Games & Recreation Pointless Trivia

Remove this Banner Ad

As well as the aforementioned qat there are numerable others, the three most common that I play are SUQ, QAID and QADI. Also words like burqa. And whilst qwijibo might not be in there, QWERTY is.

I've always played Scrabble allowing English words only. Suq, qaid and qadi are all Arabic words. Suq in English would be souk, wouldn't it?

Entrepreneur for example would be allowed (though I don't know how you would get it down), but fromage wouldn't be. I've never seen anyone try to play one of the above Arabic words.

Due to effects if Earth's gravity on the space-time fabric the clocks in the GPS orbiting satellites need to be adjusted by 38 nano seconds per day otherwise the global positioning system will be wrong by an accumulating factor of nearly 10km per day!

General relativity in the real world.

I've always played Scrabble allowing English words only. Suq, qaid and qadi are all Arabic words. Suq in English would be souk, wouldn't it?

Entrepreneur for example would be allowed (though I don't know how you would get it down), but fromage wouldn't be. I've never seen anyone try to play one of the above Arabic words.
Suq and souk are synonyms.

They are English words of Arabic descent. Do you allow CWM (as mentioned previously in this thread)? AA (Hawaiian)? QI (Chinese)? What about olde English? Thee? Thine?

Where do you draw the line (personally I draw it at the Scrabble dictionary)?

Scrabble is about knowing obscure words and being able to form them.

In the same way that a cat is a feline and a dog is a canine, the thrush is classified as a turdine.

Driving was done on the left-hand side of the road in Sweden until 1965. The conversion was done on a weekday at 5pm when all traffic stopped to switch sides. This time was chosen to prevent accidents where drivers would've gotten up in the morning and been too sleepy to realise the day of the changeover.

And even more interesting is that road accidents decreased in the weeks following the change over.

No one has ever drowned swimming between the flags (perhaps not pointless).

2 Australian track and field records which stand today where completed before man landed on the moon.
Peter Norman still holds Australia's 200 metre records (20.06), this was when he claimed silver at the Mexico City Olympics. The other is Ralph Doubell in the 800 metre race.
For those who don't know this was when the two American's who came 1st and third held a "Black Panther" salute during the US national anthem, monumental event obviously.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1 in 2 smokers die from their habit. On average, smoking reduces a smokers lifespan by ten years.

What if someone gave you a sausage containing poo, however you were unaware and actually preferred it to non poo sausages. Would you try it again?

Yes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back