Opinion Poll - Who do we select with pick 47 in the 2014 National AFL Draft

Who do we select with pick 47 at the 2014 AFL National Draft?

• Ryan Lim (Def)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Daniel Capiron (Def)

• Taylor Grace (Mid/Def)

• Oleg Markov (Fwd)

• James Rose (Fwd)

• Daniel Nielson (KPD)

• Jordan Cunico (Mid)

• Billy Evans (Mid)

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd like Matt Panos

Personally I'd pick him ahead of Newton. He's only a year older and was probably better than Newton in the SANFL this year without having the luxury of training and developing in an AFL environment. He's also 193cm and 90kg and a clearance machine.

I'd like to see what Panos' athletic testing is like though, he missed the Draft Combine after contracting dengue fever.

Personally I'd pick him ahead of Newton. He's only a year older and was probably better than Newton in the SANFL this year without having the luxury of training and developing in an AFL environment. He's also 193cm and 90kg and a clearance machine.

I'd like to see what Panos' athletic testing is like though, he missed the Draft Combine after contracting dengue fever.

He basically took the SANFL premiership away from Port. He smashed them.

If we don't take a KPD with pick 10, then it is likely we will miss our chance on securing one of Lever, Durdin, Goddard, Marchbank and McDonald.

However, there is another KPD prospect that could be selected late in the draft or as a rookie and he plays as a stopper that can intercept marks and known for doing the one-percenters, his name is Dan Nielson.

Currently he stands at 193cm and 90kgs, and is known for being the general of the backline. His kicking may look a little awkward, but it is generally effective. He may be similar to Kolo in the way he plays and his size, but perhaps with a late growth spurt he may reach the new standard height of a KPD being 195cm+.

Check out the reviews and clip:

http://boundforglorynews.com/2014-draft-profile-dan-nielson/

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-09-16/draft-prospect-daniel-nielson

http://www.frankstonweekly.com.au/s...nges-young-gun-daniel-nielson-has-high-hopes/

If we don't take a KPD with pick 10, then it is likely we will miss our chance on securing one of Lever, Durdin, Goddard, Marchbank and McDonald.

However, there is another KPD prospect that could be selected late in the draft or as a rookie and he plays as a stopper that can intercept marks and known for doing the one-percenters, his name is Dan Nielson.

Currently he stands at 193cm and 90kgs, and is known for being the general of the backline. His kicking may look a little awkward, but it is generally effective. He may be similar to Kolo in the way he plays and his size, but perhaps with a late growth spurt he may reach the new standard height of a KPD being 195cm+.

Check out the reviews and clip:

http://boundforglorynews.com/2014-draft-profile-dan-nielson/

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-09-16/draft-prospect-daniel-nielson

http://www.frankstonweekly.com.au/s...nges-young-gun-daniel-nielson-has-high-hopes/

Has a lot of Nat Fyfe about him.

He's only 179cm, but I think he plays bigger than that. could be a good late pick

That was an awesome mark a la Jamie Elliott. I think they've got McCarthy for that small pocket player role but interesting player who can find the footy.

Would love to see Caleb Daniel in the hoops next year. Hopefully we take him at 47. Am sure most would disagree though considering his height. But reckon his talent will find him a way

Would love to see Caleb Daniel in the hoops next year. Hopefully we take him at 47. Am sure most would disagree though considering his height. But reckon his talent will find him a way

I think contested style of game has reduced the issue of height. There are several shorter type id be happy to see come to the club , Daniel has been described as a top 10 player if he was only a bit taller.
But whether its at 47... if speculation has any merit , we are interested in Newton. He has decided to go to the draft for a reason. I suspect 47 will be used on him

Will have a long and successful AFL career wherever he gets picked up.

I think contested style of game has reduced the issue of height. There are several shorter type id be happy to see come to the club , Daniel has been described as a top 10 player if he was only a bit taller.
But whether its at 47... if speculation has any merit , we are interested in Newton. He has decided to go to the draft for a reason. I suspect 47 will be used on him
I hope not considering that is our second selection and we have 55 and 60 afterwards.

