List Mgmt. Player Contracts Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely. One year is good, see how he goes in 2012 and if he gets some form back, pen another one year deal for 2013.

m.clark is def worth pick 12 - draft picks are bloody hit and miss, m.clark is a can not miss however the contract is way to expensive but we have to pay someone stupid money to even reach 92.5% of the cap and it was the only way he was coming to us

getting rid of warnock was a mistake, not every player on the list has to develop into a gun or simply get delisted - we need some depth incase another tall defender gets injured there is a great backup who is solid at afl level - man these clubs never learn

getting rid of warnock was a mistake, not every player on the list has to develop into a gun or simply get delisted - we need some depth incase another tall defender gets injured there is a great backup who is solid at afl level - man these clubs never learn

I'm gonna go ahead and trust our list management on this one buddy

m.clark is def worth pick 12 - draft picks are bloody hit and miss, m.clark is a can not miss however the contract is way to expensive but we have to pay someone stupid money to even reach 92.5% of the cap and it was the only way he was coming to us

You're just a negative little sod ain't you, we had the money why not spend it, we got someone who we needed we did what was needed to get him...

Fair enough, you don't know me from topsy.
I don't doubt that you may well know the guy and he may well have told you about his next contract.

My idea with this thread was for only sourced concrete links to be used to update players. If we get to the draft with nothing more than there is now I will more him to 'unknown' (i.e. we will know he's contracted but not know for sure how many years).

I don't doubt that you may well know the guy and he may well have told you about his next contract.

My idea with this thread was for only sourced concrete links to be used to update players. If we get to the draft with nothing more than there is now I will more him to 'unknown' (i.e. we will know he's contracted but not know for sure how many years).

Completely fair and reasonable. Maybe we should ping Matt Burgan and get him to write an article on Jack's new contract - I'll see if there's a link on the official site

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How long are recent draftees usually contracted for? By that I mean Sellar, Taggert and Tynan...
2 yrs minimum for ND and 1 yr minimum for RD I beleive.

On another note, is it fair to say we have recontracted both Macdonald and Fitzpatrick?

List lodgement 3 was last wednesday.

As we all know Free Agency will be in effect as of the end of 2012.

8 Years of service to the 1 club will mean restricted FA options and 10 years of service to the 1 club will mean unrestricted FA options.

Details here.

In light of this I thought perhaps it would be informative to add to the contract status of each player how many years they have spent on the senior list as at the end of the current year.

Deestroy, you may or may not want to add this but I'll put the numbers here just for anyone else's interest:

Code:
Age 30+ (1) - Yrs on SL at end of 2012

Green - 13yrs

25 - 29 (7)

Davey - 9yrs

Jamar - 10yrs

Macdonald - 3yrs

Moloney - 8yrs

Rivers - 10yrs

Sylvia - 9yrs

Martin - 5yrs

20 - 24 (30)

Bate - 8yrs

Clark - 1yr

Dunn - 8yrs

Magner

Bail - 4yrs

Bartram - 7yrs

Couch

Frawley - 6yrs

Garland - 6yrs

Jones - 7yrs

Jurrah - 4yrs

Petterd - 6yrs

Grimes - 5yrs

Sellar - 1yr

Spencer - 2yrs

Bennell - 4yrs

Howe - 2yrs

Jetta - 4yrs

McKenzie - 2yrs

Morton - 5yrs

Nicholson

Strauss - 4yrs

Williams

Blease - 4yrs

Fitzpatrick - 3yrs

Gawn - 3yrs

Gysberts - 3yrs

Trengove - 3yrs

Tapscott - 3yrs

Watts - 4yrs

Teenagers (8)

Cook - 2yrs

Davis - 2yrs

Evans

Lawrence

McDonald - 2yrs

Sheahan

Taggert - 1yr

Tynan - 1yr

It really puts a few things into perspective. If you look at Jones who I think we all agree still has his best ahead of him, he'll be in the restricted window as of the end of next year!

There is mega value in trading in players like we did with Clark.

There is value in developing promising rookies and keeping them on the rookie list as long as possible like Nicholson. Well, I say this if my understanding of "being on a list" means the actual senior list. If rookie list yrs count towards a players time at a club then this point is moot.

In principle, drafting 17 yr olds in the ND essentially brings their window 1 yr closer compared to drafting an 18 yr old in the same draft. By that I mean you will get 1 less year at the top end out of them prior to the restricted FA window. e.g Watts will hit the window after he turns 25 whereas Bennell (who was drafted in the same draft) will hit the window after he turns 26 so we get an extra year out of Bennell at the top end.

Mature age draftees and rookies look better in this regard. If Magner (for example) can make it long term and get elevated to the senior list at the end of 2012 then we would probably have seen his best before the restricted window opens for him.

Obviously the contractual circumstances of our list will play a part in the 8/9 yr stages of players and you'd expect our better players will be on more money but at this point it is probably better to keep the analysis simple.

Here's the official Free Agent List for yr ending 2012.

We kind of knew anyway who ours were but here's our list:

Unrestricted: Bate, Dunn, Green, Jamar, Rivers

Restricted: Moloney

(I'll update this as new contracts are signed - Jamar being the most important it seems).

Some twitter chatter that Howe and Jones are close to signing on; they along with Garland and McDonald would have to be the priorities you'd think.

Suspect we're going to lose at least a couple of Petterd, Bate, Dunn and Moloney. Just hope the club is targeting replacements, I don't see what we can benefit from stocking up with any more kids than we will already earn with a poor year.

MELBOURNE has re-signed Colin Garland and Jordie McKenzie until the end of 2015 and Tom McDonald until the end of 2014.

From MFC website

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back