Players under 24 to have a breakout season.

Remove this Banner Ad

avishka5

150 game legend.
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
Post 3 players you believe that will go from ok to great or from talented/young gun to one of the best players in the comp.

Heres my top 3 to have a breakout year.

Port Adelaide - Ollie Wines (Age 21): Wines has been one of the brightest young talents in the competition since he debuted back in 2013 and was one of Ports best players in their meteoric rise in 2014. Like Paddy Cripps, wines is a boy in a mans body and a psychical beast who is already dominating grown men in contested footy. After an injury interrupted season in 2015, I expect wines to not only end 2016 as Ports best mid but a Top 10-15 mid of the comp and poll well at the Brownlow.
Screen Shot 2016-02-11 at 8.44.29 pm.png

Adelaide Crows - Brad Crouch (21): Like ollie, Crouch has had massive impact since the day he stepped foot in senior football. However, Crouch has had 2 injury interrupted seasona in a row and fans havent been able to see the best of the elder Crouch yet. For a career thats 25 games old, the 21 year old averages 25 disposal, 5 tackles and 4 clearances a game and already boasts a 40 disposal game against the three time premiers. With Dangerfield Gone, expect Crouch to thrive and go to another level and become an elite midfielder.
Screen Shot 2016-02-11 at 8.47.51 pm.png

West Coast Eagles - Jack Darling (23): As an eagles fan i was really disappointed with Darlings GF performance, however, i wasn't surprised by it. jack didn't have any preseason leading up to 2015 and was a bit overweight and unfit and as a result dropped after his 5th or 6th game last year and was pretty average for the rest of the year. Jack like the last two mentioned above has also had an impact at senior footy straight away and the talented forward was thrusted upon to lead the forward line in his second season and he delivered by booting 53 Goals. Ever since then jack has booted 42, 39 and 26( interrupted season) goals. However, he has been a casualty of the inconsistent eagles midfield in the past and lacked both quality and quantity in service ( that and he played second fiddle to kennedy). Jack is looking really fit (pic below) and will be raring to make up for his disappointed GF and will try and lead the side back into another GF.
jack darling.jpg

Wines has already broken out
Wines is still a young Gun as is the likes of cripps, bont, stringer and hogan. Im saying he will breakout into an elite AFL player.

Kid can really play, I can only see him getting better with each season. Will be one of the best running defenders in the AFL in a few years IMO.

Just my opinion, but watch this space.
yeah i agree. I already see him as one of the best running defenders in the comp. I was as livid as crows supporters when he missed out on AA last season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Michael Walters
I thought 2015 was going to be his break out year, but coming back from a serious ankle injury combined with lacklustre forward line support saw him have an average year. Immense talent and has the mental discipline to raise his game to even higher levels. With Bennell in the side, and assuming Ballantyne will have a better year than last, the freo forward line will be a beast awoken this year and Walters will be the catalyst for that. Will be first player picked in the AA side.

2. Josh Caddy
With everyone talking about the hype of a Dangerfield/ Selwood midfield combo, little to no credit goes to caddy who was seriously hitting his straps in the back end of last year. Could possibly lift his game and become an elite in the comp, spelling great things for a rejuvenated Cats side.

3. Jaeger Omeara
The Gold Coast talent will be dying to hit the track after his ACL injury and looked like a ready made footballer in his first year. I assume he's put on a few KGs in recovery/pre-season which makes him the archetype for big bodied modern midfielders. I see him averaging 25ish disposals this year and may outshine Ablett, Prestia and Swallow up on the Coast.

Jack Steele: will get plenty of opportunities with treloar gone. Has all the tools to be a great player and I expect big things from him

Aiden Corr: has bulked up considerably over the off season and will be able to win more of those 1 on 1 battles.

Dylan Shiel: was on fire last season before injury struck, I believe he will explode this year and become one of the most damaging young mids in the game.

182564_86aa5fc451171fe2f5d50c1e572979aa.jpg

purely from a lions perspective.
breakout year to potentially top 20/30 players in the competition.
allen christensen- a highly talented player with game changing ability, has hardly missed a beat all pre season. i have been to a few training sessions and he is in absolutely fantastic physical condition, although officially not in the leadership group he has been one of the more vocal players, and i have witnessed him in some instructive one on one sessions with our younger players.
pearce hanley- was showing signs of top 20/30 potential prior to an injury riddled season in 2015. his run bounce and carry through the middle of the ground along with elite delivery into the forward 50 make for exciting viewing this year.
stefan martin- signed a multi year contract extension and i would say already a top 3/5 ruckman in the competition, gets midfield type numbers around the ground, if he can float forward and kick a few more goals will be highly valuable considering the age profile of our key position forwards.

young players who are on the cusp of cementing starting 22 spots on form not potential.
sam mayes- smooth mover with elite disposal when on song, has been one of the standouts at training.
nick robertson- tough run all day competitor will be a set by example type player, ah la mitch robinson.
tom cutler- pace and size, will provide much needed run out of defence for us this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back