Playing two ruckmen

Remove this Banner Ad

Madness to suggest getting Kreuzer. We should go after Leuenberger instead.

Again, no he isn't.

JjufXMp.gif

You go on about Gawn skills (That are actually pretty good for a guy his size, he had one bad kick that people are overreacting at) and then proceed to (yet again) name Spencer.

Jake Spencer. A bloke actually dropped the football when kicking for goal from a set shot and you harp on about Gawn?

Us playing good footy at the start of the season had zero to do with Spencer but everything to do with low expectations, a game style that teams hadn't seen from us before and young fresh players who weren't out on their feet like they were in the second half of the season.

Spencer has no redeeming football qualities, no skills, s**t ruck and slower than Brock McLean with two broken legs.

The best summation of Spencer I've ever read. Kudos.

So you've got 2 blokes saying we shouldn't have traded Martin despite him only playing about 5 good games for us before we did

But then saying a 22-23 year old young ruck who has shown ability at afl level should be traded

I'm confused

Gawn an spencer might make a reasonable duo one day , spencer spends 5 minutes in the ruck working his ass off running into the other ruck and tiring them out , then gawn comes in and uses his height to dominate the taps and mark around the ground

So you've got 2 blokes saying we shouldn't have traded Martin despite him only playing about 5 good games for us before we did

But then saying a 22-23 year old young ruck who has shown ability at afl level should be traded

I'm confused

Gawn an spencer might make a reasonable duo one day , spencer spends 5 minutes in the ruck working his ass off running into the other ruck and tiring them out , then gawn comes in and uses his height to dominate the taps and mark around the ground

When has Gawn ever dominated?
Where's this ability you speak of from Gawn at AFL level?
Gawn has failed at AFL level.
You underrate Martins 2011 season, he had more than 5 good games and he was injured most of 2012.
We should have kept Martin, drafted Hannoth and traded Gawn.

Todd Viney’s season assessment
Stef was one of the real finds for us this year. He developed really nicely as a second ruckman, when Mark Jamar went down with injury. He stood up and was fantastic for us. Overall, he developed enormously this year. But he’s still got a lot of improvement and needs to keep working on his kicking, contested marking and work in the forward line. If he can keep improving like he did this year, he will be really exciting.

Max Gawn
Maxy has been in the rehab group again, after he came to the club via the 2009 Draft having had a knee reconstruction. Once again, this pre-season has been all about getting Max’s body right. He has honed in on building a routine and doing everything to the best of his ability. Max needs to keep working on his preparation.

When has Gawn ever dominated?
Where's this ability you speak of from Gawn at AFL level?
Gawn has failed at AFL level.
You underrate Martins 2011 season, he had more than 5 good games and he was injured most of 2012.
We should have kept Martin, drafted Hannoth and traded Gawn.

Todd Viney’s season assessment
Stef was one of the real finds for us this year. He developed really nicely as a second ruckman, when Mark Jamar went down with injury. He stood up and was fantastic for us. Overall, he developed enormously this year. But he’s still got a lot of improvement and needs to keep working on his kicking, contested marking and work in the forward line. If he can keep improving like he did this year, he will be really exciting.

Max Gawn
Maxy has been in the rehab group again, after he came to the club via the 2009 Draft having had a knee reconstruction. Once again, this pre-season has been all about getting Max’s body right. He has honed in on building a routine and doing everything to the best of his ability. Max needs to keep working on his preparation.

Yeah ok an assessment of a bloke on the back of a reco 4 years ago (y)

I can't even be bothered arguing it with you if that's your logic

It's so Melbourne that we could have filled the biggest hole in our lift with a player we traded into form.

We should never trade out a ruck again, we would surely have provided the most recycled rucks in the league

Darren jolly, Troy Simmonds, stef Martin and one more who I can't seem to remember

Yeah ok an assessment of a bloke on the back of a reco 4 years ago (y)

I can't even be bothered arguing it with you if that's your logic

You can't be bothered because 4 years on he's still getting injured and played a total of 26 games.

