PLEASE try something new Buckley

Remove this Banner Ad

Cloke will play CHF more when Reid comes back, to play him there when Elliott is our most reliable target forward won't get us anywhere. White can't be expected to take on gorillas deep, he's played his best football roaming around the forward half using his athleticism to create separation.

It just further reiterates how incredibly important Reid is really.

With so many things wrong against a side that will challenge for a top 4 spot....how the hell were we within a kick with 3 minutes to play? Could it possibly be that Bucks and his boys are doing things that the genius AFL head coaching incumbents on BF simply don't understand? I was pretty happy with how we played last night, I guess I have no right to be when we're obviously doing so much wrong?

This is spot on Robroy. I outlined a couple of things that I think could better serve us going forward. Just simple positional stuff. Overall though, there are a lot of people with no clue who say how badly we are going.

Last night we came around the Half Back line, and we were five points down. The crowd was ecstatic at that stage. I can't remember who had the ball, but he kicked it wide on the forward flank non city side to a two on one. IF we won that, and kicked it in and marked, we would of won the game by one point against a quality side in the eyes of the football public. We did that without Marley Williams, who I rate highly, Ben Reid, who I rate even higher. We are not the team that 60% of Collingwood supporters think we are. They whinge about disposal, but the pressure on all kicks was intense to the max, and a sensible person could see why there was a problem. Even kicks that slipped off with no pressure, the running intensity on the game, made legs sore, and targets missed by both sides. Some supporters yell out, "jesus I can kick better than that", that might be true, if you get that supporter out of his seat, and take him down to that spot, but what about the gut running the offending player just went through.

C'mon people, any chance of some intellegence with the Pie supporters, or are we made that way. We are not far off a bloody good side. Lets hope Marley gets off, Reidy comes back, and we prove it.

few things i noticed at the game:
Grundy has absolutely no tank. He is running behind his opponent and cannot even lift his legs to get to the next contest.
Cloke did play CHF for stages of the game while White took the FB position
Fasolo got outplayed by his opponent on a number of occasions but this needs to be persisted with
We have absolutely no one who can hit a target coming out of defence.
Our skills are woeful.

No he didn't. I was there, and he was full forward all night, until Keeffe went into the forward line, and Cloke for the last couple of minutes of the game, hesitantly went up to 35 meters out, while Keeffe snuck in behind him. It is as if Cloke said to us when we sign him, I will sign if I stay in the FF spot for the rest of my career. He doesn't look keen to come out of there. He did lead up a fair bit, one time being right up to half back. But when the goal was kicked for either side, Cloke was FF all night.

When does Reid return? Because this is a forward line we should play
HF: Tyson Goldsack, Travis Cloke, -Midfielder-
F: Jamie Elliot, Ben Reid, Jesse White

Some might think its too top heavy with 4 193cm+ players, but Goldy and White are athletically gifted and Goldys inside 50 pressure acts are the best in our team so he basically plays as a 180cm type.

I've got some fairly strong opinions on it. I won't go too hard, but one for the punters at home.

There are two players from the 01 draft really struggling ATM. There's strong murmurings about one being injured, but the only injury he has is an effort muscle! The other is still brilliant at the contest, but is useless on the spread.
He was clearly struggling even in the warm up. Looked slow and sore. It's not an effort muscle.

With so many things wrong against a side that will challenge for a top 4 spot....how the hell were we within a kick with 3 minutes to play? Could it possibly be that Bucks and his boys are doing things that the genius AFL head coaching incumbents on BF simply don't understand? I was pretty happy with how we played last night, I guess I have no right to be when we're obviously doing so much wrong?

Just shows you how easily you can be deceived. I thought Buck's coaching was crap. The quicker that we make some changes to everything, the quicker we win a premiership. It's ok to be sarcastic about the experts on BF but they have the runs on the board. Bucks should be logging in to learn a few things

I agree with most of this. Ball is our only legit INSIDE midfielder. Of course the others do inside work every now and then, but mostly Pendles, Swanny, Sidey and Beamer are OUTSIDE. Thomas is a good INSIDE midfielder, why isn't getting a game? And why is Adams playing as the Sub every week? Give the kid a go, he took over from Heafy. Let him play.

I wish the AFL would put their positions on the back of their jumpers. It would make it a lot easier.

Unfortunately Quick if you stand still the game very quickly leaves you behind. Swan can still make an impact because he hasn't lost his pace (yet), but, IMO, Ball is really struggling. Like McLean he can't run out of sight on a foggy day once the ball leaves the contest....

That recruitment of Armstrong. Right now is when it kills us the most!! The posters that said ah well what's he cost us? You know what he cost us a senior list spot that could belong to Kyle Martin! As it stands we have him sitting on the rookie list with no possibility of upgrade without special dispensation from the AFL with Williams (which I doubt will be forthcoming).

