POLL: Are you disappointed that we haven't improved our list through trading?

Are you disappointed that we haven't improved our list through trading?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Fine with it this year, they did the right thing with Trengove but it didn't work out.

At some stage we are going to have to bit the bullet however and stop being a developing side, to having a genuine crack with this list.

Jack (26), Lids (28), (Rance 25), Cotch (25), Titch (26), Martin (23), Maric (29), Vickery (24),

That is the core of our side that are all mid 20's and we should really be peaking soon. Wouldn't mind us going after FA's next year once Rance/Martin/Cotch are all signed or else I think we are going to be like Dogs in their recent prelim years as a best case.

Conca, Vlaustin and even Lennon all need to step up next year. Conca and Vlaustin need to become impact players and Lennon just a solid best 22 role.

Happy in the sense those available were not much chop or did not feel a immediate need. I will be rope-able if we use our rookie spots for dead set plodders like Matt Thomas though because we consider him " a big body midfielder".

As to our targeting. I really think the Jack T was inspired in how we went about it. Dan confirmed what we all knew that we have had this in the works for most of this year and that melbourne approached us. We also were professional enough to detect his issue before even his own club.

How about an extra question like, Are you disappointed players arent attracted to our club ? cause it just seems to me we are are stuck in no mans land (there are other clubs in the same boat) its no ones fault . I just think we should be attractive players huge membership base, MCG as a home ground , Punt road as a training facility, finalists the past 2 years. Obviously players/managers think we are a fair bit off the top sides yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not fussed.
Have a look at the players traded ?
Not many there that would get you excited .
Boyd well he's gone because GWS got an offer it could never have refused.
Beams, well I have very good mail that no Victorian Club was going there.
Clarke massive risk even Griffen has a stuffed back.
Pick 12 is a pretty tough chip to bargain with also.
Seriously I don't think people realize that to get involved in a lot of it you have to lose some proper quality.
Clubs see the free agency rule as a much easier way to get players now and consequently clubs are even harder to deal with in trades than ever.
The draft is big for us but I reckon the rookie draft is really important now.
It's been shown many times you can get much better quality there than at the trading table.
Trading is about everyone trying to screw eachother in our game.
Not a bad thing to keep away from unless you can really truly identify a player and then make the appropriate offer which would be a pretty serious player or pick.

Added - I am ambivalent about this - answer which is how I feel.
Me too. It was nice to get excited about Trengove but we dodged a bullet there and I think time will tell us we dodged a few others by steering clear this year. There was almost nothing to get excited about in terms of available players. The only one that I'm remotely interested in now is Petrenko and I hope we at least do our due diligence in him as a potential rookie.

Seems like people want to trade for the sake of trading. We targeted some players and it didn't work out.

Happy to go through the draft and pick up a gun player with pick 12. Next year we will have the opportunity to target someone really good if we need. Who knows this kid we pick up in the draft could be a gun from RD1.

Not a bad thing to keep away from unless you can really truly identify a player and then make the appropriate offer which would be a pretty serious player or pick.

As Rodney says, the other side of this coin is that none of our current players were traded out. I'm pretty happy with that.

I'm also pretty happy we kept pick 12.

IMO, our list has a good core of young players but we are a few years off a real swing at a premiership. We probably need anything up to half a dozen upgrades for a real tilt, and trading in that many players is too expensive. More realistic to develop kids.

Do we want to be Carlton, who don't have a draft pick higher than any side that played finals*?

* Essendon excluded. EDIT and Hawthorn, but really, do back-to-back premiers need a first round pick?

Last edited:
Fine with it this year, they did the right thing with Trengove but it didn't work out.

At some stage we are going to have to bit the bullet however and stop being a developing side, to having a genuine crack with this list.

Jack (26), Lids (28), (Rance 25), Cotch (25), Titch (26), Martin (23), Maric (29), Vickery (24),

That is the core of our side that are all mid 20's and we should really be peaking soon. Wouldn't mind us going after FA's next year once Rance/Martin/Cotch are all signed or else I think we are going to be like Dogs in their recent prelim years as a best case.

Conca, Vlaustin and even Lennon all need to step up next year. Conca and Vlaustin need to become impact players and Lennon just a solid best 22 role.

IMO the problem is reality is setting in for some causing the disappointment.

IMO the fact is going to the draft is not the problem. The problem was not going to the draft early enough in previous years. I know drafts were compromised but apart from a few recycled players RFC should have done the opposite IMO like the Bulldogs trading Lids for Omeara etc..

The strategy was never plausible ever IMO because whatever you pick up in trade gains you get more gain from the draft. Thats the reality. Thats why IMO simply chipping away at trade table is BS unless you have a heap of draft talent already. Note Hawthorn and Collingwood didn't chip away. They traded out players and Bulldogs are trading out players with purpose and a definitive strategy to invest highly in the draft!

