Michael Riley

Team Captain
Jun 17, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Brighton VFA
Hi all,

I am doing some research into the collection of football photos at the State Library of Victoria by photographer Charles Boyles. I have been working with Ken Mansell and we have already tried many avenues to identify photos. We were hoping that posting some of the photos here may jog some memories.

The collection was submitted to the library in 2008, but many photos remain unidentified. I was wondering if anyone can help me work out who some of the players are.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Round: 9 Venue: Arden St Date: Mon, 13-Jun-1949 2:30 PM Attendance: 10,000 vs St Kilda
122_177_resize.jpg

Direct link to high quality version at State Library http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/17025

Because of the players already identified, it is likely that this Round 9 1949

Top row - Jock Spencer, UNKNOWN, Gerald Marchesi, Vic Lawrence, John Reeves, Jock Lineen
Middle row - Stan Radloff, Leo Francis, Jock McCorkell, Ted Jarrard, Kevin Dynon, Laurie Shipp, UNKNOWN, Les Reeves
Front row - UNKNOWN, Don Condon, James Malone, UNKNOWN, Keith McKenzie, UNKNOWN

The Unknown Players should be:
  • Baglin, Lindsay
  • Bradford, Jim
  • Hedley, Jack
  • Jeeves, Frank
  • ORourke, Ernie
Can anyone identify the Unknown players in the photo, or can anyone confirm that this is not a team from round 9 1949.

From the Scotch College website

Lindsay Baglin

58111.jpg

Middle row, 2nd from the right is Frank Jeeves. Frank played the entire 1950 finals series and was centre half forward in the 1950 grand final. A good player cruelled by injury.

Back 2nd from the left is Lindsay Baglin. A half back recruited from Footscray (5 games)

Front row far left is Jim "Nipper" Bradford who is recorded at 155cm and the shortest man to ever play AFL/VFL football (9 games). This picture was taken at Jims last game of VFL football. He went to Camberwell where he starred and was named rover in that clubs team of the century.

Thanks Royals1922 for the photos.
That could be Baglin in the back row....maybe.....

I used stats.rleague to compile a list of who played which match.
Note that Les Foote only missed 3 games for the season and he does not appear in the photo. Round 9 sticks out as being the match in question.

Hmmmmmmm...

North1949.jpg

Thanks OldSkool!!!!!!...by the time I had written my post you had solved it.!

I am impressed that you can identify someone who played 9 games over 60 years ago!

That is the round 9 match v StKilda at Arden Street as the other 2 matches which Foote missed in 1949 were played at Princes Park and Windy Hill.

Thanks OldSkool!!!!!!...by the time I had written my post you had solved it.!

I am impressed that you can identify someone who played 9 games over 60 years ago!

Our pleasure Michael.

Please consider posting any North related photos or articles to this board so we can add them to our own archives.

OK, here's another:

According to Damien Green's website the Following photo appeared in "1948/49 Football Souvenir Magazine Portraits"
This photo is Round: 5 Venue: M.C.G. Date: Sat, 14-May-1949 2:30 - North defeat Melbourne by 2 points

Looks like it was taken at half time. Players look a bit battered.
1949North.jpg

Cropped version of Photo at State Library http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/16927

Top row - Les Reeves, Jock Spencer, John Reeves, Reg Ryan, Vic Lawrence, Laurie Shipp, Jock Lineen, UNKNOWN
Middle row - Eric Parkes, Ted Jarrard, Les Foote, Wally Carter (coach), Kevin Dynon, Keith McKenzie, Jock McCorkell
Front row - James Malone, UNKNOWN, Don Condon, UNKNOWN, UNKNOWN, Stan Radloff

The Unknown players should be:
  • Bradford, Jim
  • Hedley, Jack
  • Jeeves, Frank
  • ORourke, Ernie

BTW: There is actually a third photo from the 1949 season at the state library. Round 16, the return game at Arden Street where North again scraped home by 6 points to defeat the deamons. See http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/16783. But I have all the names

There are not many other north photos. The photographer Charles Boyles took Football photos for 30 years. over 250 of his photos are available via the Library catalogue and available to anyone. They just are lacking in proper identification and names. I have seen a 3rds photo posted here previously that is from the collection. But I will try and post some of the others as well. (a 1935 team and a past players team from the 1950s. Each of them would benefit if a few more people were identified in them.)

