Police want to speak to man who smashes speed camera with skateboard

Remove this Banner Ad

And the road toll won't be impacted all that much until you can get a camera that can detect fatigue, or that the road conditions don't suit the signposted speed limit due to the rain, or picks up seatbelts not being on, or picks up distracted drivers.

There is a camera out there that does pick up all of that though. A police officer.
From what I understand about WA there are 6000 police, 1500 are on the beat and the rest are office jobs. If that was flipped and the police were out and about then the road might become a safer place.
Exactly. Police officers shouldn't be doing the job of a secretary.

My Territory says you are doing 62 when you are really doing 60. 102 is 100, etc.
Did you change the wheels?

I use to work for a business that calibrated speedos for taxis. Its serious s**t, as the speedo and meter have to match. Police oversee it. Car manufacturers deliberately err on the side of caution with their speedos accuracy.

Did you change the wheels?

I use to work for a business that calibrated speedos for taxis. Its serious s**t, as the speedo and meter have to match. Police oversee it. Car manufacturers deliberately err on the side of caution with their speedos accuracy.
No. The speedo says you are doing 62 but you are really doing 60.

You can contest speeding fines under 10 kms and are a decent chance to get off them and rightfully so.

Last edited:
My Territory says you are doing 62 when you are really doing 60. 102 is 100, etc.
Definitely something wrong with it then. Non-standard wheels...bigger diameter.
Every car has an 8-10% error erring on the slower side.
I check all my vehicles with quality gps which has actual speed shown in motion.
60 is 66 on the speedo, 90 is 99, 100 is 110 etc. on our Kluger (toyota), Calais (Holden), Suzuki Swift and Ford Focus.
AS it was on my old 91 Surf (Toyota) and a Falcon ute.

The only car I have ever owned which had an accurate speedo was a VL commodore which was an ex-highway patrol car and then only fora year or so...it was close though.

Definitely something wrong with it then. Non-standard wheels...bigger diameter.
Every car has an 8-10% error erring on the slower side.
I check all my vehicles with quality gps which has actual speed shown in motion.
60 is 66 on the speedo, 90 is 99, 100 is 110 etc. on our Kluger (toyota), Calais (Holden), Suzuki Swift and Ford Focus.
AS it was on my old 91 Surf (Toyota) and a Falcon ute.

The only car I have ever owned which had an accurate speedo was a VL commodore which was an ex-highway patrol car and then only fora year or so...it was close though.
Not for a pre 2006 vehicle though, the standard for those is just plus or minus 10%, so at 100 the speedo could show anywhere from 90 to 110

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back