As you stated "You're confused" and I'm trying to explain to you that Max Gawn since arriving at the club has given us nothing and never will.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can't be bothered because 4 years on he's still getting injured and played a total of 26 games.

As you stated "You're confused" and I'm trying to explain to you that Max Gawn since arriving at the club has given us nothing and never will.

You can try explain whatever you like mate that's the beauty of the internet , it gives an everyone an opinion , even the stupid ones make it on here

He's not still ' getting injured'

And no I can't be bothered because you have an irrational hate for him , and instead of using reasonable arguments you point to the fact that he had a knee reconstruction as gospel he will never make it

I'd like to see Martin back it up this season with Luey in the side before I pass judgement.

Watching the NAB Cup game a few days ago it looks like Leuey is the one who'll be second fiddle. Maybe not the best indicator, but it seems to smarter to stick Leuenberger in the forward line rather than tinker with Martin's fragile form. He'll get injured and they'll be back to Martin rucking by himself anyway.

You can try explain whatever you like mate that's the beauty of the internet , it gives an everyone an opinion , even the stupid ones make it on here

He's not still ' getting injured'

And no I can't be bothered because you have an irrational hate for him , and instead of using reasonable arguments you point to the fact that he had a knee reconstruction as gospel he will never make it

I don't have an irrational hate for Gawn but I do have an irrational hate for posters on here who when I say Gawn is no good go into meltdown about how wonderful he is.

Why isn't an injury prone player a reasonable argument to de-list/trade him?

Besides Gawn being injured most of his career including the last round of 2013( another knee), there's been no improvement shown by Gawn,

Why should we hold on to Gawn - because of his height? He can't run, he can't kick, his handballs don't hit targets he's a liability.

I don't have an irrational hate for Gawn but I do have an irrational hate for posters on here who when I say Gawn is no good go into meltdown about how wonderful he is.

Why isn't an injury prone player a reasonable argument to de-list/trade him?

Besides Gawn being injured most of his career including the last round of 2013( another knee), there's been no improvement shown by Gawn,

Why should we hold on to Gawn - because of his height? He can't run, he can't kick, his handballs don't hit targets he's a liability.

Because he is a giant player who is very agile for a bloke his size , he has the ability to take a grab and just like all young rucks he is no where near his potential yet

Your allowed to have an opinion on players being unsuccessful

I have that opinion about toumpas and possibly garland as well at this stage
But I completely disagree about gawn, sure he has had plenty of injury problems , which means his early career has been more impressive .. A bloke that size who has had 2 knee recos and is still agile is incredible

Toumpas will become a better version of Grimes that can kick and nothing more.

Gawn will be a good enough ruckman with a few highlights here and there but will never be more than a okay player.

Garland I can't work out, he was one of our best users of the ball out of the backline a few years ago and now he can barely connect a handball. Maybe our newer more skilled players are showing just how s**t our list actually was.

In any case I feel this year will be big tests for all three of these players and also Grimes, they have to show they are good enough to be in our team as we raise the bar. Otherwise I would have no problems with replacing them at years end.

Spencer has no redeeming football qualities, no skills, s**t ruck and slower than Brock McLean with two broken legs.

I disagree. Inferior to Jamar as a tap ruckman (so far) but makes more impact around the ground - in a positive fashion - and is equal to Jamar for ball skills. He can be useful but all our rucks need to tidy up their ball usage.

I disagree. Inferior to Jamar as a tap ruckman (so far) but makes more impact around the ground - in a positive fashion - and is equal to Jamar for ball skills. He can be useful but all our rucks need to tidy up their ball usage.

You realise Spencer was the gigantic mountain that slowly lumbered around the field not touching the footy or doing anything at all right?

You realise Spencer was the gigantic mountain that slowly lumbered around the field not touching the footy or doing anything at all right?

He can give away free kicks and get suspended. Also lays an occasional tackle, drops marks and makes horrible decisions. All positives.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back