Opinion POLL - AFC 2015 Draft Pick 9 & 13_

Who Crows will take at pick 9 & 13 2015 draft

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I do find Ryan Burton the interesting one out of the likely players to be available at our 2 picks.

Last year we seemed to take the philosophy of looking for the players recovering from injury because they are available at a level they never would be if they hadn't had the injury. Lever has already proven that to be a brilliant philosophy once its proven that they have fully recovered from that injury - a top 3 to 5 player available at 12 I think it was. Gold plated bargain.

Talk has it that Burton would have been a top 5 pick last year when only an under-age player. Without that injury he'd be a top 3 this year in all probability. If he's fully recovered from that injury and we got him at 13 - what a bargain once again.

However there is another aspect to be considered with Burton. Apparently his injury was a major one and was being compared to that sustained in a car accident - exactly what was said about Trent Hentschel - and we know how that ended up.

I'm sure the club has done its due diligence and if he is available at our call then we'll find out. If we pass on him, that in itself will be a loud statement of what we think about his injury and its effect on his future. Conversely, if we snap him up the same applies, but in a positive sense.

C'mon the draft.

We don't need a forward of his size this year, won't even need one next year. We will need one in 4-5 years time when Tex gets closer to 30 though, so we could take Burton and be ultra conservative, send him to the US to see the bloke Tex worked with, send him to Germany to get the cows blood treatment that Cooney received. Build his match fitness up slowly over the course of two years in a way that doesn't put extra load on his knee by trying to get him there in one summer. 4-5 years time when Tex is getting close to his last couple years, Burton is 23 fresh and in his prime to take the key role and let Tex extend his career as the second key.

We don't need a forward of his size this year, won't even need one next year. We will need one in 4-5 years time when Tex gets closer to 30 though, so we could take Burton and be ultra conservative, send him to the US to see the bloke Tex worked with, send him to Germany to get the cows blood treatment that Cooney received. Build his match fitness up slowly over the course of two years in a way that doesn't put extra load on his knee by trying to get him there in one summer. 4-5 years time when Tex is getting close to his last couple years, Burton is 23 fresh and in his prime to take the key role and let Tex extend his career as the second key.

From what I've read Burton's injury is nothing like Tex or Cooney's injuries, the one generally quoted as being similar to is Trent Hentschell who ended up needing multiple surgeries in an attempt to try and resurrect his career.

Of course we could just draft another talented youngster without the big question marks hanging over their head?? This is a 1st round pick we are talking here?

From what I've read Burton's injury is nothing like Tex or Cooney's injuries, the one generally quoted as being similar to is Trent Hentschell who ended up needing multiple surgeries in an attempt to try and resurrect his career.

Of course we could just draft another talented youngster without the big question marks hanging over their head?? This is a 1st round pick we are talking here?
Spot on. Burton has way too much risk. We all remember the player Hentschell was before the injury. He was never even close to that after the knee.
We would be far better off with two strong healthy young fellas at 9 and 13.
I still like Ryan Clarke for our midfielder and am keen on either Kieran Collins or Harry McKay for our tall.

what do you think think if curnow goes through Carlton at 8 and we have choice of H McKay and Milera at 9 knowing Carlton may be interested in burton at 11 but also the 2 aforementioned ?

I'd take Milera 8 days a week in that scenario, but that's only because I don't particularly rate McKay.

Would be so so happy. Elite defense coming right up. Outside half forward wings organised. Elite forward line. Upgrade the midfield next year.
Also agree. Would be really happy with Milera, he looks quite impressive.

As for Collins, while I think there is definitely a decent player inside Hartigan, our key defensive depth isn't looking great. The injury history of Otten and Shaw doesn't instill confidence. Getting Collins would most likely sure up our defence for the next decade, plus we'd be less screwed if Talia/Lever got injured.

I certainly think one more KPD is more important than another forward like McKay or Burton who will take a while to get games behind Walker, Jenkins, Lynch and maybe even McGovern/Dear who we apparently rate highly.

It's interesting that both Cam and Emma have us taking same players at same picks (and bidding on Hipwood). Whether its very strong mail or guesswork or just plain lazy (unlikely).

I do find Emma's write up on Burton as very encouraging. If the leg is OK, he is could end up being a steal but that is a reasonable if.

I voiced my concern with Carlton getting picks 8 and 11 after the trade week because they will have a control of the flow of the draft and who is available to us to pick at either pick. They can be calculated and play games with us and just pick our preferred players at both 8 and 11 and we are left with the "scraps"!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's interesting that both Cam and Emma have us taking same players at same picks (and bidding on Hipwood). Whether its very strong mail or guesswork or just plain lazy (unlikely).

I do find Emma's write up on Burton as very encouraging. If the leg is OK, he is could end up being a steal but that is a reasonable if.

I voiced my concern with Carlton getting picks 8 and 11 after the trade week because they will have a control of the flow of the draft and who is available to us to pick at either pick. They can be calculated and play games with us and just pick our preferred players at both 8 and 11 and we are left with the "scraps"!
I'm worried that burton won't make it to 100 games

Will be a good player but not expecting longevity

What I don't understand about Emma's phantom is why would Essendon bid with their second on Hopper and not their first? Surely if they want him you try with pick 4. More chance for GWS to not match and forces them to pay more, potentially upgrading your later picks. You end up with the same two players regardless.

Stiffy big tick i believe on Burtons leg .......listen to Shifter interview 6:30 into the interview

Seem to be having trouble imbedding interview ......go here https://soundcloud.com/fiveaa

Last edited:

Oh hooray. Finally a common sense comment after your continuous doomsday campaign against Burton. Of course we were always going to make a well researched decision on him. Only now when it looks a good chance we may draft him do u show some sort of support..

I would take the risk of Burton at pick 13

Huge talent..... Top 3 pick if not injured
Yep i am leaning that way myself .......huge upside & Crows won't gamble on his leg ....so if selected they're confident in 100% recovery

Back