Injury Polec missed the season but is on the road to recovery

Remove this Banner Ad

It's hard to say. Venturing around Google there are people who have acutely fractured it and others who have suffered a stress fracture in it (Polec is the latter). I read a story of a regular joe who injured his navicular rock climbing before splitting it in two on a family holiday traipsing around Disneyland for hours on end.

Either way it is a horrendous injury that involves lots and lots of time and a huge dose of luck due to the relatively tiny amount of blood supply the bone receives - Hayden Foxe, the ex-West Ham and Socceroos defender, had his career derailed by it as part of his navicular bone actually died due to starvation of blood supply.

Logic would tell you that even if Polec makes a full recovery this time there'll always be a greater than average risk of him reinjuring it as with any career-threatening injury.

Cheers DT.

My father had a chat to Polec's dad the other day and his dad said he would have liked for Jared to be put on the long term injury list 2-3 weeks before the coaching staff actually did it. Playing him for a few extra weeks was a stupid idea.

My father had a chat to Polec's dad the other day and his dad said he would have liked for Jared to be put on the long term injury list 2-3 weeks before the coaching staff actually did it. Playing him for a few extra weeks was a stupid idea.
Pretty much exactly what most of us thought

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Sure they did it on the assumption the injury couldn't get worse. Kens mantra has always been player health first so I can't see why this would change for Jared

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure they did it on the assumption the injury couldn't get worse. Kens mantra has always been player health first so I can't see why this would change for Jared

It was also unclear at the time what was wrong - they had to get people from interstate and overseas to form a diagnosis because the hotspot was so small. Easy in hindsight to say he shouldn't have played but since it was a stress response and not an actual fracture I'm sure it was harder to pick up. Since he only played until Round 5 his dad was basically saying we should have put him on ice as soon as he picked up an injury in Round 2/3 - and without knowing exactly what the issue was that was never going to happen.

The club managed it as best they could. Of course if they knew straight away what the issue was they wouldn't have played him, but like in any profession sometimes you have to perform under duress.

Every old man is a sports scientist, doctor, phd in behaviour analytics, elite batting coach etc. Love my old man to death but geez his advice can be a little one dimensional. Not saying his dad might be wrong. But prefer a doctors or 2 opinion

Considering he played so well against Hawks in round 4, the injury obviously was sore but not that debilitating. Get him right for a big preseason and for round 1.

Considering he played so well against Hawks in round 4, the injury obviously was sore but not that debilitating. Get him right for a big preseason and for round 1.

Lol. Not that debilitating. Spoken like someone who has never had a navicular issue. He had to be on crutches for a few days after every game.

It was also unclear at the time what was wrong - they had to get people from interstate and overseas to form a diagnosis because the hotspot was so small. Easy in hindsight to say he shouldn't have played but since it was a stress response and not an actual fracture I'm sure it was harder to pick up. Since he only played until Round 5 his dad was basically saying we should have put him on ice as soon as he picked up an injury in Round 2/3 - and without knowing exactly what the issue was that was never going to happen.

The club managed it as best they could. Of course if they knew straight away what the issue was they wouldn't have played him, but like in any profession sometimes you have to perform under duress.

Yeah let's face it... Medical staff screwed up big time on this one. You don't play a young guy who was suffering stress related foot soreness. When you don't know what it is, you go and find the answer for it. We played Polec as the sub in 1 game and that had nothing to do with form, it had to do with his dodgy foot.... Poor management!

What a load of crap, geez the club gets blamed a lot by some poster on here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Why dat?
The wrong call was made. Deliberate or otherwise, in hindsight it was still the wrong call.

Yeah let's face it... Medical staff screwed up big time on this one. You don't play a young guy who was suffering stress related foot soreness. When you don't know what it is, you go and find the answer for it. We played Polec as the sub in 1 game and that had nothing to do with form, it had to do with his dodgy foot.... Poor management!
People on the outside who actually know nothing feel they can comment on this stuff? Poor. It appears he was played much less than other players in the past from other clubs with the same issue so it appears that Port were cautious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back