Opinion Poll - Who do we select with pick 47 in the 2014 National AFL Draft

Who do we select with pick 47 at the 2014 AFL National Draft?

• Ryan Lim (Def)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Daniel Capiron (Def)

• Taylor Grace (Mid/Def)

• Oleg Markov (Fwd)

• James Rose (Fwd)

• Daniel Nielson (KPD)

• Jordan Cunico (Mid)

• Billy Evans (Mid)

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope not considering that is our second selection and we have 55 and 60 afterwards.

55 is the absolute earliest I'd be considering Newton at.

If we rated him enough to convince him to reject a contract we wont quibble over the difference between 47 and 55.i get where you are coming from though.

After seeing more of the draft videos, my preferences are:

10 - Lever or Goddard
47 - Touk Miller
55 - Glenn or Voijo-Rainbow or Webb
60 - Aiden Anderson

Gives us a key defender, pacey inside clearance mid (who plays like bundy), hbf with good left foot and a dangerous medium forward.

Covers a lot of our holes.

After seeing more of the draft videos, my preferences are:

10 - Lever or Goddard
47 - Touk Miller
55 - Glenn or Voijo-Rainbow or Webb
60 - Aiden Anderson

Gives us a key defender, pacey inside clearance mid (who plays like bundy), hbf with good left foot and a dangerous medium forward.

Covers a lot of our holes.
Lever is a much better prospect than Goddard mate.

Lever is a much better prospect than Goddard mate.

Appreciate that he might have more natural talent.. He is a better rebound/attacking player but more a third tall. Conversely Goddard is better defender and better suited at stopping the no.1 forward, whilst still creating drive. A position we require more.

When you look at our list, our greatest defensive hole is the Lonergan replacement. Taylor has another 4 years, Kolo will probably become the 3rd tall to replace Rivers and then we have doughnuts. Basically, Goddard is probably more valuable to us than what Lever could be because we have the tall rebounding option (Taylor, Kolo or maybe even Blicavs) covered. The addition of Lever would be great, but our big full back hole would remain imo, itd be like Hawthorn when they just had Stratton and Gibson (who are probably more talented than Lonergan, but at the end of the day, without Lonergan we would be fekt).

That is my reasoning behind Goddard, although I'd be happy with either.

Interesting. I know nothing at all about the prospects this year but I was reading through a few late possibilities and his attributes stood out as the type Wells likes. Out of about twenty he was the one that screamed Wells special.

Medium sized. Tick.
Good Mark for his size. Tick.
Good leap. Tick.
Explosiveness. Tick.
Agility. Tick.

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if we end up with him.
I rate Anderson, but out of the small forwards I like Toby McLean or if he slides, Damien Cavka. Both racked-up around 22-23 possessions a game at TAC U18s, and both kicked 1.5 goals a game. McLean (179cm) can take big hangers for his size, but Cavka is a bit bigger (184cm) and offers more versatility to run through the middle, has the ability to shutdown another player, and can play as a half back flanker.

If you want to see a forward player under the radar, check out how Jermaine Miller-Lewis plays his game. Very much like Michael O'Loughlin.

I think Lever might be a better footballer than Goddard too……

Pick 47 is a lottery. no idea. Daniel>?
It is a lottery, but I still think there is some talent at this end of the draft.

The players likely to be at the bottom of the draft pile that seem to do well at the clearances and accumulate possessions and will be useful for the Cats to select include the following in order of my preference - Nick Mellington, Tyler Roos, Nick Dixon.

A versatile forward/midfielder/shutdown player is Damian Cavka, he seems to be the "hamburger with the lot".

[QUOTE="CatRiot, post: 35947929, member: 157350"

A versatile forward/midfielder/shutdown player is Damian Cavka, he seems to be the "hamburger with the lot".[/QUOTE]

Do you also work @ Kermonds..? Not that that (go on Nazis, I dare you) would b a bad thing, as they have the best burgers for hours travel :D

Seriously, wasn't Stokes chosen around this level..? Would not b disappointed with a player of similar ability.