I imagine Frank Jeeves would be top row in that photo based on him being identified in the first photo. Same hair and face.

Jim Bradford front row second from left based on first photo also.

OLD SCHOOL,
Ernie is the other name to appear in both photos and the player second from right (front row) in the above photo is the same bloke as far right front row in first photo (as you said)

Thanks Michael, much appreciated. We will add these to our history thread.

If I had to guess then, based purely on their looks, I would say the bloke to the right of Don Condon is Jack Hedley (18 y.o.) and the bloke next to him is Ernie O'Rourke (23 y.o.).

O'Rourke played 39 games with Melbourne including the 1946 grand final before switching to North for the 1949 season. Perhaps a Melbourne supporter might be able to clear this up?

The heights may assist.

3 of the blokes were short people by our standards.

Bradford was 155cm, Hedley 163cm and o'rourke 173 cm. That MAY be your front row on the basis that they put all the short people in the front row.

Baglin and jeeves were a massive 180cm.

By way of a barometer, Gerald Marchesi on the backrow was 178 cm and Specer was 185cm so the bloke next to him looks a little shorter than marchesi and may be O'Rourke. Similarly Les Reeves on the second row was 179cm so the bloke next to him ought be Baglin or jeeves. Also keith McKenzie - first row-was 178cm tall.James Malone -front row-was also 173 cm.
So my call looking at the heights and the other photos -
Round: 9 Venue: Arden St Date: Mon, 13-Jun-1949 2:30 PM Attendance: 10,000 vs St Kilda
122_177_resize.jpg

Direct link to high quality version at State Library http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/17025

Top row - Jock Spencer, UNKNOWN, Gerald Marchesi, Vic Lawrence, John Reeves, Jock Lineen
Middle row - Stan Radloff, Leo Francis, Jock McCorkell, Ted Jarrard, Kevin Dynon, Laurie Shipp, UNKNOWN, Les Reeves
If the names are correct, I suggest-
Top row O'rourke
Middle row Jeeves (see the posted photo of Jeeves)
Extreme left front row-Bradford then Hedley next to James Malone.

However the bloke on the end looks taller than Keith McKenzie and Hedley was 13 cm shorter than McKenzie so that maybe Baglin (seethe photo of Baglin).

I reserve the right to be wildly wrong though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK, here's another:

According to Damien Green's website the Following photo appeared in "1948/49 Football Souvenir Magazine Portraits"
This photo is Round: 5 Venue: M.C.G. Date: Sat, 14-May-1949 2:30 - North defeat Melbourne by 2 points

Looks like it was taken at half time. Players look a bit battered.
1949North.jpg

Cropped version of Photo at State Library http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/16927

Top row - Les Reeves, Jock Spencer, John Reeves, Reg Ryan, Vic Lawrence, Laurie Shipp, Jock Lineen, UNKNOWN
Middle row - Eric Parkes, Ted Jarrard, Les Foote, Wally Carter (coach), Kevin Dynon, Keith McKenzie, Jock McCorkell
Front row - James Malone, UNKNOWN, Don Condon, UNKNOWN, UNKNOWN, Stan Radloff

The Unknown players should be:
  • Bradford, Jim
  • Hedley, Jack
  • Jeeves, Frank
  • ORourke, Ernie

BTW: There is actually a third photo from the 1949 season at the state library. Round 16, the return game at Arden Street where North again scraped home by 6 points to defeat the deamons. See http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/16783. But I have all the names

There are not many other north photos. The photographer Charles Boyles took Football photos for 30 years. over 250 of his photos are available via the Library catalogue and available to anyone. They just are lacking in proper identification and names. I have seen a 3rds photo posted here previously that is from the collection. But I will try and post some of the others as well. (a 1935 team and a past players team from the 1950s. Each of them would benefit if a few more people were identified in them.)

Going on previous photos - top row Jeeves.

