Rookies wont help the senior list either.
If all the Green go again, its gonna be stupid hard.

It seems so counter intuitive to invest time, money and effort into developing these players only to have to cut them and take new fresh talent that may never come on any good.

So being a harsh prick, here goes. And these are made on performance and my crappy opinions only.

Bathie, Ryan 2013 CUT - Will play at another club.
Bews, Jed 2013 - Re-sign for 2 more years
Blicavs, Mark 2013 Ask for faith from him and keep Rookie for 1 more year. Gets Senior promotion before Rd 1 next year from Menzel LTI
Burbury, George 2013 - Signed for 2 year deal from Rookie list
Chapman, Paul 2013 - Retires
Christensen, Allen 2013 3 year deal
Corey, Joel 2013 - Retires
Cowan, Josh 2013 2 year deal
Eardley, Cam 2013 Rookie list again
Enright, Corey 2013 1 year deal
Guthrie, Cameron 2013 3 year deal
Hamling, Joel 2013 2 year deal
Kersten, Shane 2013 2 year deal
McCarthy, Lincoln 2013 CUT - Re draft to Rookie list until healthy
Murdoch, Jordan 2013 2 Year deal
Podsiadly, James 2013 1 year deal
Schroder, Jordan 2013 CUT - Re draft to Rookie list if possible.
Sheringham, Jackson 2013 Cut
Simpson, Dawson 2013 2 year deal
Stokes, Mathew 2013 2 year deal
Walker, Josh 2013 Signed for 2 year deal from Rookie List

That leaves us 2 ND picks and 2 upgraded Rookies. Chappy and Smithy retire and Schredder and McCarthy are cut with the aim to redraft as Rookies.
A horrible hour i spent doing this.
2014 Rookies would be Blitz, Eardley, McCarthy and Schredder.

Go Catters

updated OP with stokesy.

need Bundy, Motlop, Blitz, Simpson and Murda next. And Burbury right after that

sign the older brigade on 1 year deals if they wanna play on; Enright, J Hunt, Chappy, Corey

Bathie, Ryan 2013
Bews, Jed 2013
Blicavs, Mark 2013
Burbury, George 2013
Chapman, Paul 2013
Christensen, Allen 2013
Corey, Joel 2013
Cowan, Josh 2013
Eardley, Cam 2013
Enright, Corey 2013
Guthrie, Cameron 2013
Hamling, Joel 2013
Kersten, Shane 2013
McCarthy, Lincoln 2013
Murdoch, Jordan 2013
Podsiadly, James 2013
Schroder, Jordan 2013
Sheringham, Jackson 2013
Simpson, Dawson 2013
Stokes, Mathew 2013
Walker, Josh 2013

Italics is a Rookie.
Blue Italics is at end of 3 year rookie limit and either upgrade or delist.
Green is a FA.

How the @#%@# hell are we supposed to cut 5 or so of these names.
Rookies wont help the senior list either.
If all the Green go again, its gonna be stupid hard.

It seems so counter intuitive to invest time, money and effort into developing these players only to have to cut them and take new fresh talent that may never come on any good.

So being a harsh prick, here goes. And these are made on performance and my crappy opinions only.

Bathie, Ryan 2013 CUT - Will play at another club.
Bews, Jed 2013 - Re-sign for 2 more years
Blicavs, Mark 2013 Ask for faith from him and keep Rookie for 1 more year. Gets Senior promotion before Rd 1 next year from Menzel LTI
Burbury, George 2013 - Signed for 2 year deal from Rookie list
Chapman, Paul 2013 - Retires
Christensen, Allen 2013 3 year deal
Corey, Joel 2013 - Retires
Cowan, Josh 2013 2 year deal
Eardley, Cam 2013 Rookie list again
Enright, Corey 2013 1 year deal
Guthrie, Cameron 2013 3 year deal
Hamling, Joel 2013 2 year deal
Kersten, Shane 2013 2 year deal
McCarthy, Lincoln 2013 CUT - Re draft to Rookie list until healthy
Murdoch, Jordan 2013 2 Year deal
Podsiadly, James 2013 1 year deal
Schroder, Jordan 2013 CUT - Re draft to Rookie list if possible.
Sheringham, Jackson 2013 Cut
Simpson, Dawson 2013 2 year deal
Stokes, Mathew 2013 2 year deal
Walker, Josh 2013 Signed for 2 year deal from Rookie List

That leaves us 2 ND picks and 2 upgraded Rookies. Chappy and Smithy retire and Schredder and McCarthy are cut with the aim to redraft as Rookies.
A horrible hour i spent doing this.
2014 Rookies would be Blitz, Eardley, McCarthy and Schredder.

Go Catters
i think West will probably ask for a trade which we will accommodate which will open up a spot

i think West will probably ask for a trade which we will accommodate which will open up a spot
Was only looking at uncontracted players but that was probably too myopic. If Westy does go, then retain m
McCarthy with a 1 yr deal. Probably more upside after injury than Schroeder.

