Politics & Government Police Brutality

Will this be a catalyst for real change or will it be more of the same?

• Change

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • More of the same

Votes: 19 82.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

“I remember a big bang when they kicked the door in,” Mr Ratcliff said.

“I jumped straight up to see what the fuss was – someone’s kicked the door down on my mate’s house. I wanted to know what was going on. I remember getting thrown; I don’t remember getting tasered.”

Mr Ratcliff has no feeling from the chest down and minimal movement in his arms. He breathes through a tracheotomy tube and requires 24-hour nursing care.

“I am grieving for my past life – it’s like losing someone; I have lost myself,” he said.

Po-lice will most likely get off because of guilt by association. Pity their not held to the same standards.
http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wes...102696114?nk=af007ee977badbb34aab419ade6323ff

Po-lice will most likely get off because of guilt by association. Pity their not held to the same standards.
http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wes...102696114?nk=af007ee977badbb34aab419ade6323ff
That is appalling. I shouldn't be surprised but naively I am. Where's the outrage of a man losing his vitality and fullness? The fact so few people are so ignorant and blasé towards actions like this being so common, and reactions of justice being so uncommon, you can't help but be a little disappointed.

How exactly can people refuse to testify in Australia? Particularly police? I thought "pleading the fifth" was an American thing, and even they find ways around that

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk

How exactly can people refuse to testify in Australia? Particularly police? I thought "pleading the fifth" was an American thing, and even they find ways around that
What are you asking this question in relation to? I didn't see anything like that in the above story.

If you're talking about being called as a witness in court, then you can't refuse. (With a couple of technical exceptions but for the purposes of this thread)

If you're talking about answering questions in an investigation, then you don't have to say anything but anything you say may be recorded etc.

A police officers rights there are no different to anybody else's.

Because my idea of 'wrong' is different to that of the law.

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here.jpg

What are you asking this question in relation to? I didn't see anything like that in the above story.

If you're talking about being called as a witness in court, then you can't refuse. (With a couple of technical exceptions but for the purposes of this thread)

If you're talking about answering questions in an investigation, then you don't have to say anything but anything you say may be recorded etc.

A police officers rights there are no different to anybody else's.

A general question, but specifically brought on after the officers who allegedly threw a couple of homosexual men in a river in Adelaide and they drowned to death in the 70s, and they refused to testify in court, so where released without charge

A general question, but specifically brought on after the officers who allegedly threw a couple of homosexual men in a river in Adelaide and they drowned to death in the 70s, and they refused to testify in court, so where released without charge
Fair enough, I thought you were referring to the incident immediately above your post.

As for that Adelaide case, I don't know anything about it. Although your description of it seems a little confused - if they were released without charge, then testifying in court wasn't even an option?

Fair enough, I thought you were referring to the incident immediately above your post.

As for that Adelaide case, I don't know anything about it. Although your description of it seems a little confused - if they were released without charge, then testifying in court wasn't even an option?

Yeah, sorry, have tried to be brief whilst on my phone, I think it was called Duncan murders, could be wrong, best to wiki it

Point is cops got away with murder.

Found it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_George_Duncan

"On 5 February 1986 three former Vice Squad officers, Brian Hudson, Francis Cawley and Michael Clayton were charged with the manslaughter of Dr. Duncan. Cawley and Clayton eventually went to trial in 1988 with both being acquitted of the charges on 30 September after refusing to testify."

Found it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_George_Duncan

"On 5 February 1986 three former Vice Squad officers, Brian Hudson, Francis Cawley and Michael Clayton were charged with the manslaughter of Dr. Duncan. Cawley and Clayton eventually went to trial in 1988 with both being acquitted of the charges on 30 September after refusing to testify."
OK. "Refusing to testify" is probably a bit unnecessarily emotive, as the defendant in any trial has the choice of whether to give evidence or not.

Not saying they weren't campaigners, but being police gave them no special rights not available to anyone charged with any crime.

OK. "Refusing to testify" is probably a bit unnecessarily emotive, as the defendant in any trial has the choice of whether to give evidence or not.

Not saying they weren't campaigners, but being police gave them no special rights not available to anyone charged with any crime.

Well that is interesting, I was not aware such a thing existed in the Australian legal system during a trial.

Likewise, I find it highly unlikely they faced the typical standard of Australian police interrogations prior to the court date.

Likewise, I find it highly unlikely they faced the typical standard of Australian police interrogations prior to the court date.

There's an awful lot more to that story. Duncan probably knew something about what was going in Adelaides ruling class. At the time victims from orphanages in Adelaide, that were drugged in city locations and raped by the ruling class, were ending up in psych hospitals being electrocuted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well that is interesting, I was not aware such a thing existed in the Australian legal system during a trial.
It's derived from the common law 'right to silence', which means the accused doesn't have to testify in their trial (or indeed answer any questions from the police at any time, other than some about their name and place of residence etc). Obviously the prosecutors didn't have any independent witnesses or other evidence.

what people get confused is you don't have to testify unless your called as a witness. (obviously the prosecution cannot call the defendant as a witness) but we don't have that plead the 5th crap that allows you to avoid answering a question.

if the accused takes the stand they must answer the questions put to them. of course in reality thats a load of rubbish and the defendant answers with that old adage "I don't recall"

https://www.aclu.org/blog/criminal-...ht-police-officers-fired-46-times-my-mentally

For him to be shot at 46 times and hit 14 times by all white policemen, it really raised questions in my mind. How they circled him and assassinated him. One policeman, after he was on the ground, turned him over, handcuffed him, and put his foot on his back.

To have eight people stand in front of one human being and shoot at him 46 times and hit him 14 times

The county prosecutor declined to bring charges against the officers involved, and earlier this year, the Department of Justice also declined to bring charges against them. .

:oops:

http://filmingcops.com/road-rage-cop-opens-fire-in-parking-lot-guns-down-a-father-and-his-son/

Rather than moving on after the traffic dispute, Officer Guzy became enraged and decided to escalate things by pulling out a gun.

That’s when people inside the fitness center heard a series of gunshots coming from the parking lot.

Officer Guzy opened fire on Derek Prindle, shooting him twice and killing him as his dad watched.

Autopsy reports revealed that Derek died from a bullet that ripped through his chest

so those punches to the head while he was sat upon were nothing?

jeezz you guys are rich...
Yeah they looked unnecessary. I'm curious what the lead up to all that was and I couldn't see a wheelchair anywhere ( might have missed it)

Back