Police want to speak to man who smashes speed camera with skateboard

Remove this Banner Ad

In both cases it took at least 5 years for the impact to take affect but they were the 2 single largest drops.
http://www.tac.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/66407/History-of-Road-Fatalities-from-1925.pdf
The end of page 1 and all of page 2 are where the improvements come from
Thanks for that!

I'd hesitate to say it was entirely down to speed cameras, it could be something to do with a critical mass of Airbag/ABS equipped vehicles being registered on the roads also. I doubt the S Class Merc was an everyman car, so it would take a few years for those safety features from the top end of the market to filter into cheaper new cars, and then some time for enough vehicles with those features to be registered in great enough numbers to make an impact.

Certainly it looks like mandatory seatbelts was the first thing to make a significant dent in the road toll per registered vehicle around 1970, and since then the focus on safety with crash testing etc has forced manufacturers to make safer cars.

There is absolutley no doubt that seatbelts and then improvements in cars has reduced the road toll. You cant put a number on it obviously. Booze buses have reduced it since then and so has taking hoons off the roads, impounding cars etc. Who knows, speed cameras and low level speeding may make up a very small % of road deaths, i really dont know how much you can read into the stats we are given. I guess its the question of how much do you value 1 life. if getting 1 speeding ticket makes you drive 10kmmph under for the rest of your life and possibly avoids cleaning up somebody is it worth it? Most would probably say no unless they lose someone due to speeding

Yeah so you are choosing to pay tax to have a better lifestyle. I also choose not to speed to avoid speeding and red light fines. Kinda backs up my whole point. You dont pay GST unless you buy certain items. You dont get speeding fines unless you speed. Both voluntary taxes. People should start taking responsibility for their actions, not blame the government for catching them.

You have undermined your own argument. You made a big deal out of not paying the 'voluntary speeding tax' but now you have professed to paying two other voluntary taxes.

All three taxes are voluntary. They are all designed to raise revenue. But there is an essential difference - income tax and GST are presented honestly, while the speeding tax policy has to be promoted dishonestly as a safety issue.

You have undermined your own argument. You made a big deal out of not paying the 'voluntary speeding tax' but now you have professed to paying two other voluntary taxes.

All three taxes are voluntary. They are all designed to raise revenue. But there is an essential difference - income tax and GST are presented honestly, while the speeding tax policy has to be promoted dishonestly as a safety issue.

The only difference is that i havent complained and sooked about paying GST. If i dont wanna pay the tax i wont...simple - i wont buy it!
I dont go to harvey norman and ask for a TV but refuse to pay the GST. I understand what the conditions are before i walk in the door. Same as i would when i drive 70 in a 60 zone.

In the days where there was no car but just the box, we'd constantly have either a warning sign put out before it or even more likely have it either turned upside down/away from traffic or have some object bought out and put over the flasher or lens. This was part of the reason that vehicles were implemented to begin with.

hopfully blackcat will appreciate the minimalist genius.

Zen for Nazis

i thought mascis got abducted like allenby by aliens and they samsoned his locks and he got back at cctv cameras with his mini caballero
images

see one of those Chaser kids Chris something, he once has some talent as stenographer. what a pity

chris taylor. they call him a comedian. i will pay him some respect and call him a stenographer

did you know the Tapas brahs evo ? they were pretty legendary when i was in primary school. they ripped up prahran and the ramp there and the hill bros at the snakepit kept em in weed and maccas i think

hopfully blackcat will appreciate the minimalist genius.

Zen for Nazis

got a good story on this. i was in hospital in the 90s getting a lower intestine resection. and i had the sbs electronic music program on late. And i was on a shitload of morphine. and i was hallucinating about Geoffrey Robertson Hypotheticals from when i was a baby in the 80s that my parents watched. had not heard Kraftwerk before, and i was on a truckload of the morphines, was a good way to hear it and be get the first take as the way they would have baptised it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hahahaha. you know none of that s**t works, right?

No, I dont. Thats why I said things like "I am skeptical", "I have not read it yet" etc. However the people in question have not paid a number of speeding fines and are not in jail yet. however it would not surprise me if the authorities were not technically allowed to do something but would attempt to revenue raise anyway.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...nistrative-error/story-fni0fit3-1227006799415

No, I dont. Thats why I said things like "I am skeptical", "I have not read it yet" etc. However the people in question have not paid a number of speeding fines and are not in jail yet. however it would not surprise me if the authorities were not technically allowed to do something but would attempt to revenue raise anyway.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...nistrative-error/story-fni0fit3-1227006799415

well I have worked in the industry for more than a decade and I can guarantee you this stuff doesn't work.

Crashes are down since they dropped the limit to 50.

When they dropped the limit, there was a 1 month grace period where you only got warned if you were doing the old limit. Not sure where you got that story from.

This happened well before the federal government threatened withhold funding for state roads if all states didn't drop the road speed to 50.

What do you think would happen if there were speed cameras on every single intersection and road in the country? i reckon it would stop almost everyone from speeding. Maybe that is the way we should go because then nobody would be getting fines and complaining about how sneaky they are and revenue raisers. The road toll would probably drop to double figures as well...Everyone wins!

Would you be happy with that?

Would never happen, the police don't want to stop speeding, they want to be able to catch people speeding and fine them.

Same reason why we have ticket inspectors now instead of conductors. They get more money out of passenger fines than they would out of a higher percentage of passengers buying tickets.

I dont get the hate for speed cameras. Its a voluntary tax. Guess how much ive contributed to the 'revenue raising' in the last 10 years? $0...i dont speed

If they stop 1 innocent victim from being killed by a speeding driver isnt that worthwhile?

Who cares if they are sneaky? There are speed limit signs on every road every 500 metres or so, is it that hard to stay under the limit?
I haven't ever been done by a speed camera in 24yrs of having a licence. My last ticket was 20yrs ago. It still doesn't change the fact that speed cameras are revenue raising pieces of s**t. They are deliberately placed on roads with ridiculously low speed limits 80% of the time to rake in as much revenue as possible.

How many tickets have you got for parking legally? Once again if you follow the road rules you dont get fined. If you are so upset with the road rules the governments set perhaps move to india.

Would you prefer to be driving around in streets like that? Thats what roads look like when there is no punishment for breaking road rules.

What is wrong with roads like that? Everyone takes their time and it is respectful to others. It actually has been proven to be more efficient and less time consuming to pass through intersections.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back