Smoke_Me_AKipper

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Tottenham; Philadelphia Eagles
FWIW I think it is a clever marketing ploy that keeps the Saints in the news over the finals period for the right reasons.

Yes to some it's like - why can't you do it all at once? And yes people on here all know more than your average football supporter as we are all St Kilda Tragics, (which is good thing).

This is a positive move by the club who is trying to do things differently.

I'm a consultant and the company where I'm currently at - their theme for the year is "Brilliantly Different". How can we do things differently? Well it sounds like the club has asked themselves the same question. This is different. I haven't heard of another club doing this kind of thing before so it is new. It creates excitement. I think the club should be congratulated on what they are doing.

It was the same at the B&F. The evening was well done. The moments booths, the silent auction for jumpers, the viewfinders on the tables (very retro), and even the way they talked/presented the video highlights of the season. It was different, clever, slick, and went down well, (well I can't remember any complaints - apart from the food but that is more against the Palladium then the club).

Over the last year there have been countless posts on here commending the club about the way they are going about it. This is yet another example of that.

Probably the most important thing is this. As well as keeping us keen and wanting to support the club the club needs to build up our membership again (only 30k members - the worst apart from the two expansion clubs), re-engage with lapsed members (there are 10k of them in the last 4 years alone), and bring on new sponsors. What they are doing right now will no doubt go a long way to help them do this.

Billings, just because both him and dunstan are the future, played a number of games in their first year, and we as saints supporters already love what they can do. I don't have any sources, but tomorrow arvo, we will know.

looks like I was wrong. - Saunders is Day 2.

Manimal_Dunstan

Cancelled
10k Posts
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
that would be the fifteen in fifteen days, I think it is a great idea this saints fest, as it keeps supporters and any sponsers informed and up to date, it is a great marketing ploy by the club, and a win win win for everyone. saints are on the right track, very important to keep the list together.
Pretty sure it is every day of the week so 21 signings in 21 days it will be.

Mowman

Cancelled
Day Off
Veteran St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2023 10k Posts St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2022 St Kilda - James Frawley Player Sponsor 2021 Saints Pledge Contributor St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019
May 19, 2013
Has Josh shown enough so far to get a 3 year deal ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nutsngum

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 14, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers FC
Good, I really like Saunders. He seems to fill that forward flanker role really well and has stepped up at times to kick goals when we were failing to find anyone else to do so.

Plus he is just a goofy looking bastard and I like that!

One wonders how much his date at the B&F was the tipping point for his renewal: "Any man who can punch THAT far above his weight, clearly has unrealised potential..."

12Chill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
I like Saunders, gives his all and can be a very good player, kicks goals. Was unsure of his future after he struggled to get games in the latter half of the season, but happy that he's got a contract.

Good, I really like Saunders. He seems to fill that forward flanker role really well and has stepped up at times to kick goals when we were failing to find anyone else to do so.

Plus he is just a goofy looking bastard and I like that!

I like his look, it's a bit young Gary Ablett and a little like he sleeps in his car. I love his pace too, he's got something in my opinion. He and Wright have a few things to improve on but both look likely types.

Sunshine Saint

Cancelled
St Kilda - Player Sponsor Nathan Wright 2015 St Kilda - Nathan Wright Player Sponsor 2014 St Kilda Saints - Tom Ledger Sponsor 2013
Dec 1, 2011
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Mitta United, Tapalinga, St Marys
FWIW I think it is a clever marketing ploy that keeps the Saints in the news over the finals period for the right reasons.

Yes to some it's like - why can't you do it all at once? And yes people on here all know more than your average football supporter as we are all St Kilda Tragics, (which is good thing).

This is a positive move by the club who is trying to do things differently.

I'm a consultant and the company where I'm currently at - their theme for the year is "Brilliantly Different". How can we do things differently? Well it sounds like the club has asked themselves the same question. This is different. I haven't heard of another club doing this kind of thing before so it is new. It creates excitement. I think the club should be congratulated on what they are doing.

It was the same at the B&F. The evening was well done. The moments booths, the silent auction for jumpers, the viewfinders on the tables (very retro), and even the way they talked/presented the video highlights of the season. It was different, clever, slick, and went down well, (well I can't remember any complaints - apart from the food but that is more against the Palladium then the club).

Over the last year there have been countless posts on here commending the club about the way they are going about it. This is yet another example of that.

Probably the most important thing is this. As well as keeping us keen and wanting to support the club the club needs to build up our membership again (only 30k members - the worst apart from the two expansion clubs), re-engage with lapsed members (there are 10k of them in the last 4 years alone), and bring on new sponsors. What they are doing right now will no doubt go a long way to help them do this.

Great post Smoky :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Sunshine Saint

Cancelled
St Kilda - Player Sponsor Nathan Wright 2015 St Kilda - Nathan Wright Player Sponsor 2014 St Kilda Saints - Tom Ledger Sponsor 2013
Dec 1, 2011
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Mitta United, Tapalinga, St Marys
Would have thought that today was Billings, but quite possible a deliberate thing by the club, as they don't want to have a grading system, where the best is first all the way down to the 21st player. By mixing the list up and the order of the announcements it gives equal weight to each. Thought has gone into this. Well done.

May 31, 2008
Canberra
AFL Club
St Kilda
Would have thought that today was Billings, but quite possible a deliberate thing by the club, as they don't want to have a grading system, where the best is first all the way down to the 21st player. By mixing the list up and the order of the announcements it gives equal weight to each. Thought has gone into this. Well done.

I would have thought they would want to maintain interest the whole way through. By signing all of the most promising players at the start, they might lose interest quickly after that. Now people are hopefully still wondering what will happen with Billings, Templeton, Acres etc and will keep paying attention to the "Saints Future Fest".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back