Analysis Playing for their careers

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably not for his career but atleast his Collingwood career. Alex fasolo for mine. If he doesn't start showing anything that resembles good consistent football I'd be using him as trade bait and seeing what we can get

Yeah this Scott Pendlebury kid has had enough time to prove himself, surely.

Sinclair on there as well for me.

I was referring to the list in the opening post.

It would genuinely surprise me if Young doesn't retire at seasons end anyway. I'd agree with most of the other names raised with Abbott thrown into the mix as well.
Agree on Young. Seems like his hamstrings are shot. The Hawks were right not to match the 3 year contract we offered (unfortunately).

Doubt Abbott will be in the gun after 1 season unless he proves to be a complete disaster. Hine made it pretty clear that he, like Marsh, would be a project player.

As for the many opinions on Blair, he's not playing for his career. He just signed a two year extension, so he's relatively safe from a contract perspective. I do think however, that he is likely to be pushed out of the side this year by more talented youngsters like Kennedy, Freeman, Broomhead and DeGoey.
If that happens, there's every chance he may request a trade at years end. He still has plenty of football left in him, and I doubt he would want to play out his career as a depth player in the VFL.

Maybe we could trade him to Carlton on an inflated salary for a first round pick? Mad Mick would love another one of his boys back :drunk:

Remove Blair and add Fasolo, however in saying that if their salaries are not too high, may as well keep:
Ramsay
Oxley
Sinclair
Gault (if promoted)

Opportunity cost

Spots on our list are worth a lot, keeping Yagmoor an extra year meant we may of missed out on the next Frost Maxwell Dywer O'Brien Wellingham (ect ect) in the rookie draft.

for me Gault and Ramsay have shown next to nothing

Pretty simple. Who do you reckon needs to step up on the park, or otherwise they'll be facing a delisting/trade by the end of the season?

For me, it's:

- Dwyer
- Blair
- White
- Young
- Ramsay
- Oxley
- Sinclair
- Armstrong (if promoted)
- Gault (if promoted)

Add Keeffe although I think Buckley will save him by playing him forward.

Harsh on Ramsay perhaps. Being the age he is. The rest have been in the system long enough to show plenty. Agree.

In saying that Fasolo Seedsman and Thomas for mine need to have a good season after an injury riddled time.

Opportunity cost

Spots on our list are worth a lot, keeping Yagmoor an extra year meant we may of missed out on the next Frost Maxwell Dywer O'Brien Wellingham (ect ect) in the rookie draft.

for me Gault and Ramsay have shown next to nothing
Yes but keep in mind, we have already turned over a lot of players.
Four on last chance, taken up by draft places.,
Dwyer
White
Young
Armstrong (if promoted)

two others by rookies: out of Oxley, Ramsey, Gault.

Then only if there is a good trade would you look to cut anyone else, that is of course if everyone either maintains their form or shows improvement...

Remove Blair and add Fasolo, however in saying that if their salaries are not too high, may as well keep:
Ramsay
Oxley
Sinclair
Gault (if promoted)

Fasolo won’t be De-Listed. IF he does not improve. He be possible Trade-Bait

J. Thomas and Dwyer.

I honestly don't think they have much improvement in them, they either need to turn into B grade players this year or be delisted.

As far as both players ceilings, JT is in a cathedral and Dwyer is at Bilbo's joint. Dwyer is late 20's, outside with poor penetration. JT has had barely 2 years injury free and has shown the ability to rip games apart with his inside game and ability to hit the scoreboard. He's not a certainty to make it, but he'll have to lose a leg to get deliste this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to say for a lot of them because of injury, so it depend on how they are rated internally. I think Buckley has big wraps on Sinclair, doubt Fasolo will be delisted either.

In all honestly, it seems pretty clear that Dwyer, Young, Ramsay and Armstrong. will go at the end of the season, barring something special. Maybe Oxley too, but if he can stay injury free and find some form, I imagine he will play seniors this season.

- Dwyer
- Blair
- White
- Young
- Ramsay
- Oxley
- Sinclair
- Armstrong (if promoted)
- Gault (if promoted)
- Fasolo
- Kennedy
- Seedsman
- Brown
- Reid
- Karnezis
- Swan

I think it could be argued that all of these players are -in some form or another- playing for, if not their careers, then at least their place on our list.

Some because of injury, some because of injury and age, other because of poor form or, because the game is evolving away from them.

Players like Swan, Reid and Brown, love them all, all are champs, Swanny, one of the very best in the comp but, another injury ravaged year for any of these three would probably mean the end of the road.

Players who have had a poor year or two with injury like Fasolo, Seedsman need to get their careers back on track, both very talented but need to get back to playing good footy and improving their career arc.

Young kids in their third or fourth years, like Sinclair, Kennedy, Oxley, Ramsay, Karnezis and Crisp need to show they have what it takes to make it and play regular senior football and have an impact. Its a brutal industry and their careers could be over in a flash.

In some ways, I hope players like Young, Dwyer and Armstrong really do struggle to do much more than play solid VFL footy this season, as it will be a good sign other new kids are going past them and we are improving.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back