Opinion Poll - Who do we select with Pick 10 in the 2014 AFL National Draft?

Who do we select with Pick 10 in the National Draft 2014?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Please select one of the prospects that could be in the draft range for pick 10 at the 2014 AFL National Draft.

If selecting "Other" please let us know the player prospect by replying below.

Last edited:
Please select one of the prospects that could be in the draft range for pick 10 at the 2014 AFL National Draft.
Knowing what Geelong have done in the last few years it would probabliy be someone not on this list

I don't really follow the draftees, so who is the best natural midfielder there? I.e. not a utility/flanker that can eventually become a midfielder, but a bloke that plays near on 100% of his time in the guts.

I want that guy.

I don't really follow the draftees, so who is the best natural midfielder there? I.e. not a utility/flanker that can eventually become a midfielder, but a bloke that plays near on 100% of his time in the guts.

I want that guy.
Mainly midfield players, IMO - Weller, Blakely, Ellis.

Most of the remaining players (except for the KPDs) in this list can rotate through the midfield and can develop into permanent midfielders.

Cat Riot.

There will be a draft comp soon. You'll see everyones selections for every pick when that gets posted by the mods.

Connor Blakey> WA boy and could go later but Wells likes pulling the trigger early.
If Blakely lands at Geelong my trigger might be pulled early too.

#saidtoomuch

Still think a tall defender might be the play.

Cat Riot.

There will be a draft comp soon. You'll see everyones selections for every pick when that gets posted by the mods.
Too modest to tell the lad you won the comp last year VC? :D

The issue with this poll...is not who we will pick with 10 , as to who we would pick if available and what order we have them.

Having Lever in the list one may as well have Petrrica in the list , imo because he will be gone but if he was there along with every other player on that list , the GWS, Melb etc should be shot.
So to really get an idea you have to rate the players in an order and if the player that you have rated as 6 slip thru then you pick him

My guess is
Lever
Laverde
Weller.... may all be gone..

So from that Id pick Durdin..but if all those 4 are there... Lever will be very hard to go past

The issue with this poll...is not who we will pick with 10 , as to who we would pick if available and what order we have them.

Having Lever in the list one may as well have Petrrica in the list , imo because he will be gone but if he was there along with every other player on that list , the GWS, Melb etc should be shot.
So to really get an idea you have to rate the players in an order and if the player that you have rated as 6 slip thru then you pick him

My guess is
Lever
Laverde
Weller.... may all be gone..

So from that Id pick Durdin..but if all those 4 are there... Lever will be very hard to go past
Agreed, but I think only 1 KPD will be selected before pick 10, that being one of Lever or Durdin by GWS. I think the other clubs will select KPFs and midfielders/utility with their choices.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want that guy.
One guy who fits that description is Caleb Daniel. I don't really follow the draft either, but from what I've read, he'll go late because he's 167cm but would be in contention for top 5 if not #1 pick if he were a bit taller.

Hard to know whether Wells would risk a top 10 pick, with blue-chip mids still available, but the "trademark Wells picks" are often players whose skills would see them picked earlier, if not for other issues (injuries, skinfolds, etc.)

Probably unlikely just because of where he's expected to go, we could've gone the 'trade pick 14 for 2 picks in the 20s' route, but I hope we get him somewhere - maybe 47?

My preferences and reasons in order:

1. Goddard

With reference to our need for key defenders, there are various types (rebounding, negating, third talls etc) and I think with Kolo and Taylor being around, we need that strong defender that actually stops his opponent whilst creating forward thrusts. For this reason I have chosen Goddard over Durdin (who looks more of an attacking CHB and less of a stopper).

2. Durdin

Apart from the reasons above, I would still go for Durdin over the mids because of our need for a key defender. Kolo, Taylor and Durdin is very potent and set us up medium and long term.

3. Weller

If we didn't go key defender (apart from thinking how stuffed we would be post Lonergan), I'd go best pure mid (over flankers) and Weller is that. He is not a big strong bodied contested inside mid (if there was one of the caliber of pick 10 my preferences would differ, but there are none in this draft), but he is an outside polished mid. One that would be very damaging that we would want with the ball in their hand, like an outside version of pendlebury.

