POD's

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed, he is in their best 22, and agreed he is the best the saints have in that role. My only point is that I cant see him holding down the same amount of time within that role with other players coming through.

Didn't miss it, just dont really agree with it.

Fisher played 7 games last year, with 1 win, so he was hardly the difference for them.

Fisher playing that role is not going to be the difference between the Saints winning and loosing. Fisher can be just as effective for the saints, and as important to their chances of winning by straying deep and directing the backs from their.

And I honestly cant see the saints offloading Richardson after his second year giving the team he has inherited. He has already brought him some quality, but he needs time to develop them. I wouldn't expect a much better showing from the Saints this year than last year, and there is nothing wrong with that. Richardson needs to show improvement in the playing squad, and show that they are moving forward, the natural progression of players like Billings, Dunstan, Newnes, Webster etc, should ensure a couple of extra wins. Plus they will have a fully fit Joey and Steven. They should win a couple more games, but it wont be because of Fisher.

I don't think any single player has enough influence to determine weather the team wins or loses, except maybe Ablett, so I'm not sure what your getting at there.

By that logic Montagna is the same age and won't be a part of there next premiership so will he be playing in a FP or the reserves to give the young kids a go?

Also the turnover rate for coaches is high - coaching has low job security and the key metric that determines success is wins & losses. Kidding yourself if you don't think Richardson will be hell bent on winning regardless of expectation.

Anyone considering Jaeger O'Meara?

What's the deal with Joel Hamling? Where's he at? I've seen him in a couple of sides, basement price, already had experience at an AFL club. I haven't heard a lot about him though. Being a key position back at the Bulldogs and moving clubs for more opportunities at senior level, does anyone rate him as a viable backline option?

Can anyone tell me Robbie Gray's ownership?

Can anyone tell me Robbie Gray's ownership?

29.56%

This includes me. Regretted not starting him last year. It was a coin toss between him and Wingard. :(

Pretty safe to say, that if he plays all year, he'll be in the top 3 or 4 fwds at year's end.

upload_2015-2-24_22-55-20.jpeg

If the Intra club game was anything to go by Savage will be getting a lot of the ball this year. He was used yo bring it majority of the time.
Will become a target for opposition teams I reckon, but could be tempting judging by his back end of 2014.

I don't think any single player has enough influence to determine weather the team wins or loses, except maybe Ablett, so I'm not sure what your getting at there.

By that logic Montagna is the same age and won't be a part of there next premiership so will he be playing in a FP or the reserves to give the young kids a go?

Also the turnover rate for coaches is high - coaching has low job security and the key metric that determines success is wins & losses. Kidding yourself if you don't think Richardson will be hell bent on winning regardless of expectation.

Thats exactly what im getting at. Saying Fisher will play that role over some of the younger guys because the Saints need to win seems a little presumptuous.

And yes, Montagna is the same age, and whilst he isn't in my team and unlike Fisher I do expect him to improve on last year. For no other reason but the fact he only averaged 89 last year. But for the same reason as I dont think Fisher will average mid 90's, I dont think Montagna will be back to 110 either.

Older players in general will find it hard to recapture their best, and considering their are younger guys coming through and pushing for a spot in a bottom 8 team, i'd say anything but recapturing their best would result in an older player taking less of a role (there are obvious expections, but Fisher continuing to play freely across the back half doesn't seem like one to me)

Im not suggesting either will be relegated to the reserves, actually not sure why everyone keeps making that jump, simply that they will not be used in same role as much, there for impacting their ability to average at or close to their previous peaks.

And I know the turn over rate for coaches is high, but like I said with the natural progression of the quality youngs the Saints have and the return to form from a few key players like Montagna and Steven, the Saints should be able to win more games without having to use Fisher in the same role. They only won 1 with him last year anyway, so not exactly the game changer people are making him out to be.

Thats exactly what im getting at. Saying Fisher will play that role over some of the younger guys because the Saints need to win seems a little presumptuous.

And yes, Montagna is the same age, and whilst he isn't in my team and unlike Fisher I do expect him to improve on last year. For no other reason but the fact he only averaged 89 last year. But for the same reason as I dont think Fisher will average mid 90's, I dont think Montagna will be back to 110 either.

Older players in general will find it hard to recapture their best, and considering their are younger guys coming through and pushing for a spot in a bottom 8 team, i'd say anything but recapturing their best would result in an older player taking less of a role (there are obvious expections, but Fisher continuing to play freely across the back half doesn't seem like one to me)

Im not suggesting either will be relegated to the reserves, actually not sure why everyone keeps making that jump, simply that they will not be used in same role as much, there for impacting their ability to average at or close to their previous peaks.

And I know the turn over rate for coaches is high, but like I said with the natural progression of the quality youngs the Saints have and the return to form from a few key players like Montagna and Steven, the Saints should be able to win more games without having to use Fisher in the same role. They only won 1 with him last year anyway, so not exactly the game changer people are making him out to be.

Yeah well I suppose we are all just guessing until the real stuff starts. Will be interesting to see what role he plays in the NAB.

Yeah well I suppose we are all just guessing until the real stuff starts. Will be interesting to see what role he plays in the NAB.

Could not agree more.

I'm always happy to be proven wrong, but as you said pretty much everything is conjecture and opinion at the moment. There is only so much you can take from intra clubs matches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's the deal with Joel Hamling? Where's he at? I've seen him in a couple of sides, basement price, already had experience at an AFL club. I haven't heard a lot about him though. Being a key position back at the Bulldogs and moving clubs for more opportunities at senior level, does anyone rate him as a viable backline option?

Like all rookies it'll be a case of see how he goes in the NAB Cup. Beveridge has said a few times this preseason that he wants a couple of guys down back to help Morris and Roughead out and there is three guys that fit that role with one being Hamling. At this stage he is a solid chance to play round 1 and if he performs well the NAB games he will be in.

Like all rookies it'll be a case of see how he goes in the NAB Cup. Beveridge has said a few times this preseason that he wants a couple of guys down back to help Morris and Roughead out and there is three guys that fit that role with one being Hamling. At this stage he is a solid chance to play round 1 and if he performs well the NAB games he will be in.
At least we can have a look at his this weekend.

It's basically between him and Talia for the CHB spot round 1.
Talia is ahead currently (more physically developed and better endurance) but Hamling is a better kick and has better closing speed so isn't out of the running yet. Named in the NAB cup match tomorrow

That's much higher than I thought. I thought the price would put more people off.

Yeah I thought the same thing. Perhaps some will drop off, perhaps not.

IMO I can't really see his price getting much lower than it is now. Better to get him in at the start so you don't miss out on some good scores.
That and there's every chance that once he hits $600k, he won't drop under again.

Yeah I thought the same thing. Perhaps some will drop off, perhaps not.

IMO I can't really see his price getting much lower than it is now. Better to get him in at the start so you don't miss out on some good scores.
That and there's every chance that once he hits $600k, he won't drop under again.
+1.

Why fart ass around with trades to get him 5c cheaper in round 3? :p:D

Will become a target for opposition teams I reckon, but could be tempting judging by his back end of 2014.
Pretty sure he became a target, owing to his form, last year. Didn't seem to bother him. I am squarely on the Gray train. Guy's a stud, genuinely elite footballer like few others IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back