Rumour Player Surnames On Back Of Jumper And FA compo Removed

Remove this Banner Ad

JezzaNameJumperSLIDER.jpg

http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2013-08-23/name-of-the-game

Actually don't mind that font and size. Reckon names should be at the clubs' discretion. If the GIANTS want it then go for it.

Numbers could be bigger though.

Last time I bought a jumper the numbers were an iron-on option using a press machine and each number was a separate template, presumably the player name would a separate template and would be an option too.

I like it for rep games such as state matches; but generally I think that fans memorise the numbers of their own teams players pretty quickly so names on jumpers aren't necessary otherwise.
The #19 was "You Idiot" for so long at Collingwood that last year it was a little strange to have to remember Elliott was running around in it. ;)

Last time I bought a jumper the numbers were an iron-on option using a press machine and each number was a separate template, presumably the player name would a separate template and would be an option too.

This is what I was wondering. Surely the fans buying any jumper would have the option of having the name and number pot just the number on its own so I can't see what all the fuss is about. I don't mind the idea, it won't put me out at all so whatever.

FA compo should only be there to replace roster positions. Do it like the NFL does if we must have FA Compo. Earliest possible compo pick is the 3rd round, regardless of how good the player is

I don't think the name will be a "blur" on TV. this is silly. i think watching jake neade run at full speed with the camera on his back, you'll still see his name, his name wont be running all over the back of the shirt. when there are a pack of players their names wont all be mashed together OK, it wont be some horrifying confusing spectacle where the alphabet is ruling the football field, people.

i don't believe it clutters the jumper at all, either. maybe the longer last names will be interesting but i'm sure they'll just curve around like in football:

1612613_120331221603_IMG_3807.JPG

Lets say you brought a guernsey in 2013 that Read:

#23 Franklin

Then as of 2014, that guernsey is completely useless.

lol it's not useless. that was Franklin's number for the 2013 season. nothing will ever change that. you can still wear it the next year. why not? worried about.. what? someone noticing and saying "hey.. he moved to sydney.. your jumper is now 'useless'"??? it shows you were a fan that year of that player.

Looks quite good to me.

I've not no problems with it. Seems to be another thing people rally against for the sake of not liking change. If we'd had names on jumpers for the last 50 years the same people would probably complain if they announced we were getting rid of them.

It works for those sports because they are played on a rectangular field. AFL is played on an oval which means the average spectator is much further away from the play. I'm not againt having names on jumpers becasue that's the fanshinal thing to do, i'm againts it becasue there's no point.

- The game moves to fast to capture the name on TV
- There's too many people on the field as it is to get the names properly
- Players will still be known

Fact of the matter is putting names on jumpers doesn't advantage the average footy fan, it only advantages people new to the game. Is it really worth it to please the 1% of fans who will know the names a year later?

good thing..I dont know all the players numbers from other teams and the name will help me identify them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah because the US is the only country that uses surnames on the back of sports jumpers/guernseys/jerseys...
207315-lionel-messi.jpg

Ronaldo-Portugal-HD.jpg

Soccer is played on a rectangle field not an oval. Its a different game. You'll find these sports use names because one player can play in many different competitions at the same team. Like a player may be number 11 for his club but when it comes to an international game for his national he finds 11 is unavailable. Players also regularly changes teams and as such can end their careers at multiple clubs and have multiple numbers. This isn't the culture of AFL, players play for their number not their name.

Soccer is played on a rectangle field not an oval. Its a different game. You'll find these sports use names because one player can play in many different competitions at the same team. Like a player may be number 11 for his club but when it comes to an international game for his national he finds 11 is unavailable. Players also regularly changes teams and as such can end their careers at multiple clubs and have multiple numbers. This isn't the culture of AFL, players play for their number not their name.
That is correct, I was just merely stating that surnames on the back is not exclusively an American concept but a worldwide one.

The Big Bash cricket shows how pointless it is to put names on backs.

The players need to have their backs to the camera, with the camera zoomed in & focused on each player. If it's a wide shot, or the camera is focused on something else, the names can't be read.

They're just unnecessary clutter on the tops.

The players need to have their backs to the camera, with the camera zoomed in & focused on each player. If it's a wide shot, or the camera is focused on something else, the names can't be read.

Somewhat gets it.

Good thing Cricket and Aussie Rules are two completely different sports then.

Good thing Cricket and Aussie Rules are two completely different sports then.

Actually it's the most accurate, the spectators, TV cameras and angles are pretty much the same. Using a sport that is played on an oval is a much better example the other sports like soccer and basketball.

Does it affect your enjoyment of the game? I honestly don't see why it matters, some people will find it useful at zero detriment to anyone else.

581971-kangaroos.jpg

This in image from Boomer's 312th normally the 312 would say NMFC, I'm wondering what would happen if names were introduced here? Clearly there simply isn't enough room.

Smaller number = Less visibility
Smaller sponsor logo = Less money
Smaller traditional design = Less heritage

The day we start hanging our jersey's up on the wall with the name and number facing out as opposed to the front is the day the AFL loses what makes it good. Ive got NFL, basketball and soccer jerseys up on my wall with the back of the jersey showing. but my essendon jersey has the front showing and im happy with the status quo!!

The day we start hanging our jersey's up on the wall with the name and number facing out as opposed to the front is the day the AFL loses what makes it good. Ive got NFL, basketball and soccer jerseys up on my wall with the back of the jersey showing. but my essendon jersey has the front showing and im happy with the status quo!!
You know you could...Not turn it around if you didn't want to??

You clearly don't mind it too much though, given you have the NFL, basketball and soccer ones.

So the biggest counter-argument to names on the back of the jumper is that we will start facing the jumpers the other way? And you think this would be the day the "AFL loses what makes it good." Ok.

It's good for marketing. What more do you need to know?
Players changing numbers down their careers can make these quite rare too, official club printed in name and number issues for a late pick rookie going on to be a star and getting a higher number could get collectible. Fyfe had 13 before his current #7, sure any 13 is any 13 but a Fyfe one would be rare as hens teeth compared to the Fyfe 7s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back