55 is the absolute earliest I'd be considering Newton at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming we go key defender with pick 10 (which we should), the players I'd look at for 47, 55 & 60 are:

Touk Miller

Small inside midfielder ferocious mid in the mould of Kerr or Prestia, good speed and agility and good mark for his size given his long arms. A clearance king with strong leadership (capt of Calder Cannons). Would replace stokes in a few years.

Josh Glenn

Mid/defender who plays like Sam Mitchell (hbf version), very good left foot, strong in the contest and one on one. Would be a very good player behind the ball and at 20, can come into the team sooner rather than later.

Lukas Webb

Medium 186cm utility with one of the best left foot kicks in the draft. Similar to Duncan in that he roams between the arc, has a strong mark, strong in the contest but plays more outside and uses the ball beautifully.

Aiden Anderson

Medium forward who has a rare mix of speed agility and x-factor as well as strength and strong overhead marking. Loves to take on players, great 1-1 and is a genuine 183cm you could play out of the goal square. Is extremely dangerous and plays a lot like Chappy. Most underrated in the draft imo. Since the loss of Chappy, Menzel (and SJ to the midfield) we lack that medium forward that makes our 50m arc dangerous. Aiden is the player we miss and I hope we draft him at 47.

Or.. the best slider (Connor Manadue)

You never know who is going to slide... I think someone like Manadue could slide given his light frame.. we shall see.

To see these players in action (and I strongly urge you check out the above if you've got a spare 15 mins), please see the following link:

http://www.afl.com.au/draft/draft-machine.workstation

Now if we take Blakely with 10....
I would take Jermaine Miller-Lewis from Sth Freo... But have to take him at Pick 47 coz both WA clubs pick b4 our Pick 55

I'm hoping we do take Newton. My understanding though is that he can name his contract $$. I'm assuming, theoretically of course, that we could offer him a front loaded contract for year 1, have him put that number on his head, then this would help to ensure that he was available later than 47 - which we could then use for Caleb Daniel ;) - unless this is draft tampering..
Anyhoo, Daniel gets my vote for pick 47.

I'm hoping we do take Newton. My understanding though is that he can name his contract $$. I'm assuming, theoretically of course, that we could offer him a front loaded contract for year 1, have him put that number on his head, then this would help to ensure that he was available later than 47 - which we could then use for Caleb Daniel ;) - unless this is draft tampering..
Anyhoo, Daniel gets my vote for pick 47.
You're right with everything you say about Newton.

On Caleb Daniel however, there is a strong chance that he wont be taken before 60 if we want him and he'll probably even be available with one of our rookie selections if we want to select him there. FWIW I really like him and if we took him with either 60 or preferably a rookie selection I'd be more than happy but I won't be holding my breath though.

Aiden Anderson

Medium forward who has a rare mix of speed agility and x-factor as well as strength and strong overhead marking. Loves to take on players, great 1-1 and is a genuine 183cm you could play out of the goal square. Is extremely dangerous and plays a lot like Chappy. Most underrated in the draft imo. Since the loss of Chappy, Menzel (and SJ to the midfield) we lack that medium forward that makes our 50m arc dangerous. Aiden is the player we miss and I hope we draft him at 47.

Interesting. I know nothing at all about the prospects this year but I was reading through a few late possibilities and his attributes stood out as the type Wells likes. Out of about twenty he was the one that screamed Wells special.

Medium sized. Tick.
Good Mark for his size. Tick.
Good leap. Tick.
Explosiveness. Tick.
Agility. Tick.

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if we end up with him.

Interesting. I know nothing at all about the prospects this year but I was reading through a few late possibilities and his attributes stood out as the type Wells likes. Out of about twenty he was the one that screamed Wells special.

Medium sized. Tick.
Good Mark for his size. Tick.
Good leap. Tick.
Explosiveness. Tick.
Agility. Tick.

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if we end up with him.

Jordan De Goey is the Wells prototype.

Is Clem Smith any chance to still be around at pick 47?
Unlikely mate. He'll probably go somewhere in the 30's but if he is still there at 47 he'd be great value at that pick.

I remember WA's state coach (can't remember his name) saying on trade radio that on natural talent he would be WA's most talented player in this years draft, which is a pretty big wrap when you consider that Pickett is guaranteed to go in the first round.

Back