PS4 PlayStation 4 News (Articles, Accessories and Everything Else)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it's finally been announced, the PS4 is here and there's a lot to get through.

1.51 FIRMWARE (NEEDED FOR HDD UPGRADING):
http://au.playstation.com/ps4initialise/

HOW TO CHANGE YOUR HDD ON THE PS4:

Here's everything from the PS Meeting:
HERE WE GO!
  • Weird montage starting off, lots of words, lots of PlayStation.
  • Andrew House coming out first. States that the "Stakes are high for what we're about to show you".
  • NO NEW CONSOLE ANNOUNCEMENT YET!!!!!!!
  • House talking about the Vita. Talking about how the hardware can be expanded to the living room.
  • PS4 ANNOUNCED!!! It is called the 'PlayStation 4'. Nothing of the system has been shown.
  • Lead System Architect Mark Cerny hits the stage now to Crash Bandicoot music.
  • Andrew House's mic still on as he goes off the stage states "JUST AS WE REHEARSED IT!". Nailed it.
  • Cerny is bug eyed as hell, clearly been sniffing some white stuff back stage. Basically talking about the history of consoles, the simplicity of the times past, etc.
  • "WHAT DO DEVELOPERS WANT" - Through talking to the devs they've crafted the system to the developers needs and wants.
  • X86 CPU, Enhanced PC GPU, 8GB Unified Memory, Local Storage HDD.
  • NEW CONTROLLER SHOWN. Enhanced rumble, reduced latency, touch pad, share button, headphone jack, lightbar for Move to interact with an enhanced PS Eye bar.
  • Unreal Engine 4 confirmed for PS4.
  • Havok Physics tech demo being shown. Showing the power of the PS4's CPU/GPU.
  • Cerny has a title in development. Showing now. Cartoony graphics centred around a little robot called Knack. Title named Knack as well.
  • Suspend/Resume on the Controller with share feature.
  • Downloading titles while playing games. Can Upload shared video while you play too.
  • New PS4 User Interface.
  • Live Streaming tech, can watch other people's game while they play, comment on them too.
  • Tablet, Smartphone, Vita all keep you in touch of PS4 regardless of location.
  • Very MiiVerse like system for checking out games, likes, dislikes. Prediction tech through that, couldn't exactly understand what he was saying about this but saying that you'll have content downloaded to your system based on what you like.
  • David Perry on now to talk about Gaikai's integration into PS4.
  • USTREAM and Facebook partnered with PSN to help broaden the experience.
  • On the point above about Live streaming, expanding now to saying that it's broadcast 100% realtime gameplay from your PS4. You will be able to transfer game control to your friend.
  • Remote play built into the PS4 this time around. Vita + PS4 'ultimate companion device'.
  • TV and Media services mentioned now. Quickly done with.
  • 'Fastest Gaming Network' via Gaikai with Cloud. PS1/2/3 games to eventually be available.
  • Dev talking head time. Ready At Dawn guy speaking. Tim Schafer/Double Fine. David Cage/Quantic Dream. Randy Pitchford. SCEE/SCEA guys. Harmonix. Ninja Theory. Q-Games. Polyphony. Sony Santa Monica. Talking about how gaming is expanding from the living room, to be with you ALWAYS.
  • Guerilla Games on now. Called 'Killzone Shadow Fall' Helghast have evolved, gained superiority. Conflict drawing parallels to Cold War Berlin. Gameplay Now.
  • Big skyline shot. Has evolved wildly from previous Killzone games, very modern, bright and colourful city shown off, compared to the wastelands of previous Killzone's. Big slow motion explosion, people screaming, guys comes over and shoots innocents, turns out he was a Helghan disguised. Shootout begins. Gun turns from heavy machine gun into sniper, back to machine gun. Showing off some traversal, new to the series. Jumping takedown into knife throw. Shootout continues further until a Helghan jumps into an awaiting airship, which our protagonist jumps onto a dangling rope hanging from the airship. Is taken through sweeping shots of the city, while shooting at the Helghan in the airship. Plants C4 on airship, jumps off, explosion. 3 Helghan Heli's pop up above protagonist. Demo ends.
  • Evolution Studio's racing game to be shown off now. "We're making the game we've always wanted to make". New IP. Called 'Drive Club'. All about being able to "drive together", "Team racing". Very 'Autolog' from Criterion, always connected, tons of challenges to compete against friends. "Insanely detailed cars". Gameplay trailer now. Showing cars racing on tracks....ummm, and they race cars? It's a racing game. Showing off plenty of the social media elements.
  • Sucker Punch showing off their new game now. A game where "anybody is a super hero". Opening shot of Seattle Spaceneedle. Closes into a security camera and security room with officers looking over camera footage. Explosion. "What's happening? What's going on?" More explosions then police forces turn up and get destroyed by someone with 'fire like powers'. Game called 'inFAMOUS: Second Son'.
  • One of the most acclaimed indie developers showing a game now. Braid creator Jonathon Blow to show off his game that will debut on PS4. Game is the already announced The Witness. In release window PS4 will be the only console that The Witness will be on. Debut gameplay trailer shown. Shows off puzzles, stunning vista's and an open world.
  • David Cage on now to talk about his game designing concepts. His previous games featured 350 polygons to 1500 to 15000 to 30000. Showing off a tech demo of a face, showing how much higher the polygon count is now on the PS4, detail is astounding.
  • Media Molecule on now to talk about design concepts. "Creation is everywhere, but how do we cut through all the crap?" Create your dreams. Media Molecule 'Loves the Move controller'. Allowing you to sculpture, collage and create anything with the Move controller. Showing off a demonstration of what you can do with the Move now. Going from 2 avatars dancing to a full blown concert with drums, guitars and keyboard.
  • "Virtually all 3rd party publishers are signed on for PS4".
  • Yoshinori Ono from Capcom on stage now. Showing off history of Capcom on PS. New engine Codenamed 'Panta Rhei', completely new from Framework engine of PS3/360 era. Showing off a new IP running on the new engine. Medieval era, very Elder Scrolls looking. Showing a dragon breathing fire, a man takes cover behind a big stone pillar. One guy shoots a fire arrow, another attacks dragon with a sword. Lots of particle effects, lots of destruction. 'Conquer your fear, or die a coward'. Called 'Deep Down' (Working Title).
  • Square Enix to come out now. Not going to even attempt to name the guy who has come out onto the stage. Showing off a real time engine demo. Very weird mix of magic monk like people and people shooting up an area. I really don't know what's going on. So many weird conflicting moments. Dragon comes and picks up some girl at the end that reveals a massive world with futuristic skylines bordered by poor shanty town like areas. One other piece of information to come from the Final Fantasy brand manager. Final Fantasy title in development, to be shown at E3.
  • Ubisoft coming to the stage now with Yves Guillemot. Set to show off Watch Dogs. "Everyone is connected". Demo opens with protagonist on the streets just walking. Icons appear above almost everyone as they walk by. Protagonist stops at a street begger and a profile pops up about the person. Protagonist see's someone at an ATM and instantly steals their credit card information, goes to the ATM and pulls out a wad of cash. We see a person on the street highlighted as 'potential victim' 'potential suspect' is also highlighted. Suspect pulls a knife and puts it to victims throat, protagonist pulls a gun towards the suspect, suspect runs and a chase ensues. Ends up catching suspect and police are now onto the protagonist, he uses some hacking to crash cars and get away. Then goes up onto a train station and hacks a train to stop immediately and jumps on the train. A security camera spots the protagonist and he pulls out his phone ready to hack it and the demo ends.
  • Blizzard Entertainment out now. "First time ever on console". Blizzard and Sony have entered into a strategic partnership to 'take over the world' (jokingly said...or is it?!). "Which franchises can translate to console?". Diablo 3 on PS4 (/PS3 as well).
  • Activision taking to the stage now. Debuting gameplay of Bungie's new title Destiny. Short, sharp glimpses of gameplay showing off stunning vista's, scope and designs. Exclusive content just for the PlayStation community coming on release.
  • Shows over folks! Thanks for reading! :)
All trailers, discussion and information can go here now since it's 100% confirmed!

