Playing two ruckmen

Islanda22

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2014
Australia
AFL Club
Melbourne
After last night's game there is no way i want to see Gawn anywhere near the forward line

So that means Fitzy to have 1st crack with Jamar as he can kick goals

Tempy Tiger

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
After last night's game there is no way i want to see Gawn anywhere near the forward line

So that means Fitzy to have 1st crack with Jamar as he can kick goals
Gawn was shocking last night. His skills were comically bad and he just looks slow and weak around the ground. What does he do before his Casey games, eat a can of spinach?

Islanda22

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2014
Australia
AFL Club
Melbourne
After last night's game, I hope that comment about kicking goals is directed towards Fitz and not Jamar!

Yes deff not Jamar

Pretty much cost us the game, should have been up 1 with momentum

Jamar to start with Fitzy FP- Then Fitzy ruck, Jamar off

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Fitzy is a garbage ruck though , relax you blokes one bad game in nab 1 doesn't ruin your career

Yeah his kicking was garbage, but so was the majority of the teams as was the marking

He's still my favourite to he number 1 ruck by the end of the year

The Professor

All Australian
Dec 23, 2008
Melb
AFL Club
Melbourne
Fitzy is a garbage ruck though , relax you blokes one bad game in nab 1 doesn't ruin your career

Yeah his kicking was garbage, but so was the majority of the teams as was the marking

I have a lot of time for Gawn.

He generally has good hands and kicking is pretty reliable. He had a bad one.

What is worrying is his ability to utilise his height advantage, holding his ground (he is 110+kg FFS) and consistency.

He doesn't dominate the rucks and utilise his 208cm in the AFL. He has racked up a lot of hitouts in VFL but that means nothing as a lot of VFL ruck's are smaller.

He can take a good mark or can be clean below his knees but when you expect him to do it again next time, he can spill it.

We can't go with Jamar and Gawn. They aren't good enough in F50 and both need a long time in the ruck.

Pedersen is our best option as the second ruck. Fitz is a 200cm midget.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I have a lot of time for Gawn.

He generally has good hands and kicking is pretty reliable. He had a bad one.

What is worrying is his ability to utilise his height advantage, holding his ground (he is 110+kg FFS) and consistency.

He doesn't dominate the rucks and utilise his 208cm in the AFL. He has racked up a lot of hitouts in VFL but that means nothing as a lot of VFL ruck's are smaller.

He can take a good mark or can be clean below his knees but when you expect him to do it again next time, he can spill it.

We can't go with Jamar and Gawn. They aren't good enough in F50 and both need a long time in the ruck.

Pedersen is our best option as the second ruck. Fitz is a 200cm midget.

His upper body strength has improved but he still seems weak in the core I agree

MFCforever

All Australian
Sep 27, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Middlesbroughfc

You're right 1 bad nab game doesn't ruin a career but equally no good games in 6 years might, he's a genuine spud and I'll bet anything you might have of worth that Gawn will not be our no1 ruck by seasons end.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
You're right 1 bad nab game doesn't ruin a career but equally no good games in 6 years might, he's a genuine spud and I'll bet anything you might have of worth that Gawn will not be our no1 ruck by seasons end.

If he stays injury free he will be by the end of the year

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I don't think Gawn will be injury free ever. I wouldn't be surprised if he's not at the MFC next year.

Even if he doesn't have a good year, I can't see us letting go of Jamar (or keeping a 32/33 year old ruckman on the list) and Gawn at the same time. We'd have to recruit two rucks to replace them, and one of them would have to be decent unless you want to see Spencer and Fitz in tandem in 2016.

Tempy Tiger

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
The only thing Gawn has going for him is his height. His skills are awful and he plays weak, has the core strength of Jack Watts. Give me Spencer every day of the week. He's vigorous and throws his weight around, should be starting ruck. Jamar should have been traded four years ago when he was worth something. To think we kept him and let Martin go..
Spencer first ruck with Pedo giving him the odd chop out. Not sure if Fitzpatrick is an option. He looks lost in the ruck in the VFL.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
The only thing Gawn has going for him is his height. His skills are awful and he plays weak, has the core strength of Jack Watts. Give me Spencer every day of the week. He's vigorous and throws his weight around, should be starting ruck. Jamar should have been traded four years ago when he was worth something. To think we kept him and let Martin go..
Spencer first ruck with Pedo giving him the odd chop out. Not sure if Fitzpatrick is an option. He looks lost in the ruck in the VFL.

Come on Jake, this joke is getting old.

Which team have you been watching?

Spencil as No 1 ruck? Right now?

Tempy Tiger

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
Which team have you been watching?

Spencil as No 1 ruck? Right now?
If he's fit, yep, right now. IMO it's no coincidence that we played our best footy last year at the start of the season when he was first ruck. Time will tell this season and we can look at this thread again in six months time to see how it all panned out.
I think Jamar is overrated. His ruck work in the middle kills us. I'd hate to be trying to rove to him. There's one play, run under the ball and flip it back into space. Nice for a change up but no good to do 99 times out of 100.
Gawn should have shown something by now if he going to amount to anything. I know rucks take longer to develop but he's shown nothing. He needs to develop some core strength or he will find himself out of the system very quickly.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Spencil played rounds 1 to 5 where we won one game, didn't play any teams that would make the finals, beat a s**t Carlton side, lost to the wooden spooners, got smashed by Wet Toast, comprehensively beaten by GWS were competitive with the Suns. Pretty sure our best footy came in the middle of the season when we beat the Bombers and Richmond and pushed a good Port side... but our "best footy" is quite a sad euphemism.

MFCforever

All Australian
Sep 27, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Middlesbroughfc
We should have kept Martin - spot on, trading Jamar would've been a mistake but Gawn should never have been given the last 2year contract he received, Gawn should have been traded.

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls

You go on about Gawn skills (That are actually pretty good for a guy his size, he had one bad kick that people are overreacting at) and then proceed to (yet again) name Spencer.

Jake Spencer. A bloke actually dropped the football when kicking for goal from a set shot and you harp on about Gawn?

Us playing good footy at the start of the season had zero to do with Spencer but everything to do with low expectations, a game style that teams hadn't seen from us before and young fresh players who weren't out on their feet like they were in the second half of the season.

Spencer has no redeeming football qualities, no skills, s**t ruck and slower than Brock McLean with two broken legs.

Tempy Tiger

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
We should trade Gawn & Garland for kruezer
So Trengrove has someone to talk to about navicular injuries?! They are both close to dusted. No Kreuze please. Would be interesting to see what Garland and/or Gawns trade value was. Maybe a third or fourth round pick for either? I think Col is going to find it hard to get a game this year. I'd have Jetta, McDonald, Frost, Lamumba, Salem and Dunn all ahead of him. He's competing with Grimes and Howe for the first replacement defender IMO.

Tempy Tiger

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
You go on about Gawn skills (That are actually pretty good for a guy his size, he had one bad kick that people are overreacting at) and then proceed to (yet again) name Spencer.

Jake Spencer. A bloke actually dropped the football when kicking for goal from a set shot and you harp on about Gawn?

Us playing good footy at the start of the season had zero to do with Spencer but everything to do with low expectations, a game style that teams hadn't seen from us before and young fresh players who weren't out on their feet like they were in the second half of the season.

Spencer has no redeeming football qualities, no skills, s**t ruck and slower than Brock McLean with two broken legs.
He's better than Gawn :)

Back