Polls Thread MkII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
2PP's deviate and vary. And after 5 years of Government, the PM is generally lacking in approval and PPM, and are behind by 6+ on 2PP.

The mindblowing figure at the moment is Abbott's approval.

The govt isnt 6 behind, they are 3 points behind. I'm always alert, but not alarmed, by your failure to comprehend basic maths.

It's going to be sweet to see the closing of poll numbers here over the next 17 months as the mining tax begins to bite and people are reminded of Workchoices, ohhh yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

The govt isnt 6 behind, they are 3 points behind. I'm always alert, but not alarmed, by your failure to comprehend basic maths.

:confused:

I said that generally, after 5 years of Government, the PM is usually lacking in approval and PPM, and the Government are behind 6+ on 2PP.

Hence, why the current Government is in a reasonable position, and the figures that should be focussed on as it stands are Abbott's approvals.

What do you disagree with?

Essential Poll

Coalition 54 (-2)
Labor 46 (+2)

Party to best handle economy
Coalition 49 (-2)
Labor 26 (+3)
No difference 20 (-3)
Don't know 10 (+2)

Voter prediction of Australia's economic conditions over next 12 months
Get better 25 (+9)
Get worse 46 (-8)
Stay the same 21 (-1)
Don't know 7 (+3)

Essential Poll

Coalition 54 (-2)
Labor 46 (+2)

Party to best handle economy
Coalition 49 (-2)
Labor 26 (+3)
No difference 20 (-3)
Don't know 10 (+2)

Voter prediction of Australia's economic conditions over next 12 months
Get better 25 (+9)
Get worse 46 (-8)
Stay the same 21 (-1)
Don't know 7 (+3)

Well I think it's safe to say that 57-43 Essential that came out of nowhere was a rogue. 54-46 is in keeping with Essential for the past 12 months, and Newspoll and Galaxy.

:confused:

I said that generally, after 5 years of Government, the PM is usually lacking in approval and PPM, and the Government are behind 6+ on 2PP.

Hence, why the current Government is in a reasonable position, and the figures that should be focussed on as it stands are Abbott's approvals.

What do you disagree with?

It's rare indeed that Opposition Leaders get good approval ratings and certainly not Preferred PM/Premier. There are exceptions like Rudd's extremely presidential campaign, or where the government is utterly terminal (NSW, Qld), but not often.

Abbott being competitive on PPM, bobbing around parity with Gillard, is very good in the scheme of things.

It's rare indeed that Opposition Leaders get good approval ratings and certainly not Preferred PM/Premier. There are exceptions like Rudd's extremely presidential campaign, or where the government is utterly terminal (NSW, Qld), but not often.

Abbott being competitive on PPM, bobbing around parity with Gillard, is very good in the scheme of things.

It wasn't much good for Latham, who was actually in a better position prior to the 2004 election than Abbott currently is.

In the fortnight before the 2004 election campaign began, Latham's Labor held a lead identical to the one Abbott's opposition currently holds - it held a lead of 53-47 on 2PP. PPM was close, with Latham on 43 to Howard's 48. That said, I am pretty sure the two sat on parity on PPM for some time during 2004, and I think Latham very briefly was preferred PM. Two weeks out from that election 'approval' numbers were at parity, with both Latham and Howard at 54% approval on performance.

FWIW, around the time of Howard's back flip on the GST (early-mid 98) his approval rating fell to 32% (worse than Gillard's lowest), and Beazley was the preferred PM. Howard won the election later that year.

PJ Crow's point is solid. The current governments polling numbers are not flash, but they are not inconsistent with past incumbents either, and not as dire as the media make out.

PJ Crow's point is solid. The current governments polling numbers are not flash, but they are not inconsistent with past incumbents either, and not as dire as the media make out.

But in terms of politicians and the ability to come back, Gillard is not fit to tie the bootlaces of Keating or Howard.

She is toxic. And useless.

FWIW, around the time of Howard's back flip on the GST (early-mid 98) his approval rating fell to 32% (worse than Gillard's lowest), and Beazley was the preferred PM. Howard won the election later that year.

Gillard's lowest was 26 in Newspoll. Only beaten by Keating with 23 IIRC.

More bad news for federal labor after the Qld election disaster.

SUPPORT for Labor has fallen to its lowest level since September as the party deals with the fallout from its election drubbing in Queensland on the weekend.

The latest Newspoll survey, conducted exclusively for The Australian, reveals that federal Labor's primary support has dropped three percentage points to 28 per cent in the past fortnight as the Coalition's primary vote climbed four points to 47 per cent.

The Coalition extended its commanding two-party-preferred lead over Labor to 57 to 43 per cent in the fortnight when Julia Gillard successfully passed the mining tax through the Senate.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...-latest-newspoll/story-fn59niix-1226310775971

More bad news for federal labor after the Qld election disaster.

No, no, no. Its not that bad, you just ask the lefties in this thread, once they apply their statistical maniupulation the ALP will be in front!

They know better than professional pollsters.

I do think there may be a question mark over the Newspoll due to the bad-news run of the Queensland election. Let's wait til the next one to see if the trend is sustained.

Problem for Gillard is, the next Newspoll is due on Easter Monday so will be held over. She'll have to live with these numbers for 3 weeks or maybe a month. That gives plenty of time for the "narrative" to build.