Go Catters

Good work DB.

I find it hard to disagree with your analysis and choices.

Word has it that it is possible Enright might retire so that may change things. I hope not as he is a real gun - best old player we have by a mile.

If we keep McIntosh maybe West should go - and as you say this allows McCarthy or Shredder to say on the list.

What are the arguments for and against these two - who is a better bet. Have not seen McCarthy really due to injury and some posters here are a big rap for him. On the other hand Shredder has looked ok to me and really would not like to lose him.

I find it hard to believe we could delist and rookie him - surely someone would take him with a late pick ? years in the system and the Geelong system. Better than most pick 70's + I would have thought.

Is Burbury a better chance than Shredder ?

Obviously we need desperately to get Blicavs to stay a Rookie. That may not happen and then who gets chopped to make way for Blicavs ?

We may think HMac is suspect re injuries and keep West - so that option for keeping McCarthy (or Shredder) will not exist.

Personally the best outcome would be -

Blicavs - stays a rookie
West gets traded and we upgrade our second round pick
Corey retires
Chappy retires

Bathie and Sherringham get cut as rookies.

Upgrade Walker and Burbury and have 2 ND picks and 2 rookie pics.

This is a risk as we may need West - and it depends on Simpson and HMac being fit. Efven then we cannot play HMac and Simpson in the same team - so Blicavs then becomes the second ruckman.

So no ideal situation exists IMO.

If we keep West then (and Enright plays on) then we need delist either Shredder or Lincoln.

Good work DB.

I find it hard to disagree with your analysis and choices.

Word has it that it is possible Enright might retire so that may change things. I hope not as he is a real gun - best old player we have by a mile.

If we keep McIntosh maybe West should go - and as you say this allows McCarthy or Shredder to say on the list.

What are the arguments for and against these two - who is a better bet. Have not seen McCarthy really due to injury and some posters here are a big rap for him. On the other hand Shredder has looked ok to me and really would not like to lose him.

I find it hard to believe we could delist and rookie him - surely someone would take him with a late pick ? years in the system and the Geelong system. Better than most pick 70's + I would have thought.

Is Burbury a better chance than Shredder ?

Obviously we need desperately to get Blicavs to stay a Rookie. That may not happen and then who gets chopped to make way for Blicavs ?

We may think HMac is suspect re injuries and keep West - so that option for keeping McCarthy (or Shredder) will not exist.

Personally the best outcome would be -

Blicavs - stays a rookie
West gets traded and we upgrade our second round pick
Corey retires
Chappy retires

Bathie and Sherringham get cut as rookies.

Upgrade Walker and Burbury and have 2 ND picks and 2 rookie pics.

This is a risk as we may need West - and it depends on Simpson and HMac being fit. Efven then we cannot play HMac and Simpson in the same team - so Blicavs then becomes the second ruckman.

So no ideal situation exists IMO.

If we keep West then (and Enright plays on) then we need delist either Shredder or Lincoln.

Like all the options they all have a shitty downside. I kept Burbs based on his age, upside and development over the 3 years. He came he really as an elite rower and has managed senior games. Great leap and defensive ability. Is pretty quick too and has a reasonable tank. Schredder is tougher and harder at it but slower. More inside than outside.

No good answer to be honest. Both deserve a spot but that is my 2 cents...

Go Catters

I have it on VERY good authority that Kersten will re-sign with Geelong. Cant say too much yet but the source is very good...

Go Catters

Surprising and good to hear Daz. Perhaps he is happy even though he hasn't broken thru for a game yet.
I did think a Kersten/Eardley trade to WC/Freo may have been possible
Let's forget you said that. :p

Surprising and good to hear Daz. Perhaps he is happy even though he hasn't broken thru for a game yet.
I did think a Kersten/Eardley trade to WC/Freo may have been possible
Let's just say certain Nullaboor west locales had their chances to draft him on more than one occasion and didn't. THere is not a lot of luv to go back right now... Good for us....but nothing is signed yet..
Go Catters

Let's just say certain Nullaboor west locales had their chances to draft him on more than one occasion and didn't. THere is not a lot of luv to go back right now... Good for us....but nothing is signed yet..
Go Catters

Thats something I probably under value. The amount of appreciation for actually being drafted. I remember Stokes mouthing similar things. Looking at the draft both clubs had 2 picks so you are probably right.Still I go back a little further , Carlton once told a little fat guy he was too short , too slow . So he went back to Bendigo till we gave him a chance. Didn't stop him going back there eventually.

I have it on VERY good authority that Kersten will re-sign with Geelong. Cant say too much yet but the source is very good...

Go Catters

Your reputation is at stake with that quote Daz.
I hope that it remains intact because I think that he is too talented to let go.
I also feel that since we have lost Menzel and Stevie J has moved the the center we have lacked a marking option other the the KPF's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back