Toast Player you didnt rate but now impresses you

Remove this Banner Ad

Hill easily for me, going on his current form. Had him on the delist pile like many other people, but have been pleasantly surprised.

Not surprised by Cripps's form, Sheeds doing about as well as i thought, Sheppard has been good but we're expecting more now.

Sharrod i've always been a fan of, just had to see if Simmo could bring out his best, which it appears he has.

Jury's out on Schofield this year as he's yet to be seriously tested against a gorilla foward, until now.

Feb 9, 2012
PERTH
AFL Club
West Coast
Agree with most listed so far, Hill & Wellingham have been standouts for me. The only thing that gets me a bit, is reading a few comments from Hill over the last few days, and him saying he's realy putting in and it's the last year on his contract so he needs to prove to the club that he means business. The way I read it is was, he just strolled along for the first few years, knowing his position was pretty safe, and now that there might be a bit of pressure for him to get another contract, he pulls his finger out, Sharrod the same. Why not have that mentality every bloody year you are on AFL list?? It just seems a bit off, that you only put in your best efforts when you actually have something to lose.

jakethebear

Team Captain
Aug 10, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Scorchers
Agree with most listed so far, Hill & Wellingham have been standouts for me. The only thing that gets me a bit, is reading a few comments from Hill over the last few days, and him saying he's realy putting in and it's the last year on his contract so he needs to prove to the club that he means business. The way I read it is was, he just strolled along for the first few years, knowing his position was pretty safe, and now that there might be a bit of pressure for him to get another contract, he pulls his finger out, Sharrod the same. Why not have that mentality every bloody year you are on AFL list?? It just seems a bit off, that you only put in your best efforts when you actually have something to lose.
Maybe its not being lazy the rest of the time but more this scenario- I have a job, I work hard, I have job security. If i knew the company I was working for was considering getting someone else in my position i would be motivated 120% of the time, i'd probably do overtime and try to be even more effective until my job is once again secure.

Feb 9, 2012
PERTH
AFL Club
West Coast
Maybe its not being lazy the rest of the time but more this scenario- I have a job, I work hard, I have job security. If i knew the company I was working for was considering getting someone else in my position i would be motivated 120% of the time, i'd probably do overtime and try to be even more effective until my job is once again secure.

Yeah that's true, but I just don't think it sounds right when they say they are really trying because it's the last year of their contract. Surely you should be putting in 110% all the time if you are a professional sportsman.

Woobla Stainz

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2014
Perth NOR
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Real Madrid
thats why i liked it when Simmo said looks like Wellingham will be on one year contracts from now on, i guessing it will be the same for Hill

Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Players that have improved out of site this year:

Shep - Was talented but has either been injured or been thrown all over the field from the backline to the wing and up forward. I love how he plays with such courage and poise.

Welllingham - Was a talented 5th 6th string mid in a strong midfield at the pies but when played in the midfield at WCE he is looked lost. But down back he is playing with such flair and confidence.

Schofield - Was a pretty good from 2011-2012 but when Brown was in the team full time he looked so out of place down back and at times was put up forward for little effect. He is more or less getting back into form and in a slightly different role and can see him staying there even when EMAC is back.

Cripps - When he played in 2013 he showed he had pace and aggression and a knack for kicking goals but was to not very consistent and skills terrible. He has put it together and is looking like a more than handy player.

Prem87

Cancelled
10k Posts
Dec 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Sheppard, Hill, Cripps, Schofield, Yeo, Butler, Sheed, Duggan, Masten, Nelson, Wellingham have all stepped up and are performing. It's the 2nd tier and non reliance on our top tier to get the job done.

Has Bennell stagnated?

Nov 15, 2013
Here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Yes
Hill easily for me, going on his current form. Had him on the delist pile like many other people, but have been pleasantly surprised.

Not surprised by Cripps's form, Sheeds doing about as well as i thought, Sheppard has been good but we're expecting more now.

Sharrod i've always been a fan of, just had to see if Simmo could bring out his best, which it appears he has.

Jury's out on Schofield this year as he's yet to be seriously tested against a gorilla foward, until now.
hill probably buying another year

Sheppard, Hill, Cripps, Schofield, Yeo, Butler, Sheed, Duggan, Masten, Nelson, Wellingham have all stepped up and are performing. It's the 2nd tier and non reliance on our top tier to get the job done.

Has Bennell stagnated?
i only noticed 2 mistakes , 1 blatant on his game before being subbed hopefully thats all he needs for a boot up the bum and he keeps going

(Log in to remove this ad.)

javaguice

Premiership Player
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
It has been a blessing for Schofield losing our two key backs because we have now seen what he is capable of. Before he was a free wheeling run off defender who lacked accountability but now he is a lock down central defender and he has been nothing short of outstanding in this role.
He is the one for me.

Agree with this^

If he cant hold that spot for us, we arent 6-2

bombard

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Echo the sentiments of everyone on this thread so far. There was a point in the third quarter (I think) last week where Wellingham ran the ball out of defence and ran on for more link-ups. Was a real turning point in the game for mine. Delighted to see him defy my view of him this year.

Looking forward to ndot to come on here and post similar sentiments re Simmo. :drunk:

Spooky17

Premiership Player
Mar 19, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
McGOVERN%20Jeremy.png

LordHaart

Club Legend
Mar 27, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Most of our success this season coming from supposed 'B graders' stepping up IMO.

Cripps (playing as A grade)
Hill (playing well up forward, but what really impresses me is how often he swings back and how effective he is there)
Wellingham (had we got him for 18 last year you might think he's worth it)
Sheppard (playing like we always wanted him to play)

And then a few of our B+/A- players stepping up another level:

McGovern (rock)
Yeo (thunder)
Shuey (standing up to better sides more consistently)

Plus some players who were injured/out of form getting back up again:

Naitanui (superb in the ruck though as others have said, is capable of more)
Schofield (arguably almost pushed out last year, but locking down KPD with a vengeance)
LeCras (better when pushing up the ground than I expected without sacrificing his forward abilities)
Butler (after a couple of wonky games, has stepped up as a backline leader and is playing to his strengths)
Sheed (has become a regular who I daresay was missed last week)

There are some I'd want to see more from though - and this is their year to do it:

McInnes (has shown something, but needs to accelerate his growth now or Darling takes his spot)
Bennell (has potential, but just hasn't put the pieces together)
Lycett (deserved to be dropped, needs to do better as Sinclair is not the answer either)

mattyc75

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 5, 2010
over here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
,west perthgolden state warriors
Mckenzie-thought his disposal was terrible coming out of the backline and he was a real liability early on in his career.seems to have come on a bit since then tho

Prem87

Cancelled
10k Posts
Dec 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Murray Newman looked blistering . Dodging weaving so quick in the game he hurt his hand . Kicked 5 goals . I didnt rate him but I think he will be very very good . And Tunners looked a little bit better too possibly about to make it and I didnt think he was any good

Can't wait for Newman to break into the team.

He's almost like a new recruit like Duggan, Nelson, Sheed, Lamb etc. would add a lot to our current team.

Aug 27, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royals & Subi
Not a total didn't rate for any of these as they're all a Sheppard i've been hot and cold on throughout his career. Still has weaknesses but has found a role that suits his strengths.

Wellingham is playing well. Not in the role he was recruited for but his athleticism, speed and skill are all useful coming out of defense and he's got a solid contested base to build a defensive game around.

Bennell. His game has serious merit but his production isn't good enough for someone of his loose defensive abilities. Needs to do more of his better work to keep his spot beyond 2016.

Guys that still aren't impressing me are McInnes and Sinclair. Two C grade work horses on borrowed time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back