It wasn't much good for Latham, who was actually in a better position prior to the 2004 election than Abbott currently is.

In the fortnight before the 2004 election campaign began, Latham's Labor held a lead identical to the one Abbott's opposition currently holds - it held a lead of 53-47 on 2PP. PPM was close, with Latham on 43 to Howard's 48. That said, I am pretty sure the two sat on parity on PPM for some time during 2004, and I think Latham very briefly was preferred PM. Two weeks out from that election 'approval' numbers were at parity, with both Latham and Howard at 54% approval on performance.

The Latham-Howard dynamic was a bit different. Long-standing incumbent temporarily wrong footed by the brash new upstart, before gradually re-asserting himself when it really mattered. IIRC the polls were pretty volatile then, people were giving Latham a look and making up their minds about what they saw.

Gillard OTOH has has been consistently trailing in the polls around 54/55 pretty much since the beginning of 2011. And she has never had the same authority or popularity that enabled Howard to bounce back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do think there may be a question mark over the Newspoll due to the bad-news run of the Queensland election. Let's wait til the next one to see if the trend is sustained.

Problem for Gillard is, the next Newspoll is due on Easter Monday so will be held over. She'll have to live with these numbers for 3 weeks or maybe a month. That gives plenty of time for the "narrative" to build.

This does seem a bit out of the blue. I mean every other poll had improvements for Labor recently and this just reversed all of that. Maybe it is just because of the QLD election, maybe it's an outlier or maybe Abbott's move to call the QLD election a "referendum on the Carbon tax" hit home.

It's strange since Gillard was building up some momentum and has probably had her best month since she saw off Rudd. Is there anything else on the horizon that could destroy her momentum because it looks like this election has made her hit a brick wall.

Is there anything else on the horizon that could destroy her momentum

ipad-art-wide-craig-thomson-420x0.jpg

It's strange since Gillard was building up some momentum and has probably had her best month since she saw off Rudd. Is there anything else on the horizon that could destroy her momentum because it looks like this election has made her hit a brick wall.

Gillard supporters are always claiming that shes building momentum. I think Labor need to have a good hard look at what is holding her back from doing this and I truly think she has a question mark over her on trust. The Rudd leadership challenge instead of becoming a circuit breaker only turned into an ugly mud slinging campaign by Gillard supporters which I think was mistake. She was always going to win I don't know why they did it.

Labor certainly isn't building any momentum. It's stagnant. Gillard can take some positives, but every time she improves, the party drops, and vice versa.

Agree that 57-43 looks like a bit of rogue, with a bit of noise from Queensland, but we'll see.

Labor certainly aren't at the 53-47 territory that they were perhaps hoping to threaten a little while back. The 55-45 overall trend we've had for a year once again continues. Coalition would win in a landslide and remain hot favourites.

Wait till he gets charged....

Oh no doubt if that happens, the proverbial will hit the fan. My impression from what I've read was that it's unlikely to happen for some time yet and probably after the next election. I'm not that knowledgeable about the whole situation though and I'm going off the scraps I've seen.

Gillard supporters are always claiming that shes building momentum. I think Labor need to have a good hard look at what is holding her back from doing this and I truly think she has a question mark over her on trust. The Rudd leadership challenge instead of becoming a circuit breaker only turned into an ugly mud slinging campaign by Gillard supporters which I think was mistake. She was always going to win I don't know why they did it.

I'm not saying she was on a roll but she'd certainly built a little momentum. Rudd gone, private health rebate and mining tax through. Add in Abbott making a couple of silly comments (whitlam death, turning boats around, etc) and getting some long overdue policy criticism on his PPL scheme.

It wasn't much but she'd also got back to 45-47 of the 2PP going by various polls. Then whack this happens.

As for the Rudd tustle I agree it was overly nasty. They needed to explain why he couldn't stay as PM and they did but the personal attacks were too much and probably overshadowed the explanation of why Rudd was knifed which should've been a positive.

I agree though that unless she can build some trust which will be exceedingly difficult she's not going anywhere fast.

Amazing to think we've got a government that only 28% of the populace wants to govern. The baseball bats are ready.

Even Abbott's foot-in-mouth disease (Whitlam comments) isn't enough to get Labor back in the game. The Labor brand is toxic, and the sooner they get into opposition, the sooner they can sort themselves out and provide a decent opposition.

I'm not saying she was on a roll but she'd certainly built a little momentum. Rudd gone, private health rebate and mining tax through. Add in Abbott making a couple of silly comments (whitlam death, turning boats around, etc) and getting some long overdue policy criticism on his PPL scheme.

It wasn't much but she'd also got back to 45-47 of the 2PP going by various polls. Then whack this happens.

Essential has been very consistent in 54/55 TPP to Coalition for a long time now.

Newspoll has been a bit more volatile, but still generally bobbing around the 54/55 mark.

Morgan is regarded as being more friendly to Labor, and has been very consistently bobbing around 51/52 TPP.

Nielsen and Galaxy OTOH had a couple of polls that were way out of whack with this (59-41, 58-42). The "momentum for Gillard" was actually nothing more than these two polls coming back into line with the rest in the last month.

This Newspoll may be a rogue as Essential has come back in to 54-46, but from the other polls it's clear Gillard is treading water at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back