Opinion Poll - Who do we select with Pick 10 in the 2014 AFL National Draft?

Who do we select with Pick 10 in the National Draft 2014?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GHS33

Club Legend
Feb 28, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Looks like Durdin is in the lead... I'll go ahead and cross him off the list.

I'm shocked by that. He had an average champs and didn't set the world on fire in the SANFL. People are going crazy about his U18 SANFL GF game but he only had 10 or so disposals, he might've had 47 hit outs but at 196cm he won't ruck in the AFL. He's only average up forward and down back. I strongly believe he'll slide, possibly even to second round.

walker80

Debutant
Feb 8, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
I selected Laverde, but think he'll probably be gone by 10.

Lot of people talking about big bodied midfielders, but not a lot of love for Nakia Cockatoo. Love his highlights package and fair enough it is only a very limited sample size, but the guys big bodied (tick), can get his own footy (tick), and explosive (tick). Might be a risk, but he's really driven and could be a massive reward. Has flown up the draft rankings since the combine, so would not surprise if this was another Wellsie surprise. Would be exciting to watch in the hoops.

Have said it before, but if the club is confident that they have either Danger & / or Scooter locked in for next year, then it is a no brainer and they go Goddard or Durdin. And if we do go tall then I will blindly make the assumption that the boys have signed on the dotted line and are currently checking out properties in Torquay on real-estate.com. Giddy Up!!!

Warsaw Winder

Senior List
Oct 12, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm shocked by that. He had an average champs and didn't set the world on fire in the SANFL. People are going crazy about his U18 SANFL GF game but he only had 10 or so disposals, he might've had 47 hit outs but at 196cm he won't ruck in the AFL. He's only average up forward and down back. I strongly believe he'll slide, possibly even to second round.
Durdins great blessing is his ability to work hard. He's a genuinely aggressive player. He simply wills his influence. Like a black hole, his existence should be best noted for his influence, Not his numbers. That said, I wouldn't pick him. Think gws might go him.

Warsaw Winder

Senior List
Oct 12, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm a big believer of picking best available with the first round pick, especially in the case of the top 10. I hope that if someone like Weller or Ahern is available then we pick them.
Absolutely.
Weller didn't impress me so much, maybe I just need to have another look at him

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Have said it before, but if the club is confident that they have either Danger & / or Scooter locked in for next year, then it is a no brainer and they go Goddard or Durdin. And if we do go tall then I will blindly make the assumption that the boys have signed on the dotted line and are currently checking out properties in Torquay on real-estate.com. Giddy Up!!!

Forget S Selwood (and 50% of your blind assumption ;)).

Already, Gray, Selwood and Melbourne captain Nathan Jones are understood to be in advanced contract talks with their clubs aimed at taking them off the free agency market.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-26/the-next-crop-of-free-agents

He came into the Champs off the back of a serious thumb injury sustained during his pre-season.

He was sidelined for 12 weeks and, being a thumb injury, that had an impact in his marking and spoiling.

I remember reading that of the 12 touches he had in the U18 GF a decent percentage of those touches were score involvements. Also had 9 marks and 7 tackles.

His PF game was also good, 20 touches and 7 clearances.

Durdin goes OK I reckon.

GHS33

Club Legend
Feb 28, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
He came into the Champs off the back of a serious thumb injury sustained during his pre-season.

He was sidelined for 12 weeks and, being a thumb injury, that had an impact in his marking and spoiling.

I remember reading that of the 12 touches he had in the U18 GF a decent percentage of those touches were score involvements. Also had 9 marks and 7 tackles.

His PF game was also good, 20 touches and 7 clearances.

Durdin goes OK I reckon.

What I saw in the Champs was underwhelming, although I wasn't aware he was hampered by injury.

meto

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 3, 2008
south-east
AFL Club
Geelong
What I saw in the Champs was underwhelming, although I wasn't aware he was hampered by injury.

