Players that took a long time to come good

Remove this Banner Ad

I think this exercise stir a few lines of thought, mainly:

- How long / How many chances should an under performing player get?
- How many / Which players do you think have been prematurely delisted?
- The fortune some players are bestowed by long-sighted management/coaching staff. A luxury afforded to very few players.
- Which players that are or have been on your list, you think have been given far too long?

I'll give some examples from my club:

Brain Leak: I thought he showed jack all up until 2007, racked up numbers in 2005-2006 but seemingly had no redeeming qualities to think he had any kind of long term AFL career. Was a prime candidate for delisting IMO.

Will Minson: Was severely underperforming and the laughing stock of the league for 10 years and should have been delisted, broke out in 2012 when he topped the league for hitouts and won AA honours in 2013.

On a side note:

Peter Street had a 10 year career with us. Whenever I hear recruiters say "he'll be a 10 year player" as if it is some sort of holy grail, i laugh and think of Peter Street.

Ayce Cordy (although shocking run with injuries) is entering his 7th year on our list with very very little to show for it. I cant help but think that position on the list could have been used to give someone else a shot.

I think this exercise stir a few lines of thought, mainly:

- How long / How many chances should an under performing player get?
- How many / Which players do you think have been prematurely delisted?
- The fortune some players are bestowed by long-sighted management/coaching staff. A luxury afforded to very few players.
- Which players that are or have been on your list, you think have been given far too long?

I'll give some examples from my club:

Brain Leak: I thought he showed jack all up until 2007, racked up numbers in 2005-2006 but seemingly had no redeeming qualities to think he had any kind of long term AFL career. Was a prime candidate for delisting IMO.

Will Minson: Was severely underperforming and the laughing stock of the league for 10 years and should have been delisted, broke out in 2012 when he topped the league for hitouts and won AA honours in 2013.

On a side note:

Peter Street had a 10 year career with us. Whenever I hear recruiters say "he'll be a 10 year player" as if it is some sort of holy grail, i laugh and think of Peter Street.

Ayce Cordy (although shocking run with injuries) is entering his 7th year on our list with very very little to show for it. I cant help but think that position on the list could have been used to give someone else a shot.

Who in the * is brain leak?

Brain Leak is clearly a child that's been named by his father.
brain leak is no name and certainly not one given by a father, it is more a state of mind, one which afflicted kennje's father when he went the rawdog.

Luke Lowden's six year career for a grand total of one game so far springs to mind as someone that's been very lucky to continue to remain in the AFL system.

On the other hand, one that's come good after 8 years and 3 clubs is Andrejs Everitt. Finally started to show a bit this year I thought.

Bryce Gibbs has taken his sweet time.

Was not done any favours in the past though by being used as Mr Fix It since he was 18.

Tagger, lock down defender, loose HBF..
Or all those positional moves helped him become the player he is now? He's been a serviceable player for a long time. The type who'd get a game in most sides. But his transformation into an A grader over the last 1-2 years surprised me even if he was a number 1 pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lindsay Gilbee blossomed into a great player when he was about 23/24... Coincided with the arrival of Eade. Before that was unsighted
A new coach that believes in the player is vital for a turnaround I reckon.

Roger Merrett took a while. For a long time it looked like he'd never make it out of the twos. Chris Daniher was another although he never starred.

On a side note:

Didn't sound right to me, so I had a quick look and it appears it was only 5 years for Streety at the Bulldogs. 3 seasons at the Cats though, so 8 years in total.

Mitch Brown has been on our list since 2006 and this was the first year (perhaps last year, maybe) I thought he looked like a capable key defender at AFL level.

Most of the guys I remember from West Coast who took a while to get going only really took a couple of years at best. Cox looked hopeless when he started out, but was our number one ruckman in his 4th season and the AA ruckman in his 5th.

Shane Edwards would probably be one for us. On our list 8 years now I think, and was in career best form in the second half of the season which saw him finish 4th in the B&F. Obviously not really near the elite category but if he keeps up that great form I can see him nudging the A-, A grade type of player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back