You've got 3 (4 if you include Adams as sub) quickish ball winners waiting in the wings in JT, Martin and Kennedy yet we can't get them into the senior line up. That is the something new Buckley needs to try.

The result probably would have been the same with Kennedy in place of Dwyer, JT in place of Ball and Martin in place of Blair and there's pros and cons to each decision.

I'm not advocating going bang bang bang at the selection table in the space of a week, however we'll never know if we don't give it a shot.

Why would we give him a spot on the list?

He's behind Adams, Fasolo, Thomas, Blair, Dwyer, Elliot and Kennedy.

When does Reid return? Because this is a forward line we should play
HF: Tyson Goldsack, Travis Cloke, -Midfielder-
F: Jamie Elliot, Ben Reid, Jesse White

Some might think its too top heavy with 4 193cm+ players, but Goldy and White are athletically gifted and Goldys inside 50 pressure acts are the best in our team so he basically plays as a 180cm type.

Blair's are better.

Just shows you how easily you can be deceived. I thought Buck's coaching was crap. The quicker that we make some changes to everything, the quicker we win a premiership. It's ok to be sarcastic about the experts on BF but they have the runs on the board. Bucks should be logging in to learn a few things

Oh I can't wait to hear the BF "experts" CV's.....pray tell.

maybe then we "mere mortals" can compare them to Bucks and his measly 6 Copelands, a Brownlow, a Norm Smith ohhh and a couple of years AFL (not under 9) coaching.

Oh I can't wait to hear the BF "experts" CV's.....pray tell.

maybe then we "mere mortals" can compare them to Bucks and his measly 6 Copelands, a Brownlow, a Norm Smith ohhh and a couple of years AFL (not under 9) coaching.

Dont disrespect under 9 coaching... and all those awards dont matter when it comes to winning premierships. I think Buckley can learn from BF. One example is the astute use of the nick change. When things are going wrong for Bucks, he should consider changing his name to Malthouse - the confusion would give him time to consider what he was going to do next. He could completely change his coaching style in the space of one week, if he changed his name. That's just one example of learning from BF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have never read a more ridiculous comment in all my life

This is spot on Robroy. I outlined a couple of things that I think could better serve us going forward. Just simple positional stuff. Overall though, there are a lot of people with no clue who say how badly we are going.

Last night we came around the Half Back line, and we were five points down. The crowd was ecstatic at that stage. I can't remember who had the ball, but he kicked it wide on the forward flank non city side to a two on one. IF we won that, and kicked it in and marked, we would of won the game by one point against a quality side in the eyes of the football public. We did that without Marley Williams, who I rate highly, Ben Reid, who I rate even higher. We are not the team that 60% of Collingwood supporters think we are. They whinge about disposal, but the pressure on all kicks was intense to the max, and a sensible person could see why there was a problem. Even kicks that slipped off with no pressure, the running intensity on the game, made legs sore, and targets missed by both sides. Some supporters yell out, "jesus I can kick better than that", that might be true, if you get that supporter out of his seat, and take him down to that spot, but what about the gut running the offending player just went through.

C'mon people, any chance of some intellegence with the Pie supporters, or are we made that way. We are not far off a bloody good side. Lets hope Marley gets off, Reidy comes back, and we prove it.

I think that, and this has happened a lot over the least few years, Collingwood often performs well due to the individual brilliance of our best players, and not the structures the team employs

I should add I got flamed for suggesting Cloke should be trialled as a full back.
Having him on Hawkins last night might have been the difference between winning and losing.
If that happened Elliot would have attracted Lonergan or Taylor and been snuffed out of the game, and James Kelly would have had a field day. We just need more half forward talent that forces guys like Mackie to primarily defend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No he didn't. I was there, and he was full forward all night, until Keeffe went into the forward line, and Cloke for the last couple of minutes of the game, hesitantly went up to 35 meters out, while Keeffe snuck in behind him. It is as if Cloke said to us when we sign him, I will sign if I stay in the FF spot for the rest of my career. He doesn't look keen to come out of there. He did lead up a fair bit, one time being right up to half back. But when the goal was kicked for either side, Cloke was FF all night.

You must not have been watching. When Jessie White was not rucking and went forward he and cloke rotated between FF and CHF.

Bucks needs to put a line through players that can't kick. He has thrown out the forward press and put a came plan that requires skill. Players like ball, Blair, Dwyer don't play them anymore there skill level is terrible. There are about another 5 or so in the twos that we need to get rid of. The 20 to 30 meter kick has become the most important kick in today's footy and if you can't hit that target you won't make it.

I think it is too soon to talk about trying something different. Last night we missed a Sinclair/Seedsman/Williams type, missed Reid/Brown, need a few more games into players playing together. So many new players and if you have ever just joined a team, it takes a few weeks playing together to get into some rhythm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back