PlayStation 4 Announcement Live Stream (Replay):

Killzone Shadow Fall Gameplay Demo:

inFAMOUS: Second Son Trailer:

DriveClub Trailer:

Knack Trailer:

Watch Dogs Gameplay Demo:

Awesome work mate, cheers for that. :thumbsu: What're your thoughts on the announcement?
Writing a lot of this stuff down meant I missed a fair amount of things that were said at times. But I loved the look of all the sharing elements, being able to stream and upload footage without the need of editing software that I don't know and a HD PVR that I don't want to shell out for is incredible.

I think a lot of people are already looking at the wrong things. Pricing? What the system looks like? What do these things do to impact how and what I play?! There's still PLENTY of time for that stuff to be announced and shown and it's very easy to understand that Sony wouldn't know the status of a lot of this stuff right now either anyway, so it'd be stupid of them to announce and show of those things so far out.

I'm interested in both Killzone and inFAMOUS (LOVE inFAMOUS) and they both looked great. DriveClub could be a little too hardcore for me, not being a racing fan, but if Evolution make it like Apocalypse I'd be in.

I think Sony addressed the points they needed to address. They're buddying up to Indie devs showing that a guy like Jonathon Blow can come and develop and enjoy the system (look up his history and he was treated like absolute dogshit by MS). And Activision+Bungie giving exclusive content shows that the MS+Activision bond could be broken now.

From what I heard of the Gaikai stuff it sounded great. Seems like they want to create the best, most stable and fastest online network going around. Who wouldn't like that?

System specs seem to be good from what people have said too, which is great.

There's still tons to show, plenty to be excited about, plenty of questions to ask and answers to get. Seems like they did what they needed to do for publishers, devs and gamers, while leaving plenty of people talking about it as well.

