Prediction Poll: Will Blakely and/or Weller debut before Round 5

Poll: Will Blakely and/or Weller debut before Round 5

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think we have an elite midfield at all.

Our outside run and distribution is very average - we need another fast, laser boot runner who can cover the ground at an elite level. Danyle Pearce just hasn't hit that level. (Weller fits this mold)
Our inside ball winners can't be relied on to hit a target by foot and none of them are fast. We base our plan on the lumbering giants winning a clean handball to a runner, the obvious flaw in it is that if the opposition tighten up on the outside runner then our clearances are down to the delivery of Barlow, Fyfe and Mundy. As good as Mundy is he hasn't broken from a pack to deliver lace out inside fifty often, it's magic when he does, we need more of that.

We have arguably three of the best twenty forwards in the competition and don't dominate the scoring. (Pav, Walters, Ballantyne)

If our delivery inside fifty was sharpened up we would be better. If the spillage inside fifty wasn't undermanned because our half forwards have to get up the ground to get on the end of a handball then we could crumb more goals from 40-50m out.

Suban, Sheridan, C.Pearce, MDB and Crozier are in front of him for a spot. Who does he replace?

He could replace Mundy in the middle and push him to half back in a Burgoyne/Hodge type role. Probably extremely unlikely but not out of the question come latter half of the season.

But to be honest, I dont think Blakely will be named simply because he lacks the experience as opposed to a C.Pearce, DeBoer or even Sheridan. His time will come though, im sure he will be phased into the team gradually after some great WAFL form instead of being thrown to the lions first up.

He could replace Mundy in the middle and push him to half back in a Burgoyne/Hodge type role. Probably extremely unlikely but not out of the question come latter half of the season.

But to be honest, I dont think Blakely will be named simply because he lacks the experience as opposed to a C.Pearce, DeBoer or even Sheridan. His time will come though, im sure he will be phased into the team gradually after some great WAFL form instead of being thrown to the lions first up.
This. It seems we are not too far away after all.

I have high hopes and have been incredibly impressed with the lad, but I don't want to see him get thrown to the wolves first up, let him smash down the door at Peel for a month and come in ready to tear games apart if he is good enough.

Our midfield has its weaknesses sure, but more to your point, what are you basing your opinion of Blakely on? Did he win a Sandover?

He got 10 pretty rough touches in NAB 3 against the filth, who are rubbish. He got BOG in a Peel game where they were well beaten, with several senior freo players yes but they were in it for touch and not much more.

From what he has shown so far he is ahead of the Ballards etc but not the half a dozen blokes knocking on the door. Unless you have info to the contrary?
Personally, I think it is an exceedingly good effort to get BOG in a losing team.
Outside of our top 3 of 4 midfielders i.e Hill, Fyfe, Mundy, Barlow, the rest of our midfield is either just pretty good or totally inconsistent. There is a lot of room for improvement.

I just don't see RTB giving him a game ahead of the half a dozen fringe 22, that's what my point boils down to. People may want it so, but RTB isn't likely to change anytime soon, so it's a little bit of whimsical fancy really isn't it?

Personally, I think it is an exceedingly good effort to get BOG in a losing team.
Outside of our top 3 of 4 midfielders i.e Hill, Fyfe, Mundy, Barlow, the rest of our midfield is either just pretty good or totally inconsistent. There is a lot of room for improvement.

I agree, I would love to see more depth in the midfield, and I tend to agree, The Clancees and MDBs and D.Pearce's will never be world beaters, and hopefully we can find replacements who can offer more value in the future.

Still don't see Weller or Blakely changing that.
I agree, I would love to see more depth in the midfield, and I tend to agree, The Clancees and MDBs and D.Pearce's will never be world beaters, and hopefully we can find replacements who can offer more value in the future.
Can't see why you would wait for the future. But we will have to agree to disagree on the timing. I haven't done anything all day except nearly flood my laundry so i'll have to leave it at that.:)

The future will come my friend, and it will be magnificent!!

