Players we've brought in

Remove this Banner Ad

UPDATE: Link to latest entry...

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/players-weve-brought-in.1003003/page-2#post-36753988

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Over the last 6 years it's been no secret we've targeted experienced players from other clubs to come in and fill holes in our list and give us the extra polish we need to push for another flag.

My question is: Of these players, which of them do you think people (not necessarily Hawks supporters) will hear their name after they retire and automatically associate them with Hawthorn and not their previous club/s? Would winning a flag with us (especially when they didn't win one with their previous club/s) change anything?

Here is a list of the players we've traded in since the end of the 2007 and the amount of games they've played at their old club/s and with us as well as my own opinion and reasonings for how each is perceived.

Stuart Dew Port: 180, Hawks: 26 games
A solid 10 years with Port which included a premiership in 2004. He was also pivotal in our own premiership win in 2008 playing arguably the best 5 minutes of his career in a game breaking display during the 3rd quarter. When he's brought up in conversation it's usually because of that 5 minutes of play. I think he'll be mostly remembered for that performance in 2008 by us and neutrals a like but I think a large part of what makes it so memorable is because he retired from Port Adelaide, missed a season and got fat before being a speculative pick for us that turned out to be gold when it mattered most. Port player.

Josh Gibson Roos: 65 games, Hawks: 64 games to date
This Saturday he will equal his game record at the Roos with us. He's played his best footy with us, played in a Grand Final and hopefully will have won one or more with us before he's done. Definitely will be remembered as one of us.

Shaun Burgoyne Port: 157 games, Hawks: 69 games to date
Unlikely to match his games record at Port but could potentially reach 100 games with us if his body holds up. He was AA with Port and won a premiership with them in 2004. I never thought he'd lose his Port identity to us but recently I've begun to "forget" he was a Port player. Reach 100+ games with us and maybe win a premiership or two and it's a strong possibility. I think most neutrals would still think of him as a Port player.

David Hale Roos: 129 games, Hawks: 49 games to date
He's easily played the bulk of his career with North Melbourne but for some reason I think a lot of people already consider him a Hawk. I don't think he was ever really considered the main ruck over at the Roos (correct me if I'm wrong) so possibly being considered our main ruck for the last few years has changed some peoples perceptions of him. I've seen North supporters here on Big Footy say that he's played consistently better at the Hawks than he ever did with them. That would get him noticed more by neutrals and possibly the reason why perceptions of him may have shifted. Line ball at the moment, probably considered a Hawk when he's done.

Kyle Cheney Demons: 14 games, Hawks: 14 games to date
Most neutral supporters probably don't even know who he is let alone that he used to play for a different club. Will be a Hawk unless he moves on elsewhere.

Cameron Bruce Demons: 224 games, Hawks: 10 games
Has retired so there's no hypothetical here. A star for Melbourne over his long career with them. A fringe player with us at best with little to no on-field impact in his short stint with us as a player. Hopefully he has greater impact as an assistant coach. Definitely Melbourne.

Jack Gunston Crows: 14 game, Hawks: 23 games to date
An interesting one. I think most neutrals know him because of all the drama surrounding how he got to us. Whether or not that makes them think Adelaide over Hawks isn't really a big deal as it will no doubt fade from memory very quickly (if it hasn't already) the longer he plays for us. Will likely play for the next 8-10 years, if it's all with us then no question he'll be remembered as a Hawk.

Brian Lake Dogs: 197 games, Hawks: 1 game to date
Doubtful he'll ever shake the Dogs tag, even amongst the Hawks faithful. A star player for the Dogs over his career. Dual AA and played in a few Finals series with them. The only way I could see him being thought of primarily as a Hawk by neutrals after he retires is if he plays at least 3 seasons with us and is pivotal in us winning premierships in each of those seasons. And even then probably not. A Doggy for life.

Matthew Spangher Eagles: 26 games, Sydney: 6 games, Hawks: 0 games to date
Bit of a journeyman. Will definitely need to play a game before we could even consider him a Hawk. Would only take a full season or two to engrain him in the minds as neutrals as a Hawk.

Jonathan Simpkin Cats: 4 games, Hawks: 0 games to date
Won't take much time with us before even most Cats supporters forget he was once a Cat. Much like Cheney though, most neutrals probably don't have any clue who he is and would probably think you were talking about his brother down at the Saints.

What does everyone else think? It's hard to know what neutrals think and will think in the future after these players retire. A lot of these players will probably seem to be primarily Hawks to us after they retire as that time they spent with us will stick most strongly in our minds.

Last edited:
I'd suggest Gibson and Gunston would be considered Hawks players... and perhaps Simpkin and Cheney if they can make a name for themselves. Gunston definitely (similar to Ian Bremner coming to the Hawks early on in his career), having spent such little time in the city of churches and being so young, he could spend over 10 years with the Hawks.