Fact is, all things being equal, it is difficult to see how RFC can improve to match the Hawks and Swans and Port for the next few years and then Gold Coast and GWS.

So why is RFC content treading water??? Seriously??

I mean what are some of the older players doing except picking up a pay cheque??? You play to win premierships. I don't get it, players have the opportunity to win elsewhere and RFC get adequately compensated I have no issue them leaving for success and fulfillment reasons!!!

The fact is if it means RFC has to settle for winning a premiership after the Gold Coast and GWS surges so be it!!! I don't care!!! I want a premiership and I do not care who plays for us when we win it. The most important thing is we win it and part of that is setting realistic goals everyone buys in to!!!

I have not bought one strategy yet from the footy dept long term regarding reaching a premiership!! Gotta say everying tracking as expected pretty much!! Don't like saying it but told you so comes to mind!

The fact of the matter is IMO, by the time our list gets strong enough our older talented guys will be too old. Simply because we did not recruit well enough in and around them when we picked them. Look at Collingwood they have got multiple draft picks less than 20 in recent years, likewise Hawthorn got good picks from players to support the Buddy and Roughead picks. Bulldogs have been incredibly bold in recent years to. Probably to bold, I can't see to much point trading Cooney for 37, trading Beams 5 and more is far superior!

Truth is the closer reality is our next premiership captain hopefully is probably Ellis or Vlastuin if not later!

Last edited:
I think the club has been scarred by recent poor trades and was happy to sit back and let it all play out. Would feel a bit better if we traded for a higher pick somehow tho.

I think the club has been scarred by recent poor trades and was happy to sit back and let it all play out. Would feel a bit better if we traded for a higher pick somehow tho.

Why is the club scared of recent poor trades??

Hampson and Chaplin have done what they did before. There were no surprises!

It is not the trades, its the perceived value and the strategy that was the problem.

Can't blame Chaplin or Hampson for their ages, and doing what they did before!

Not going to lie, disappointed we haven't filled our needs for a mid, speedy outside player and a nippy small forward but we move on to the draft next month and then the rookie draft which is when we see what needs have been addressed.
Now to the fixture in 2 weeks and see if we get screwed over and sent to Geelong while other clubs like Carlton, Essendon and the like keep avoiding it like the plague.

Barring anything changes in the next few hours, our list has not improved. It could be a costly mistake come 2015. I hope our young group improves, if not heads will roll and will be staring at another 10 years of rebuilding at punt road..!

Barring anything changes in the next few hours, our list has not improved. It could be a costly mistake come 2015. I hope our young group improves, if not heads will roll and will be staring at another 10 years of rebuilding at punt road..!

But it doesn't have to be that way.

Trade players out wisely when holding value, getting max value and RFC has a great platform to build like the Bulldogs with seriously high draft picks or draftees from clubs like GWS

The problem is, like the Frawley era we love short cuts!

And the players like Newman, looking forlorn after getting beat in the final. Seriously, Newman had the chance to play for a premiership. He could have gone to RFC and asked for a trade closer to his prime. The players have themselves to blame as much as some administrators. I as a supporter, want success, I don't want blind loyalty leading to ground hog day. I want smart players playing for RFC including knowing when to come and knowing when to stay or leave.

When Grigg and Houli came, our stars where young, hope was high, but our strategy and a lack of realistic vision slowed that to a trickle now, so we are no longer as attractive as some others!

Last edited:
But it doesn't have to be that way.

Trade players out wisely when holding value, getting max value and RFC has a great platform to build like the Bulldogs with seriously high draft picks or draftees from clubs like GWS

The problem is, like the Frawley era we love short cuts!

We are running into year 6 with Dimma and our core group is ready to explode now. We must fill in the gaps and have a serious tilt at premiership in the next 2 years or we will fall into another rebuild. That's just my opinion! i hope i am wrong

We are running into year 6 with Dimma and our core group is ready to explode now. We must fill in the gaps and have a serious tilt at premiership in the next 2 years or we will fall into another rebuild. That's just my opinion! i hope i am wrong

Thats it in a nutshell!!!

How is the core group going to explode??? If it was ready to explode why has it not done so already even if in parts????

Serious tilt in next 2 years??? Just can't see that happened at all. Not enough talent. Good luck to someone arguing we can win a premiership in 2 years!! We simply have not got enough overall ability in the list to support our stars that are getting older IMO. That is an unrealistic goal IMO!

What is unrealistic to me is the ability for RFC to accrue sufficient talent within 2 years in recruitment and development to win a premiership in 2 years!! So it is not the existing quality players for me. The timeframe to get new development and talent in is unachievable IMO!! Why is why we should be trading out some to set more realistic long term premiership goals!

Back