4. Laverde

After Key defenders and mids, I'd go best medium forward to plug the next hole on our list. What I mean is, not a medium key position player (which I still class Kersten as) but a midfielder who plays forward that makes our forward 50 extremely dangerous - i'm talking players like a young SJ, Chappy or Menzel. We lack this type of player.

5. Pickett

Wouldn't be upset with Pickett for how damaging a motlop + Pickett combo would be. We'd be very dangerous on the outside (and I don't really think Murdoch will ever become this player).

I'd be disappointed if we drafted anyone else to be honest (assuming Petracca, Brayshaw, McCartin, Write, Lever are already taken).

Hi there Cat fans, I've been playing the part of Stephen Wells in the Tiger Board Phantom Draft and landed you Lachie Weller (10), Toby McLean (47) and Jaden McGrath (55). Did I done good?
I think most people would agree Weller would be a great selection, but given the recent de-listings (Hamling and Brown) it may suggest that we may select a KPD with our first pick (i.e. Goddard, Durdin and Lever a possibility).

Whilst we lack depth in the small forward / midfielder stocks, I think if we recruit Blease as a small fwd/midfielder, then I think picks 47, 55 and 60 would involve a medium defender, a medium midfielder, and KPD if not selected with pick 10.

Depending where Oscar McDonald sits in your phantom draft, he is a player that we could select at pick 47 if still available. Also, our recruitment of midfielders/utilities in the recent drafts have tended to be players taller than 184cm.

You pick the best player available…..I hope its Laverde.

He seems to have "time"…and that always appeals to me. Could end up a class player.

Certainly looks the goods.

PS: Don't believe Durdin will be available….

You pick the best player available…..I hope its Laverde.

He seems to have "time"…and that always appeals to me. Could end up a class player.

Certainly looks the goods.

PS: Don't believe Durdin will be available….
Laverde won't be available. Pies will pull the trigger with pick 5

Gone with Goddard on essential need, I think he's got the size and talent to become an elite tall defender who possesses exceptional evasive skills for his size, and is very strong overhead.

I believe Durdin will be gone before P10, but I'm not overly convince he's got the game style we'd like in view of a Lonergan replacement.

I like Laverde and also Lamb, who I think has massive potential given his height and combine endurance results, both have plenty of natural talent.

Laverde won't be available. Pies will pull the trigger with pick 5

True. Though they might go with Weller….maybe he will fall to us if he doesn't end up with the Pies. (GC might like him though!)

Its just a "hope" with Laverde. I'd be happy with Durdin, Laverde, Weller, Pickett or Ahern….surely we can pul one of them.

Wells will probably go with someone we have never heard of!!

True. Though they might go with Weller….maybe he will fall to us if he doesn't end up with the Pies. (GC might like him though!)

Its just a "hope" with Laverde. I'd be happy with Durdin, Laverde, Weller, Pickett or Ahern….surely we can pul one of them.

Wells will probably go with someone we have never heard of!!

Surely not with a P10, odds have got to be heavily against this time. One would hope!

Gone with Goddard on essential need, I think he's got the size and talent to become an elite tall defender who possesses exceptional evasive skills for his size, and is very strong overhead.

I believe Durdin will be gone before P10, but I'm not overly convince he's got the game style we'd like in view of a Lonergan replacement.

I like Laverde and also Lamb, who I think has massive potential given his height and combine endurance results, both have plenty of natural talent.

Had a look at Ahern meto?

I'll be amazed if we take a KPD with 10.
But I still need to look at the top 20.

Will wait 2 weeks.

Had a look at Ahern meto?

No, I will though, I'm to focused on KPD's, give me a day and I'll look at a few, seen Lamb and Laverde, looked at the stats, DeGoey they seem to think doesn't win enough ball.
I'll check'em through, seems like VC is winging it till the final phantoms too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back