Appreciate that he might have more natural talent.. He is a better rebound/attacking player but more a third tall. Conversely Goddard is better defender and better suited at stopping the no.1 forward, whilst still creating drive. A position we require more.

When you look at our list, our greatest defensive hole is the Lonergan replacement. Taylor has another 4 years, Kolo will probably become the 3rd tall to replace Rivers and then we have doughnuts. Basically, Goddard is probably more valuable to us than what Lever could be because we have the tall rebounding option (Taylor, Kolo or maybe even Blicavs) covered. The addition of Lever would be great, but our big full back hole would remain imo, itd be like Hawthorn when they just had Stratton and Gibson (who are probably more talented than Lonergan, but at the end of the day, without Lonergan we would be fekt).

That is my reasoning behind Goddard, although I'd be happy with either.
Personally I see Kola as our Longergan replacement and I think the club does aswell. He reminds me of him quite a bit actually.

All I'll add to the Lever vs Goddard debate is just because somebody has an outstanding rebound game it doesn't automatically mean that they don't have a strong defensive game aswell. I think you'll find in Lever's case he is a very well rounded player who can defend aswell as any other key back in this years draft.

And the Hawthorn analogy that you use, well they went out and got Lake who also has a strong rebounding game aswell as being able to shut down his opponent (and it's worked quite well) so I'm not sure how that helps your case when arguing against Lever.

Personally I see Kola as our Longergan replacement and I think the club does aswell. He reminds me of him quite a bit actually.

All I'll add to the Lever vs Goddard debate is just because somebody has an outstanding rebound game it doesn't automatically mean that they don't have a strong defensive game aswell. I think you'll find in Lever's case he is a very well rounded player who can defend aswell as any other key back in this years draft.

And the Hawthorn analogy that you use, well they went out and got Lake who also has a strong rebounding game aswell as being able to shut down his opponent (and it's worked quite well) so I'm not sure how that helps your case when arguing against Lever.

Really who knows , Im not sure if we had a young Lonergan on th elist we would look at him and say , he is "the" Lonergan replacement. Kolo has all the tools to be a defensive tall player. Toohey is probably closer in shape and height. Im hoping we take a player with P10 thats another good chance of being a defensive tall for us..whether its Durdin or Marchbank or whoever , only cause its probably our best chance for someone of a Taylor quality in a long time

Really who knows , Im not sure if we had a young Lonergan on th elist we would look at him and say , he is "the" Lonergan replacement. Kolo has all the tools to be a defensive tall player. Toohey is probably closer in shape and height. Im hoping we take a player with P10 thats another good chance of being a defensive tall for us..whether its Durdin or Marchbank or whoever , only cause its probably our best chance for someone of a Taylor quality in a long time
I haven't seen much of Toohey, only a couple of games. Do you think he could become a quality KPD in the mould of Lonergan? He certainly seems to have the size and athleticism.

I'd prefer to see us go small with pick 10 but I can see arguments for both sides. I really think Blitz can fill one of the KPD roles in the future if necessary and getting a classy player like Weller would really round out our midfield nicely I reckon.

If we need to I'd be looking to recruit an experienced KPD from another club once Lonergan retires if our younger prospects don't develop well enough.

I'm not sure that Lever can defend as well as some of the other prospects. From all reports, he plays more like a sam fisher (rebounding attacking defender) and Goddard is the best stopper in this draft (see what Skipposs and KM have said in relation to these players).

I also don't think Kolo is big or strong enough to be the no.1 defender in the lonergan role. He would get killed on the Clokes, Tippetts, etc. He reminds me a lot of Rivers with his intercept marking. Even in his draft year, the 'experts' labelled him a third tall. If he could grow into that no.1 FB, then it'd be a terrific outcome.

In that analogy, Goddard is Lake and Lever is gibson, imo. You could argue Gibson is more talented, better disposal etc but Lake is more important.