Stan Radloff was reported 170cm and Don condon reportedly 171 cm.

Front row - Bradford - Condon at 171cm and Malone at 173cm look like giants next to him, Hedley to right of Condon and the player to the extreme right looks more like Baglin (180cm) given that Radloff was 170cm and O'rourke 173cm.

I also reserve the right to be wildly wrong.

Thank you all for your assistance above, I will have to look for some other photos for confirmation, but I had not thought of using player heights. good idea.

I did promise to post the other North Melbourne Boyles photos from the State Library so here is the first. This is probably a 1935 North Melbourne team. Any ideas?

North122_178_1_resize.jpg

Cropped version of origianl at State Library of Victoria: http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/16735

Top Row:Unknown,Unknown,Unknown,Johnny Lewis), Neville Huggins
Middle Row: Unknown,Unknown,Unknown,Unknown,Tom Fitzmaurice, Unknown,Johnny Gregory,Unknown,Unknown
Front Row: Unknown,Unknown,Unknown, Wally Carter.

Very blurry North Melbourne past players team???? Probably Wally Carter in the suit in the middle of the photo. A huge crowd, filling the grandstand at Arden Street. (Noticable in the original, I have cropped the photo here so that the faces are easier to recognise.)

If you can narrow the year, or identify any officials or players, it would be appreciated.
North122_181_resize.jpg

Cropped version of origianl at State Library of Victoria:http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/16834

Great work Mick. Historical gold.

I would be surprised if that wasn't Charlie Gaudion back row far left of the first photo. The picture is definitely 1935 as Tom Fitzmaurice is captain. I would imagine that one of the suits next to him would be Dr Berman who was the club president.

I doubt the second photo is at Arden Street if the players are wearing white shorts.

I'll put some time in to these when I get a chance.

Thank you all for your assistance above, I will have to look for some other photos for confirmation, but I had not thought of using player heights. good idea.

I did promise to post the other North Melbourne Boyles photos from the State Library so here is the first. This is probably a 1935 North Melbourne team. Any ideas?

Cropped version of origianl at State Library of Victoria: http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/16735

Middle Row: Unknown,Unknown,Unknown,Unknown,Tom Fitzmaurice, Unknown,Johnny Gregory,Unknown,Unknown

Now assuming that 1935 is the correct year and that the players named are correctly named ( every player named played for NM between 1932 to 1935) and noting that the game is at Arden Street ( you can see that from the original print) the game would most likely be round 7 in 1935 against Melbourne.

The key is that Johnny Gregory played only 5 games in 1935, his last game in round 7 ( being round 1,2, 3, 6 and 7), and Tom Fitzmaurice played 4 games in 1935 (rounds 1,6,7 and 8) and Johnny Lewis did not play in round 1 and Wally Carter played 18 games and Neville Huggins missed round 8 only.

That leaves round 6 or 7 and round 6 was an away game to Carlton at Princess Park which leaves the round 7 game as the likely candidiate, ASSUMING the year named is right as are the players identified to date.

Over to you Old Skool......

Jimmy Adamson played in round 7 1935.

Here's a picture of the Vic team-

500px-VIctorian_Interstate-Team-(1933).jpg

Adamson is third row extreme right.

Another who played in round 7 was Jack Wrout:

show_image.php

See here playing for the blues.

Hi all,

I am doing some research into the collection of football photos at the State Library of Victoria by photographer Charles Boyles. I have been working with Ken Mansell and we have already tried many avenues to identify photos. We were hoping that posting some of the photos here may jog some memories.

The collection was submitted to the library in 2008, but many photos remain unidentified. I was wondering if anyone can help me work out who some of the players are.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

122_177_resize.jpg

The Unknown Players should be:
  • Baglin, Lindsay
  • Bradford, Jim
  • Hedley, Jack
  • Jeeves, Frank
  • ORourke, Ernie
Can anyone identify the Unknown players in the photo, or can anyone confirm that this is not a team from round 9 1949.

Front row is Wally Guy, Eric's brother. Played with Carrum, Sorrento (1936 B&F). Dromana FC has his full biography and using this photo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back