Player Origin Breakdown

Remove this Banner Ad

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I started a thread like this last week in the Swans sub-forum and I thought it would be interesting to see GWS's version. I thought it would be interesting to analyse the origin of the Giants list and see how the club is going in terms of producing their own talent through the academy. Seeing as ACT is a part of the GWS zone I will include it as one with NSW. There are currently 47 players at the GWS Giants:

Victoria (28 players, 60%)
Paul Ahern
Tomas Bugg
Matt Buntine
Jeremy Cameron
Aidan Corr
Tom Downie
Tim Golds
Toby Greene
Nick Haynes
Will Hoskin-Elliott
Josh Kelly
Adam Kennedy
Jed Lamb
Caleb Marchbank
Patrick McKenna
Shane Mumford
Jonathan Patton
Lachie Plowman
Tom Scully
Heath Shaw
Dylan Shiel
Devon Smith
James Stewart
Liam Sumner
Adam Tomlinson
Adam Treloar
Callan Ward
Lachie Whitfield

New South Wales/Australian Capital Territory (7 players, 15%)
Dylan Addison
Jake Barrett
Jeremy Finlayson (academy)
Sam Schulz
Jack Steele (academy)
Jacob Townsend
Zac Williams

Western Australia (6 players, 13%)
Stephen Coniglio
Rory Lobb
Cam McCarthy
Rhys Palmer
Jarrod Pickett
Nathan Wilson

South Australia (3 players, 6%)
Phil Davis
Ryan Griffen
Joel Patfull

Tasmania (2 players, 4%)
Tim Mohr
Andrew Phillips

Northern Territory (1 player, 2%)
Curtly Hampton

I know Davis was born in Canberra but for the sake of this thread he is considered a South Australian. I think Aidan Corr was born in Ireland but for this thread he is considered a Victorian. So, as you can see, the list is overwhelmingly Victorian but I think it's fair to say a lot of that has to do with the concessions the club received on entry to the AFL. Having 15% of your list hail from NSW/ACT isn't bad but ideally you want that higher like the Swans who have 31% of their list from NSW. You probably want more coming out of your academy too but that'll come with time I would have thought.

Do you guys have an ideal number of NSW/ACT players you'd like to see on your list? I reckon 25% is a good number to aim for when it comes to developing talent out of your own academy/home state.

We've lost some NSW/ACT players already: Bruce and Miles for example. I'd like to be in a position where we take all our draftees from the Academy, as Sydney did last year, but I'd prefer we fill from best available until we have the luxury of choosing purely for development.

(btw Williams and Breust were also GWS Academy players)

Good to see more New South Welshmen being drafted into the AFL last night. Giants have hit 12 now and probably more to come in the rookie draft. This means more than 25% of the list comes from NSW.

Isaac Cumming (Broken Hill)
Jeremy Finlayson (Culcairn)
Matthew Flynn (Narrandera)
Harrison Himmelberg (Mangoplah)
Jacob Hopper (Leeton)
Matthew Kennedy (Collingullie)
Daniel Lloyd (Killarney Vale)
Harry Perryman (Collingullie)
Will Setterfield (Albury)
Jake Stein (Penrith)
Lachlan Tiziani (Broken Hill)
Zac Williams (Narrandera)

Excellent thread.
Its great we are getting more and more NSWelshmen into the game and the top flight as well.

But ill be most excited when we start seeing lots of Western Sydney suburbs next to the names. A couple more years yet me thinks but it will happen.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Edit. To answer your question would love 30% from NSW with 50% of that from Western Sydney. A dream at the moment but one thats achievable.

We've lost some NSW/ACT players already: Bruce and Miles for example. I'd like to be in a position where we take all our draftees from the Academy, as Sydney did last year, but I'd prefer we fill from best available until we have the luxury of choosing purely for development.

Breust was swans academy wasn't he

Breust wasn't but Cunningham who is at the swans was

To answer your question would love 30% from NSW with 50% of that from Western Sydney. A dream at the moment but one thats achievable.
Mission accomplished. 13/43 (30.23%) hail from New South Wales:
  1. Isaac Cumming (Broken Hill)
  2. Jeremy Finlayson (Culcairn)
  3. Matthew Flynn (Narrandera)
  4. Harrison Himmelberg (Mangoplah)
  5. Jacob Hopper (Leeton)
  6. Matthew Kennedy (Collingullie)
  7. Daniel Lloyd (Killarney Vale)
  8. Harry Perryman (Collingullie)
  9. Will Setterfield (Albury)
  10. Zach Sproule (Albury)
  11. Jake Stein (Penrith)
  12. Lachlan Tiziani (Broken Hill)
  13. Zac Williams (Narrandera)
Is 50% of the list hailing from NSW a realistic goal in the next 5 years? That would mean an extra 7-8 New South Welshmen on top of the 13 they already have.