Still, Lever would be a terrific get and would be happy with both.

You make some good points even if I don't agree with all of them but that's what makes this forum a good place to visit. :)

Lever most recently measured at 194 against Gibson who surprisingly is only 189 but I do understand what you're saying.

I think Kolo will no doubt start off as a third tall but eventually will be able to play on those monsters that you've brought up, but it will take time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You make some good points even if I don't agree with all of them but that's what makes this forum a good place to visit. :)

Lever most recently measured at 194 against Gibson who surprisingly is only 189 but I do understand what you're saying.

I think Kolo will no doubt start off as a third tall but eventually will be able to play on those monsters that you've brought up, but it will take time.

I think Kolo will be ideal as a third tall, similar to the role Tom Harley played, intercept mark big body who can play shut down up to a point. I don't think the club can put all it's eggs in the one basket with him, knowing his size is very much borderline.

What we have in Lever is one who's much the same in size to Kolo, a better mark possibly, but very similar physically to each other.
Goddard on the other hand, is in the next size group and it does make the difference, as we've seen with Brian Lake and what he's done for the Hawks defence.

I

Last edited:
I think Kolo will be ideal as a third tall, similar to the role Tom Harley played, intercept mark big body who can play shut down up to a point. I don't think the club can put all it's eggs in the one basket with him, knowing his size is very much borderline.

What we have in Lever is one who's much the same in size to Kolo, a better mark possibly, but very similar physically to each other.
Goddard on the other hand, is in the next size group and it does make the difference, as we've seen with Brian Lake and what he's done for the Hawks defence.

Good assessment Meto , what size is Lake? 194/195? just a bit heavier. Be interesting see what he wa drafted at.
The Kolo v Harley is not something id thought about , but its reasonable I suppose. The differenc eto my mind is Harley was a better stronger mark and a shabby kick , at this stage Kolo is a more rounded player but who knows what years in the gym will do. Certainly Lever and Marchank are closer to Taylor , and look like 3rd talls as well.

Good assessment Meto , what size is Lake? 194/195? just a bit heavier. Be interesting see what he wa drafted at.
The Kolo v Harley is not something id thought about , but its reasonable I suppose. The differenc eto my mind is Harley was a better stronger mark and a shabby kick , at this stage Kolo is a more rounded player but who knows what years in the gym will do. Certainly Lever and Marchank are closer to Taylor , and look like 3rd talls as well.

To early to assess Jake's marking, I reckon it'll improve when he eventually plays the 3rd role, just at the moment he's playing on the keys and mainly spoiling with the punch.
Harley's strength at the drop was his asset in marking whereas Jake will gain this over time, but he's a bigger leap than Harley was.

To early to assess Jake's marking, I reckon it'll improve when he eventually plays the 3rd role, just at the moment he's playing on the keys and mainly spoiling with the punch.
Harley's strength at the drop was his asset in marking whereas Jake will gain this over time, but he's a bigger leap than Harley was.

Ceertainly not gun shy , saw him back into pack (Egan like) a couple of times and pay the price. Not underating JK , as you know ive been on his train fro a while , has the potential to be a classier player than Harley imo.

I
Call me crazy but by 2018 I see our defence looking something like this

Bews Kola Taylor

Guthrie Blitz Thurlow

Who knows, maybe someone like Toohey or Walker could become a KPD aswell.

Call me crazy but by 2018 I see our defence looking something like this

Bews Kola Taylor

Guthrie Blitz Thurlow

Who knows, maybe someone like Toohey or Walker could become a KPD aswell.

They seem to have high hopes for Toohey,...... all I know about him is, he is big and was a forward. Must be doing something right ats.

They seem to have high hopes for Toohey,...... all I know about him is, he is big and was a forward. Must be doing something right ats.
Toohey spent time in defence in U18s, also played back pocket a few games in VFL this season. Kolo is much further ahead in terms of development as a defender, the guy looks like he'll be a 200 game player.

Back