Injury Polec missed the season but is on the road to recovery

Remove this Banner Ad

Why dat?
The wrong call was made. Deliberate or otherwise, in hindsight it was still the wrong call.

Because the way people frame it it's like the club was negligent and deliberately put the team above player welfare. Jack Trengove played an entire season with this sort of problem before anyone had any idea about it at Melbourne, so it's not like it's easily diagnosed.

"Hey, let's play Jared for a couple more weeks and jeopardize his entire career in the process!" I don't think so. They made a call on the information that they had available, and I seem to remember that at the time the first scans came up all clear...it was only when they looked a little deeper that they saw the problem.

It was also unclear at the time what was wrong - they had to get people from interstate and overseas to form a diagnosis because the hotspot was so small. Easy in hindsight to say he shouldn't have played but since it was a stress response and not an actual fracture I'm sure it was harder to pick up. Since he only played until Round 5 his dad was basically saying we should have put him on ice as soon as he picked up an injury in Round 2/3 - and without knowing exactly what the issue was that was never going to happen.

I think the club would have managed it as best they could. Of course if they knew straight away what the issue was they wouldn't have played him, but like in any profession sometimes you have to perform under duress.
Yes if club stopped every player who has a niggle from playing there would be no team to field. In a perfect world no player would play with any soreness. That means basically every player in the team would have missed large chunks of the season or not ever play at all.

From the video it looks like Jared is on the Alter-G machine, so obviously he is not doing full wait bearing running yet.

Hopefully he makes a full recovery - he is vital to the way we play. He know instinctively how to slice through a zone defence.
We have missed our Polly. Looking forward to him back on the field next year.

Because the way people frame it it's like the club was negligent and deliberately put the team above player welfare. Jack Trengove played an entire season with this sort of problem before anyone had any idea about it at Melbourne, so it's not like it's easily diagnosed.

"Hey, let's play Jared for a couple more weeks and jeopardize his entire career in the process!" I don't think so. They made a call on the information that they had available, and I seem to remember that at the time the first scans came up all clear...it was only when they looked a little deeper that they saw the problem.
Fair enough, I missed the context. :thumbsu:

Last edited:
Lots of the time they will do a percentage of running on grass and another split on the AG machine and slowly work up to full grass

Lol. Not that debilitating. Spoken like someone who has never had a navicular issue. He had to be on crutches for a few days after every game.

I just meant that like a shoulder, you can work through it for a number of weeks with good management without too much restriction game day illustrated by his good game against Hawks. Clearly he's not going to be absolutely pain free and 100% but these days moon boots for recovery is common and as many people have just said initially it was just soreness with the scans being okay but it progressed despite conservative management and Polec said after the Crows game the new scans showed a crack so they put him on Ice. Everyone's such an expert with hindsight.

People on the outside who actually know nothing feel they can comment on this stuff? Poor. It appears he was played much less than other players in the past from other clubs with the same issue so it appears that Port were cautious.

Sorry to interrupt Burgo...continue

This pre season he looked sooo good...like elite levels.....

it was a damn shame i cant wait to see him play again

Get on the Polecat for the Brownlow next year. Or the Norm Smith.

Be interesting to see just how well he comes back from this. Was a massive loss to us this year and there is nobody that can fill his shoes. Maybe White but he has had his own problems this year. It just goes to show our depth is very shallow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This really underscores the need for second-tier players who can step up. I would like to see us get to a position where we can drop players who would generally be first 22 for the purpose of getting games into other players.

Be interesting to see just how well he comes back from this. Was a massive loss to us this year and there is nobody that can fill his shoes. Maybe White but he has had his own problems this year. It just goes to show our depth is very shallow.

Arch,S Gray and Amon have improved our depth big time...

A source of mine has gave me the tip that Polec wont start next year cause his injury is yet to heal and is unlikely get any better soon, enter Jimmy....

Have there been any other rumblings of this sort......

A source of mine has gave me the tip that Polec wont start next year cause his injury is yet to heal and is unlikely get any better soon, enter Jimmy....

Have there been any other rumblings of this sort......
Heard he needs to lose 5 KGs to release weight off the foot

Remove this Banner Ad

Back