Quite frankly if it was hampering him seriously, I doubt he would've been playing and certainly not full games for the series.
It's possible he just didn't have some great games either, there is other talent out there.

Durdin basically averaged the same figures as Goddard during the champs;

Goddard - 10.2 disposals & 4 marks

Durdin - 10 disposals & 3.3 marks

Don't believe Goddard was under an injury cloud leading up to the Champs either.

And Marchbank actually averaged more disposals than both of them and the same amount of marks as Goddard during the Champs.

But it isn't just about touches, any of those 3 would be good gets, imo, as key defenders.

It's out of Durdin & Lever in my view.
We don't need no more skinny key position players, Brown and Hamling have shown that they pose a risk.

A player who already possesses the size and shape attributes cannot be ignored, which is why Goddard is a no brainer for me, and comes with the talent to boot.

I'll eat my hat if he's available at pick 10 and we pass him up.

If there's one area in which we can be somewhat critical of Wells, it's his drafting of Key position players from the Under 18's. I don't think he'll make the same mistake again.

SugarCoat

Club Legend
Suspended
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
A player who already possesses the size and shape attributes cannot be ignored, which is why Goddard is a no brainer for me, and comes with the talent to boot.

Goddard would have been available at 14 in my view.
You guys wouldn't have moved up if you didn't have someone specific in mind.
Durdin & Lever best fit this and your draft strategy would to be do some transition drafting with your back line.
The fact that Durdin can assist in the ruck would also appeal given the queries on McIntosh and Simpson now, who is on the verge of retirement due to his back.

GHS33

Club Legend
Feb 28, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Durdin basically averaged the same figures as Goddard during the champs;

Goddard - 10.2 disposals & 4 marks

Durdin - 10 disposals & 3.3 marks

Don't believe Goddard was under an injury cloud leading up to the Champs either.

And Marchbank actually averaged more disposals than both of them and the same amount of marks as Goddard during the Champs.

But it isn't just about touches, any of those 3 would be good gets, imo, as key defenders.

Correct, Durdin (FWD/RUC) was thrown around during the champs, as was Goddard (FWD/DEF) which would have affected their stats.

Personally, I wouldn't use pick 10 on either of them. I think there'll be better players available. I'd prefer Jake Lever first and foremost if we're picking a KPD, otherwise best MID available.

Goddard would have been available at 14 in my view.
You guys wouldn't have moved up if you didn't have someone specific in mind.
Durdin & Lever best fit this and your draft strategy would to be do some transition drafting with your back line.
The fact that Durdin can assist in the ruck would also appeal given the queries on McIntosh and Simpson now, who is on the verge of retirement due to his back.
Not necessarily, as Freo are also crying out for key backs.

Lol, the club wouldn't draft Durdin on the basis that he 'may' be able to fulfill a role in the ruck. We have an abundance of those players readily available.

Also, how the hell would you know whether or not Simpson is on the verge of retirement.

We do have someone specific in mind, his name's Goddard.

meto

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 3, 2008
south-east
AFL Club
Geelong
We don't need no more skinny key position players, Brown and Hamling have shown that they pose a risk.

If there's one area in which we can be somewhat critical of Wells, it's his drafting of Key position players from the Under 18's. I don't think he'll make the same mistake again.

I'm with you, surely we don't go down that road again. Goddard is physically superior and displayed great natural skills when thrown into defence, thing is, he'll only get better.
I hope Wells has learnt by his mistakes, the recent decisions to terminate Brown and Hamling should confirm what not to do.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm with you, surely we don't go down that road again. Goddard is physically superior and displayed great natural skills when thrown into defence, thing is, he'll only get better.
I hope Wells has learnt by his mistakes, the recent decisions to terminate Brown and Hamling should confirm what not to do.

Don't see it that way , but I guess we are splitting hairs. 195 and 92 / 197 and 87.... Goddard is slightly shorter and heavier but id not call Sam Durdin light either. I can not recall but I suspect he would be a fair bit heavier than Lonergan or Mackie at the time of their drafting.