That being said, to throw a spanner in the works, would you consider Chris Judd more an Eagles man or a Blues man? Scratching my head over that one.

Judd is an interesting one for sure. He played his best footy with the Eagles, won a premiership, Norm Smith, Brownlow and was their captain. Then at Carlton he was their star player, their captain and won another Brownlow. Got plenty more attention in the media as a Blue I felt due to being a big Victorian club. The same could almost be said for Gary Ablett if there wasn't already such a strong connection between the Ablett name and Geelong.

Hard tos ay. If they win flags, I automatically think of them as Hawks, even if they have played fewer games with us.

Really surprised Gibbo played so few games at North. Thought he was a 100+ game player for them.

Likewise, I definitely thought he'd played more with them.

Although Dew is clearly more Port than Hawks, I reckon if you surveyed just about any punter and said, what do you remember of Dew's career? They'd go "When he went to the Hawks fat and dominated that patch in the GF"

Since I've been watching ... 1982ish .. IMO recycled players who have become more 'Hawk' than their first club -

Russell Greene, Brent Guerra, Josh Gibson, Joel Smith, John Barker, Tony Woods, Michael Byrne, Stephen Gilham, Jack Gunston .

What about Spida Everitt? I'm too young to remember his time at St Kilda so in my mind he is Hawthorn. What do the older guys think?

What about Spida Everitt? I'm too young to remember his time at St Kilda so in my mind he is Hawthorn. What do the older guys think?
Definately NOT a Hawk.

Norm Goss - still think of him as a South Melbourne player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hows about the Big Fish? 100 great games with us. I thought he had cleansed himself then he went back to the scum after supercoach Sheedy had the left field idea that he could turn Salmon into a ruckman. Logically that makes him a bumbler but for F/S purposes he is a hawk.

What about the opposite, the players that left the club. Clinton Young, Campbell Brown, Thomas Murphy, Mark Williams, Brent Renouf, Luke McPharlin, Nathan Thompson, Jonathan Hay, Nathan Lonie, Ben McGlynn, Josh Kennedy, Daniel Chick? I'm sure there are more.

Since I've been watching ... 1982ish .. IMO recycled players who have become more 'Hawk' than their first club -

Russell Greene, Brent Guerra, Josh Gibson, Joel Smith, John Barker, Tony Woods, Michael Byrne, Stephen Gilham, Jack Gunston .
Go back further to Ian Bremner and Kevin 'Skeeta" Couglhan, both from the Pies, but remembered as Hawks.

What about the opposite, the players that left the club. Clinton Young, Campbell Brown, Thomas Murphy, Mark Williams, Brent Renouf, Luke McPharlin, Nathan Thompson, Jonathan Hay, Nathan Lonie, Ben McGlynn, Josh Kennedy, Daniel Chick? I'm sure there are more.

Trent Croad, Darren Jarman, Ben Allan, Mathew Robran

Young - Hawk (Time will tell, but it seems the poor bugger is up against it considering the terrible run he has with injuries)
Brown - Hawk for sure
Murphy - Hawk
Williams - Hawk
Renouf - Hawk. I think...
McPharlin - Freo. 99% of people wouldn't know about him being at Hawthorn I think.
Thompson - Hawk
Hay - Hawk
Lonie - most would struggle to remember him.
McGlynn and Kennedy - Swans.
Chick - I'm not too sure. Wikipedia tells me 149 games for us and 103 for them but I would think that the flag and the media coverage around Cousins makes him an Eagle in most minds. It was actually my fault he went back to WA. I went and stitched number 17 on a tie dyed pillowcase in year 8 textiles and about a month later he was gone. :(

For some reason even though he only played there two years I think of him as a Sydney player. So much for the 'no dickhead' policy.

Young: prefer not to think of him at all! Just kidding, I'd say it depends on what he does at Collingwood at this stage.
Brown: Definite Hawk.
Murphy: Definite Hawk.
Williams: Definite Hawk, only played 4 games at Essendon. For $900,000! Classic.
Renouf: I'm already starting to see him as a Port player, even though he was a premiership player for us.
McPharlin: Freo.
Thompson: I tend to think of him as a Roo.
Hay: Ditto.
Lonie: Hawthorn I guess, he doesn't really stand out in my memory I must say.
Ben McGlynn: Swans
Josh Kennedy: Hawk :p
Chick: I always immediately associate him as being part of the drugs drama that unfolded at the Eagles in 06, so I'd have to say Eagles.

What about Zac Dawson, Lance Picioane, Brad Scott, Jade Rawlings or Darren Jarman?

Picioane: Hawks
Scott: Brisbane
Rawlings: Hawks
Jarman: Did win a premiership with us, but won two with Adelaide with his bags of 6 and 5 in those finals. Adelaide.
Dawson: Ross Lyon :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back