List Mgmt. Player Replacements

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
NH
This is an interesting point actually. Monfries' contract ends on October 31. Presumably we would not be able to recontract him during the banned period. Therefore, we will have to pick him up as a delisted free agent when the ban ends in November.

Ryder's contract would just resume as normal the day the ban ends.
He is banned from playing for the club and representing the club. He isnt banned from entering into a new contract with the club. He is allowed to talk to officials of the club.

Jul 17, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
NH

He is banned from playing for the club and representing the club. He isnt banned from entering into a new contract with the club. He is allowed to talk to officials of the club.
Are you sure? we still haven't received clarification about anything yet. As far as I know they're not allowed to talk to anyone involved with the club about football or anything football related.

PAFC66

Down a dark alley
Feb 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
NH

Pretty sure thats not the case. The club sent off a letter to the AFL on the 26th of last month and still havent got a reply regarding what these players can and can't do..

Garibaldi Red

Cancelled
Bring Back the Bars
Jul 22, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Nottingham Forest
NH

He is also allowed to start training with us in September so we could also have those discussions with him then. In the meantime we chat through his Manager.

Boxx

Premiership Player
Mar 2, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
Put it this way, by the looks of it the "Brothers" had a bus trip today which left from the club - there were a couple of small bus' loaded with Aboriginal players and a large group of others who I didnt know, maybe academy members - they picked Ryder up on the corner near the chicken shop (where I was getting a bag of hot chips... highly recommended).

To me, it appeared that he is not allowed to go anywhere near the club!

Put it this way, by the looks of it the "Brothers" had a bus trip today which left from the club - there were a couple of small bus' loaded with Aboriginal players and a large group of others who I didnt know, maybe academy members - they picked Ryder up on the corner near the chicken shop (where I was getting a bag of hot chips... highly recommended).

To me, it appeared that he is not allowed to go anywhere near the club!
Sounds sensibly handled provided the trip was organised privately. I'm not sure being picked up 150m from the club is adequate separation otherwise. Strange times.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
Any different to clubs not disclosing injury issues and end result is buyer beware? Sort of the same really. Simple rule, bypass Essendrugs in deals
As Ford Fairlane pointed out earlier this is totally different.

As I pointed out a couple of times in the Hot Topic - Drugs and AFL thread a few weeks ago, the nuffies can quote caveat emptor herp derp all they like but in the case of Monfries his ban for doping while at Essendon is a latent defect and caveat emptor does not apply.

What is more galling about the AFL's decision in regards to a top up player for Monfries is that they actually knew when they signed off on his trade that he was at risk of a two year ban and therefore that the latent defect was there.

of course they are still on our list but we arnt obliged to pay them.

I agree with you, but that's not what i've been arguing about. The main issue I took with PM's post was that he labelled them "banned essendon players"

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
On the topic of the AFL seeking the opinion of the non-affected clubs if we should be allowed a top-up player, this is analogous with the ACCC asking Telstra and Optus if Vodafone should be allowed to expand its mobile network coverage.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
..... To me, it appeared that he is not allowed to go anywhere near the club!
It has been reported that the players can't;

Play football at any organised level
Enter club rooms at grounds on match day
Enter their club’s premises
Train under club-devised programs

Are you sure? we still haven't received clarification about anything yet. As far as I know they're not allowed to talk to anyone involved with the club about football or anything football related.
Pretty sure thats not the case. The club sent off a letter to the AFL on the 26th of last month and still havent got a reply regarding what these players can and can't do..

From the 2010 AFL Anti-doping code

14.12 Status During Ineligibility
(a) Prohibition Against Participation During Ineligibility

No Player or other Person who has been declared Ineligible may, during the period of Ineligibility, participate in any capacity in a competition or activity (other than authorised anti-doping education or rehabilitation programs) authorised by the AFL or AFL Clubs, any Signatory or Signatory’s member organisation or a club or other member organisation of a Signatory’s member organisation, or in competitions organised by any professional league or any international or national level event organisation. A Player or other Person subject to a period of Ineligibility longer than four (4) years......