I personally feel we have one more shot at it, with the cattle we have and then if we don't get it done its officially REBUILD 2016. We all know it is coming, but again I really feel that last year was an aberration, we really weren't that far off in the end despite our injury woes and shoddy goal kicking. We murdered Port despite all the hype in the first half of the SF, if we manage to get our best 22 into September I still believe we can do some serious damage.

Then, we farewell our great stalwarts of the shitty years and get on with building a serious team around the knife.

Saying that Heeney is comfortably ahead of Blakely based on a handful of preseason scratchies is silly. He may well be the better player but so far there's been nothing to suggest that's the case.
Absolutely, there is little to judge off. From watching our NAB game I thought Heeney really stood out as winning some clean posessions and was clearly one of their best. Was very composed with his disposal, he just oozed class.

Connor had to work for his possies, and he did really well, I think he split 50/50 CP to UP and his disposal was 91% if I recall correctly.

But my overriding point is I think the lid is off abit with Blakely, what's the harm in giving the kid a run at Peel to really earn his selection, ala Morabito, Sheridan, Crozier?

Maybe I am rating those above him too highly, but I would be very surprised if he played 20 games this year. Rapt, but surprised.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

[QUOTE="Tayl0r, post: 37702959, member: 82330]I don't think we have an elite midfield at all.

Our outside run and distribution is very average - we need another fast, laser boot runner who can cover the ground at an elite level. Danyle Pearce just hasn't hit that level. (Weller fits this mold)
Our inside ball winners can't be relied on to hit a target by foot and none of them are fast. We base our plan on the lumbering giants winning a clean handball to a runner, the obvious flaw in it is that if the opposition tighten up on the outside runner then our clearances are down to the delivery of Barlow, Fyfe and Mundy. As good as Mundy is he hasn't broken from a pack to deliver lace out inside fifty often, it's magic when he does, we need more of that.

We have arguably three of the best twenty forwards in the competition and don't dominate the scoring. (Pav, Walters, Ballantyne)

If our delivery inside fifty was sharpened up we would be better. If the spillage inside fifty wasn't undermanned because our half forwards have to get up the ground to get on the end of a handball then we could crumb more goals from 40-50m out.[/QUOTE]
I think you have a point with our list, team in the past, but by all accounts we have drafted,
altered the gameplan to be less predictable, and run games out better.
A better run with injury also helps, last year the depth to cover player losses was poor, and
was obvious to everyone at the final against Port.

Still don't see Weller or Blakely changing that.
They won't change it by themselves, they might bring different elements in areas that other players struggle (D Pearce, De Boer).

I don't see anyone on the extended bench that deserves a spot in the 22 over Blakely.

They won't change it by themselves, they might bring different elements in areas that other players struggle (D Pearce, De Boer).

I don't see anyone on the extended bench that deserves a spot in the 22 over Blakely.

You don't think Sherro deserves a crack? Played well in the intra-club and the last NAB cup. Ross has talked up Sherro's preseason. He's finally gotten a bit of muscle on his frame and we know he can run out 4 quarters. I think Sherro will more than likely get the nod because of who he'd be replacing (Duffman) while Blakely will have to replace one of our mids (A harder proposition).

In don't see Blakely replacing Shero on a back flack. Defensively he'd be less prepared, and offensively he lacks the same kicking depth and speed over the deck.

Blakely is a prim mover who should be played on ball with the view to getting him kicking more goals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think you need to take the blinkers off then champion. Blakely will only get a gig with injuries, might be this week with a few out, but he is not best 22.

In don't see Blakely replacing Shero on a back flack. Defensively he'd be less prepared, and offensively he lacks the same kicking depth and speed over the deck.

Blakely is a prim mover who should be played on ball with the view to getting him kicking more goals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sheridan is pretty s**t. Has played well twice. Once against the GWS under 18 side 2 year a go and against West Coast in the preseason.

Back