I like his game a bit more than Goddard but I guess we will see what the club likes come Nov. Who knows , they may back someone like Walker or Blitz and they grab a mid.

I think we'll go small and grab a mid. Weller, Duggan or Pickett would be likely selections I would have thought. If you look our recruiting strategy in recent times we seem to be largely targeting KP and Ruck types through FA or trading and targeting medium/small types through the draft, at least with our early picks anyway.

meto

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 3, 2008
south-east
AFL Club
Geelong
Don't see it that way , but I guess we are splitting hairs. 195 and 92 / 197 and 87.... Goddard is slightly shorter and heavier but id not call Sam Durdin light either. I can not recall but I suspect he would be a fair bit heavier than Lonergan or Mackie at the time of their drafting.

I like his game a bit more than Goddard but I guess we will see what the club likes come Nov. Who knows , they may back someone like Walker or Blitz and they grab a mid.

Nightmare's currently got him at,...196cms/93kg, .....he was 195cm start of year so all of that plus!.... He's a unit.
Saw him next to McCartin, he's got at least 3-4cms on him. What impressed me was his evasive skills for a guy 6'5", very important if in defence.

Last edited:

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong

Its interesting that on the highlights of Durdin at full stretch he clearly beats Goddard on the sprint but at the Combine, both did the 20m sprint around the 3 second mark. Its a question whether Durdin loses some of that pace when he eventually bulks up.

Oct 5, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Have said it before, but if the club is confident that they have either Danger & / or Scooter locked in for next year, then it is a no brainer and they go Goddard or Durdin.

I remember reading one of your posts in the Danger thread as I sometimes feel as though I may be reading something posted by a player (Josh ;)) and you brought up Danger.
Still am not convinced he'll end up leaving now that Adelaide have begun sewing up some of the issues that plagued them with Sanderson as head coach.
As others in the know have pointed out already, Adelaide's on field success in 2015 will probably end up being the decisive factor into Danger leaving or staying.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Nightmare's currently got him at,...196cms/93kg, .....he was 195cm start of year so all of that plus!.... He's a unit.
Saw him next to McCartin, he's got at least 3-4cms on him. What impressed me was his evasive skills for a guy 6'5", very important if in defence.
195 and around 100 Kgs, left foot as well...maybe that's why Goddard reminds me of Watson at Carlton.

i've gone off Goddard…Turbo…your suggestion that he reminds you of Watson only confirms it :)

Durdin looks better to me…hard to say in highlights, but I noticed in Durdin's reel that he ran away from Goddard who seemed to give up the chase…

I like Laverde Weller and Ahern…is it KP or mid….if its the latter I hope we get one of them.

I liked the look of Nielson as a later pick also…..I guess we just all hold our breath and wait for Wells to speak.

i've gone off Goddard…Turbo…your suggestion that he reminds you of Watson only confirms it :)

Durdin looks better to me…hard to say in highlights, but I noticed in Durdin's reel that he ran away from Goddard who seemed to give up the chase…

I like Laverde Weller and Ahern…is it KP or mid….if its the latter I hope we get one of them.

I liked the look of Nielson as a later pick also…..I guess we just all hold our breath and wait for Wells to speak.
It is nice to see this kid getting some attention.

He was unobtrusive during the Champs but seemed to get the job done and reading further reports from coaches it seems they think he has some improvement left in him.

He is one guy that some clubs might eye off as a back up plan in the event they can't get a "glamour" defender or want to go for a regarded mid.

SugarCoat

Club Legend
Suspended
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think you may be overrating Goddard a little in here.
He had a really poor year and will slide quite a bit.
Lever would have been a Top 3 pick and may still end going to GWS at 4.
Durdin is a superior player than Goddard and his long term prospects are enhanced by having a light body at this stage.
With the addition of Blease, I think it's a given you take a tall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back