I cant find where the code says the player can return 2 months before the 13 November ban ends, but its been widely reported in the media.

Yes we need a clarification from the AFL how the banned players are allowed to do anything with a club, but it is a pretty big stretch to say a player who is now allowed to train at the club in September and October can't talk to club officials about his contract because that talking is - an activity authorised by the AFL.

And people wondering about payment of contracts during suspensions, its covered in the code at 14.12 subclause c

(c) Withholding of Financial Support during Ineligibility
In addition for any Anti Doping Rule Violation not involving Specified Substances, some or all sport related financial support or other sport related benefits received by such Player will be withheld by the AFL or the AFL Club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"He also said Port won't pay Ryder or Monfries at all and they were last paid in January."

Is this new? This occurring, freeing up cap space and Ryder and Monfries suing Essendon for loss of income would be perfect

RedCentrePower

Team Captain
Jun 1, 2014
Alice Springs
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It is an absolute "amateur hour schnozzle". They weren't at all prepared for this length of suspension and are just making it up as they go. Stuff Essendon, I hope the AFL are sued for a significant amount of cash by the people affected by this. My God the SANFL aren't even this incompetent. What a Rock Show!!

You are right. They have proven to be nothing less than a Quasi mob.

Jul 17, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
"He also said Port won't pay Ryder or Monfries at all and they were last paid in January."

Is this new? This occurring, freeing up cap space and Ryder and Monfries suing Essendon for loss of income would be perfect
The AFL will force the number to be included in the cap because we knew what we were getting into so we get no benefit from it.

Lawnchair Larry

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Out of interest I did a search of when the banned Essendon players last had their contracts renewed.
Did a Google search under the search expression "XXXX re-signs with Essendon"
I guess I am thinking about the "Buyer Beware" concept that everyone (but us) is on about, and just when that applies to the process of signing an internal contract with Essendon. When is that internal signing functionally equivalent to the Patrick Ryder external sign-up with Port?
Here is the data, make up your own mind.
Dates indicated are from the date indicated within the source

essendon contract renewals - banned players.png

Jul 17, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Out of interest I did a search of when the banned Essendon players last had their contracts renewed.
I guess I am thinking about the "Buyer Beware" concept that everyone (but us) is on about, and just when that applies to the process of signing an internal contract with Essendon. When is that internal signing functionally equivalent to the Patrick Ryder external sign-up with Port?

View attachment 212929
post it to the main board thread, wonder if they'll kick up a stink for Essendon doing the exact same as the four other teams affected... They won't because we're whiners.

Portmanteau

Behaviourz2Outcomz
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor
Jul 15, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Fox Sports FC
I'm sure this has been raised already - but you'd hope we are exploring Category B options. Surely there are some athletes out there with some background - think Blicavs, Bass, look into ex college basketballers. Someone with enough athleticism to compete/dominate in the taps, enable us to manage Frampton's workload, keep our options open to use and develop Dougal Howard as a key forward if Frampton is injured/promoted.

Boxx

Premiership Player
Mar 2, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
As for the payments... will Nuriootpa still have to pay Slattery's coaching salary for season 2016 as well as whoever they get to replace him?

This could potentially bust a country club!

Boxx

Premiership Player
Mar 2, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
I'm sure this has been raised already - but you'd hope we are exploring Category B options. Surely there are some athletes out there with some background - think Blicavs, Bass, look into ex college basketballers. Someone with enough athleticism to compete/dominate in the taps, enable us to manage Frampton's workload, keep our options open to use and develop Dougal Howard as a key forward if Frampton is injured/promoted.

Can Cat B rookies be elevated to the main list?

Leaveit2charlie

Club Legend
Jan 29, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Some 7 ft basketball player C Cornes was talking about at AGM. Maybe.

BrissyCrow

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg & Most Other Tiger Teams

View attachment 212929

As an opposition club I believe it is fair that you guys cant replace Ryder but I do believe that you should have been allowed to replace Monfries. If I use that same logic then Essendon shouldn't be allowed to top up any player that was given a new contract after 2013. That should mean at best, that only four of their current suspended players should be allowed to be replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back