There's still tons to show, plenty to be excited about, plenty of questions to ask and answers to get. Seems like they did what they needed to do for publishers, devs and gamers, while leaving plenty of people talking about it as well.
Agree with most of that.

I think the "* you Microsoft/Nintendo" approach taken in the advertisements made people expect this announcement to be the be all and end all; the announcement that screamed, "Buy me over the 720/U" - but that was never what it was intended to be.

I was pleased with what they showed today, and until they started with the advertisements I didn't expect any more. I'm happy that they showed quite a few games, along with the technology, but as you said there are a lot of questions remaining.

Tl;dr - good announcement, but the marketing made it out to be something it wasn't which is going to make some people disappointed.

I enjoyed it.

Killzone looks like what you want in a launch title. Something to kill people both with mates and online.

I think it makes the PS Vita a lot more relevant, which lets face it they really needed it to become.
Agree.

I think what they've done is appeal to everyone. The Witness is your puzzle game; Driveclub your racing game; Killzone your classic shoot-'em-up; inFamous the continued exclusive; Diablo 3 to hopefully bring some PC gamers across; Deep Down as something new; Watch Dogs as your "GTA-style" game with a twist, etc etc. They planned the game announcements really well I thought.

Agree with most of that.

I think the "**** you Microsoft/Nintendo" approach taken in the advertisements made people expect this announcement to be the be all and end all; the announcement that screamed, "Buy me over the 720/U" - but that was never what it was intended to be.

I was pleased with what they showed today, and until they started with the advertisements I didn't expect any more. I'm happy that they showed quite a few games, along with the technology, but as you said there are a lot of questions remaining.

Tl;dr - good announcement, but the marketing made it out to be something it wasn't which is going to make some people disappointed.
The marketing got people watching, it did exactly what was intended on that part. And as I said before it was all just playful banter, every company has jabs like that. Sony did land a few blows during the conference by stealing Activision support and getting exclusivity there too, and the Blow announcement as I said is another step. These sort of things are what you don't see the immediate impact of right now, but if you look at what they mean, they're big for Sony and Sony relations going forward into the new console.

To most people you see Blow out on stage and you go 'oh this douchebag is announcing some tossy game, yay...' but what it's saying is that a guy who has been treated badly by console (and specifically downloadable content) development before is willing to give it another chance because Sony have opened the dev system up so much that it's just easy to develop on. These sorts of things will have major impact once the system is out (after all we've seen plenty of the 'inferior' titles on the PS3 this gen, that's not going to be a thing anymore).

This is really what a press conference should be. You announce games, you show that you want to head in the right direction and for the gamers, you entice but don't show too much so as to leave anticipation.

Now all I want is E3 to hurry up so I can get more and more and more!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also they only announced a few games, but we know there is more to come as Sony aren't going to leave nothing for E3 which is when Microsoft probably hits back.

They'll have pricing, release date and the actual console for E3 IMO.

Along with more first party games most likely Gran Turismo 6, which would've been held back in order not to clash with Drive Club.

Woooooooooooooo.

Specs, also the reveal that every console will come with a headset.

Also the first statement of cross-game chat?

Source: http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/02/...tation-4-processing-specs-dualshock-4-and-eye
Sony has confirmed that the PlayStation 4 will be powered by a custom 8-core AMD "Jaguar" x86-64 with integrated graphics APU and "next-generation" AMD Radeon graphics processor capable of driving 1.84 teraflops. As detailed at the event, it will come paired with 8GB of dedicated GDDR5 memory, making it competitive with most gaming-focused PCs on the market. As expected, the system will ship with a Blu-ray drive, built-in 80.211 b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.1, as well as HDMI, Analog-AV, and optical digital output. Sony is giving I/O options a boost with the inclusion of USB 3.0 ports and a mysteriously vague "AUX" port. Each system will ship a "Mono Headset" for cross-game chat and other social features.

Launch titles are 90% inane, uninspired, and boring anyway. Drive Club is going to be lame as soon as you think "yeah, these graphics are cool."

EDIT: So is GTA5 a good shout to be on PS4?

No idea if anyone else, media or otherwise, has picked this one up yet, but I was looking over the new UI pic and noticed something strange about what was in the image.

trophiesactivities1.jpg

Notice the username there - DayZ100

So first off, as far as I'm aware that's not a username on the PSN (and certainly wouldn't have been able to have achieved 2700+ trophies since that game came out!). So you have to wonder how or why that ends up in this picture, considering these pictures are very carefully controlled and set up specifically. Could it be Sony putting an easter egg of a future game to be announced?

Just a week ago the dev of Day Z was stating how the game could potentially run on PS4 and 720 and there was no ruling out of Day Z coming to either platform either.

I don't know about anyone else, but that seems like a highly suspicious username to have chosen for a UI screen. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Day Z will eventually be confirmed as coming to next-gen consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back