Political Cartoons Thread (International & National)

Remove this Banner Ad

Pilkington%20Karl%201.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was trying not to offend those who may be wrongly compared to him...
surprise, surprise.
The cartoons appeal to the Liberal sense of "tit for tat" no doubt.
Based on the Liberal adage "you don't have to even vaguely understand something to attempt to copy it."
The Liberal punters will laugh regardless as it gives the impression they have some intellect.

surprise, surprise.
Everyone's being a bit mean on this, so can I have a crack at explaining it to you?

We'll ignore your first cartoon, because as people have already pointed out, that cartoonist has in-jokes people don't get. Why would Heydon agree to go to a CFMEU address? Is the joke that the CFMEU guy is dumb? Or is it suggesting their was a conspiracy, even though we know it was a Liberal event? Dumb.

Your Zanetti cartoons are better to look at in terms of what makes a good cartoon (I swear I'm not viewing this through bias). So people tend to find things witty if there is something unexpected or clever in a cartoon. The 'wit' in your cartoon appears to be that Dyson Heydon normally sits in the judge's seat of the Royal Commission, but in this case a Union character is. So it's a metaphor for control of the Royal Commission, but it's a very literal one. We're still seeing the main chair at the RC, and the punchline is Justice Heydon asking for his seat back, as you'd expect. Even lame Xmas-cracker jokes tend to have a pun or something that tries and generate surprise. But maybe the joke is meant to be the relative sizes of the two? Heydon isn't actually small or weak-looking in real life, so the exaggeration in the cartoon appears to suggest he is feeble and the Union is strong. If someone who was pro-Union posted the cartoon, I think people would assume it was a pro-Union cartoon. So it's confusing and that's not rewarding to the reader trying to use their imagination to get a joke out of it. If Heydon was trying to physically remove the Union guy it'd be funnier, because it's not like real life and we can therefore enjoy imagining the scenario or him failing to do that. But yeah, the cartoon logic is actually saying the Union has the upper-hand no matter what Dyson says.

Your 2nd cartoon makes a better fist of it, because it is creative with the metaphor, removing it from the direct situation people already know. Plus it has two jokes (an ignorant Union guy, and Shorten being beholden to the Unions). I think people on here don't find it funny because they don't want to agree with it. The Chinese FTA racism accusation is a very long bow and something you would be crying about as 'political correctness gone mad' if the political parties were switched. But, anyway, more cartoons like the 2nd Zanetti one, if you can.

It would have also helped the cartoons if the union rep had a badge on his suspender saying 'Union'. The union rep caricature is a bit obscure and its what political cartoonists generally do when an individual isn't obvious.

A play on words. It gets a pass from me.

I am surprised Abbott is releasing terrorists from jail, though. You'd think they'd be happier... :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back