Players venting on officials

Remove this Banner Ad

westie

All Australian
Jul 9, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
St Kilda
After watching this weekends round I can't help wondering how long an aggrieved AFL player will punch an umpire in the nose. It can't be too far away.

After watching this weekends round I can't help wondering how long an aggrieved AFL player will punch an umpire in the nose. It can't be too far away.

Only happened once and the player got 10 years for it. Another tried headbutting one and got 20 weeks. Even Mad Dog Muir managed to restrain himself from doing this.
A fan on the other hand...

Last edited:
Anyone think the umps may have got caught on the fairy tale that is the tigger train. Some of the decisions on the weekend were atrocious. The malceski holding the ball and the towers were 2 of the worst decisions I have seen and both led to goals

i don't blame the umpires. I blame the AFL for trying to juggle a hundred balls with all these stupid little rules that change every year.

Only happened once and the player got 10 years for it. Another tried headbutting one and got 20 weeks. Even Mad Dog Muir managed to restrain himself from doing this.
A fan on the other hand...
Mad dog came close a few times. He actually demonstrated incredible self control if you take into account how crazy he actually was/is.

John Bourke didn't really do too much damage when you think about it, he pushed the umpire over in an aggressive manner, however there was no injury sustained and the umpire continued to do his job. The ten year ban was later reduced to only two years iirc.

John Bourke didn't really do too much damage when you think about it, he pushed the umpire over in an aggressive manner, however there was no injury sustained and the umpire continued to do his job. The ten year ban was later reduced to only two years iirc.

You're right, I think it was reduced significantly. Still, I can't see a modern day professional player doing something like that.

Anyone think the umps may have got caught on the fairy tale that is the tigger train. Some of the decisions on the weekend were atrocious. The malceski holding the ball and the towers were 2 of the worst decisions I have seen and both led to goals

Now you know what most sides experience when they play Sydney.

Are you talking about poor decision making, or in-your-face umpiring? Phil Carman copped 16 matches for head butting boundary umpire Carberry, and I still think it could have been avoided if the umpire hadn't stuck his face under Carman's nose. Some umpires like Chamberlain are confrontational, and this only serves to stir players up. No good can come from that approach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now you know what most sides experience when they play Sydney.
That would be Sydney who's right on average for free kick counts won and lost and differential? Or should Sydney have lost the majority of free kick counts this year despite soundly winning most of their games?

The ol slap on the bum for Wells was the highlight

aJ18vD.gif

Still going on with this loser mentality, "It was the umpires". 27 - 21 frees in your favour suggests it wasn't.

Not sure about that. After a string of fairly soft high contact decisions in favour of Sydney, Cotchin nearly had his head ripped off and no free given. I wouldn't have said you had the worst of it during that game tbh.

I think you should have watched the game with both eyes open, Swans had 6 more frees for the game particularly in the last half.

Goodes somehow managed to con the umpire for 5 free kicks from his 15 possessions, in between throwing himself around like a epileptic ballerina every time anyone went near him.

Last edited:
I strongly dislike the smugness of some umpires who know they can't be touched. That idiot dissing Dan Connors a few years ago comes to mind even though he was accurate.

There were too many free kicks paid in total, especially as several resulted in goals in what was a low scoring match.

Not sure about that. After a string of fairly soft high contact decisions in favour of Sydney, Cotchin nearly had his head ripped off and no free given. I wouldn't have said you had the worst of it during that game tbh.

It's not necessarily the amount of frees given but also where they are given. You can give 25 free kicks one team in their back pocket and it will have next to no effect on the game.

The towers 50 was ridiculous and malceski's holding the ball was one of the worst calls I have seen. Malceski was pounding the ball and still the ump said he made no attempt. Both resulted in goals.

Off the top of my head 3 of richmonds final 4 goals came from frees

Remove this Banner Ad

Back