Mission accomplished. 13/43 (30.23%) hail from New South Wales:
  1. Isaac Cumming (Broken Hill)
  2. Jeremy Finlayson (Culcairn)
  3. Matthew Flynn (Narrandera)
  4. Harrison Himmelberg (Mangoplah)
  5. Jacob Hopper (Leeton)
  6. Matthew Kennedy (Collingullie)
  7. Daniel Lloyd (Killarney Vale)
  8. Harry Perryman (Collingullie)
  9. Will Setterfield (Albury)
  10. Zach Sproule (Albury)
  11. Jake Stein (Penrith)
  12. Lachlan Tiziani (Broken Hill)
  13. Zac Williams (Narrandera)
Is 50% of the list hailing from NSW a realistic goal in the next 5 years? That would mean an extra 7-8 New South Welshmen on top of the 13 they already have.
But not the amount of western sydney boys.

We will get there

But not the amount of western sydney boys.

We will get there

Shipley is almost definitely going to be drafted to the Giants this off season. Right? That would be at least two western Sydney boys (Shipley and Stein) and a whole bunch of Riverina kids. Are there any other Giants academy kids likely to be picked up in this draft?

Shipley is almost definitely going to be drafted to the Giants this off season. Right? That would be at least two western Sydney boys (Shipley and Stein) and a whole bunch of Riverina kids. Are there any other Giants academy kids likely to be picked up in this draft?
Nick might end up rookie listed, but would be great if he got picked up in the draft by us. Myers (Wagga) and Powell (Canberra) other chances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nick might end up rookie listed, but would be great if he got picked up in the draft by us. Myers (Wagga) and Powell (Canberra) other chances.
Thanks mate. Are any of the current NSW boys at the Giants on the chopping block?

Great news about Hopper yesterday but I did notice a few recent articles about him (including SEN yesterday) refer to him being a Victorian native. Much like the reports last year about Steele "returning" to Melbourne. Lines like that get into people's heads and regurgitated constantly.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Lloyd is the only one that isn't safe but he is easily worth another year on the rookie List.

He is from central coast
I think it's an outstanding achievement to already have 30% of the list coming from NSW and finishing top 4 in the league two years running. Sure, guys like Josh Kelly will probably leave but then there will be high quality locals there to replace them like Setterfield. Then the process continues as the academy continues to produce draftees year after year. Before you know it, more than half the team will be from NSW.

Great news about Hopper yesterday but I did notice a few recent articles about him (including SEN yesterday) refer to him being a Victorian native. Much like the reports last year about Steele "returning" to Melbourne. Lines like that get into people's heads and regurgitated constantly.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
It's comical, isn't it? I remember them saying Tom Hickey was Victorian too but he was born and raised in Brisbane.

I think it's an outstanding achievement to already have 30% of the list coming from NSW and finishing top 4 in the league two years running. Sure, guys like Josh Kelly will probably leave but then there will be high quality locals there to replace them like Setterfield. Then the process continues as the academy continues to produce draftees year after year. Before you know it, more than half the team will be from NSW.
That's the hope that eventually the academy will result in a majority local playing list

I'm pretty confident the Giants will reach 50% before any of the other northern AFL teams.
Well the zone reductions have changed that prediction I think as we won't have priority access to branded, spargo, peach etc.

As long as we don't lose broken hill, Wagga Wagga and ACT then we could possibly reach 50% within 5 years

Well the zone reductions have changed that prediction I think as we won't have priority access to branded, spargo, peach etc.

As long as we don't lose broken hill, Wagga Wagga and ACT then we could possibly reach 50% within 5 years
Canberra is a big resource for you guys. Relatively big population (400k odd) and a decent AFL following. Virtually anything south or around Wagga is also a potential hotbed for AFL talent. Who would have thought a little town like Colingullie would produce two top 15 picks in a matter of a few years? It's great to see rural areas producing players but the AFL will want local Sydneysiders coming through as well.

Canberra is a big resource for you guys. Relatively big population (400k odd) and a decent AFL following. Virtually anything south or around Wagga is also a potential hotbed for AFL talent. Who would have thought a little town like Colingullie would produce two top 15 picks in a matter of a few years? It's great to see rural areas producing players but the AFL will want local Sydneysiders coming through as well.
Shipley is a sure thing for me and Owen-auburn shapes as a rookie possibility also from western Sydney

Honestly can't see Myers attracting a bid but Powell is our best academy prospect and with Kennedy looking likely to depart we would want more local influx
Powell should be be to mid to late 3rd round at the earliest, so minimal point cost

Remove this Banner Ad

Back