Polo Gill hopes in time to emulate the Sydney soccer rivalry

Remove this Banner Ad

Well im pretty sure 1 or 2 have the maps to show it.
Anyway you do realise that greater doesnt mean the outer fringes only right?

that's exactly what the greater west is: you have the inner west, west, south west, north west and greater west.
there geographic locations not some airy fairy ideal that transcends boarders.

government documents are airy fairy now?

So according to you we should be based in emu plains, richmond or Macarthur?

governemnt documents have been trying to join areas together for ages despite their deference's and lack of connection to each other so yes its pointless.
and its funny you mention those because they at least are traditional "greater" western Sydney locations. if you want to represent lidcombe and straithfield fine drop the greater.

governemnt documents have been trying to join areas together for ages despite their deference's and lack of connection to each other so yes its pointless.
and its funny you mention those because they at least are traditional "greater" western Sydney locations. if you want to represent lidcombe and straithfield fine drop the greater.
So we are back to commonly and government is only correct for certain clubs. Namely all but ours

I was thinking you were a bit quiet in all this location location talk
I promised not to post any more criticisms. Just posted a straight fact, without opinion or criticism, on this occasion. ;)

I must dig out my copy of that great marketing brochure of the AFL's years ago telling us how brilliant the new AFL club was going to be for western Sydney by the way.

It would make for interesting reading now. :)

So we are back to commonly and government is only correct for certain clubs. Namely all but ours

what? the reputation of the SCG being representative of Sydney has nothing to do with with government documents. its been fought over for 100 years across 4 sports now and everyone agrees its Sydney.

I promised not to post any more criticisms. Just posted fact on this occasion. ;)

I must dig out my copy of that great marketing brochure of the AFL's years ago telling us how brilliant the new AFL club was going to be for western Sydney by the way.

It would make for interesting reading now. :)
Meh. As stated manly may have been a slip up. One I'm sure they are now aware of. Probably wont continue once contract is up. But as i said. We have all the juniors lined up. A few seniors as well but i do see some of your point there, all or nothing. But i can also see theirs.
I would take it as a kindness though if you stick to "not supporting all senior clubs in the west" instead of not supporting the west at all which isnt true.

what? the reputation of the SCG being representative of Sydney has nothing to do with with government documents. its been fought over for 100 years across 4 sports now and everyone agrees its Sydney.
Ummm Homebush is also accepted as greater western sydney. Eastern fringe of it but its in there. Just because you shut your eyes and go la la la la doesnt change the fact

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meh. As stated manly may have been a slip up. One I'm sure they are now aware of. Probably wont continue once contract is up. But as i said. We have all the juniors lined up. A few seniors as well but i do see some of your point there, all or nothing. But i can also see theirs.
I would take it as a kindness though if you stick to "not supporting all senior clubs in the west" instead of not supporting the west at all which isnt true.
If they want to market themselves (a) to western Sydney and (b) in the most effective way, they should (in my opinion) -
1. Drop the Manly alliance (for obvious reasons).
2. Drop the Auburn/Macarthur alliances (for reasons already stated by me in this thread) -
3. No alliances with any Sydney senior club until the Giants are fully established. Until then they get serious promoting themselves among the senior football community in the west, in addition to the work they are doing with the juniors.
4. Hold their prestige/marquee events (eg the Kevin Sheedy Medal) in the GWS area. They hold them in the bloody CBD for heaven's sake. That's not supporting western Sydney nor promoting themselves there.

Things that probably should happen but won't:
5. Investigate and actively pursue in the longer term a venue closer to the GWS heartland.
6. Drop the Canberra games

I have other suggestions that I am going to write to the club about, but won't raise here.

By the way, it wouldn't hurt you to learn about the politics behind the Macarthur thing, it is eye opening. On top of that, I don't know if you know this, but the Macarthur Giants Under 19s side turned up to a first semi-final this season with only 15 eligible players, due to over-qualification I believe (ie not due to injury). What an embarrassment. And a real shame for the kids.

I doubt if the Manly thing was a slip up, I would have thought it had to be signed off by the AFL in Melbourne given they all but control the club. I could be wrong of course.

Yes, I come from a senior football viewpoint with all this. But that doesn't detract from my view that the Giants aren't living up to their promises. They could do much more to become a fully entrenched western Sydney club.

But that's kind of the problem, the market has already been penetrated to an extent. Will they all just leave and adopt a Tassie team? Probably not. And the market is so small you'd need everyone on board to make it work. Whereas only a small percentage need to follow GWS to get it up and running really.
I know I was agreeing with you, GWS has way more potential, however they need to start consistently winning, that's pretty much all there is to it, when teams win they get big crowds, when they don't no-one comes, every team goes through this, unfortunately for the smaller Vic teams there it isn't quite as clear cut, but for GWS it's simple, win an you grow, lose an stay the same. An with McLaughlons love for Victoria the chances of a Tassie team being made are nil, it takes away Hawthorns 'ownership' of Launceston. GWS can market all they want, nothing will change till they are consistent winners, an with their list it's not too far off

Not at all. Homebush is classed as west. As such we are probably 1 of a handfull of clubs who actually play where we represent. Swans on the other hand

re the bold - o_O???

Just for the record, Homebush & Homebush Bay (now called the suburbs of Olympic Park & Wentworth Point after the Olympics) are two different suburbs. Furthermore, they're in two different LGA's. Homebush is in Strathfield, Olympic Park/Wentworth Point are in Auburn. Those Auburn suburbs the most eastern suburbs of the entire Western Sydney region.

Not many people have historically lived in the suburb of Homebush Bay (Olympic Park/Wentworth Point) either. It has been a heavy industrial site/toxic dump for its entire Australian civilian existence pre-Olympics and was also where Agent Orange was produced. It's changing now, but I'd hardly think you would call folks living in the new apartments around there, 'Westies'.

The area is a generic site, on the border of sub regions, formerly heavy industry, now the major sports precinct for the WHOLE metropolitan - major stadium, athletics stadium, aquatic centre, tennis centre, showgrounds, etc.....for the WHOLE metropolitan. It's location is ideal because it's in the centre of the entire metropolitan and newly built transport leading into the joint thanks to the Olympics. 99.9% of folks living in Western Sydney however have to travel east to get there.

The options for the club's match-day venue were extremely limited. More could've been done though to build the club's everyday profile and perception as a Western Sydney club. The AFL used the Blacktown issues as an excuse to abandon the region. That was the PR effect and perception. It should really have done everything it could to find a site within the heart of Western Sydney to entrench its association within the Western Sydney region. Instead, it looks like they bailed. Not a great look for a new club trying to form ties with this community.

The Melbourne soccer derby is as big or bigger than the Sydney derby and doesn't have any geographical links.

Hahaha!. The incumbents against a bunch of hipsters who don't want to follow the crowd or might not like navy blue? Don't make me laugh. The Victards contribute 90% of supporters to these games because there is no legitimate ideological reason for the Jamtards, now etihad citeh. It's simply financial for the A-league.

The Sydney derby is very real. It's geographic, socio-economic, and there's feeling between the two sets of 'large' supporter bases.

Just to get back to Polo Gill, the Wanderers and GWS for a moment.

He also said this;
"I think the success of the Wanderers is actually incredibly exciting for the Giants. (It's a) community binding behind one team.
"I think if we can collaborate and partner with the Wanderers ongoing, I think that'd be fantastic."

What advantage would there be for the Wanderers to collaborate with the GWS?
They are competitors.
Play different sports, different seasons, but all after the same finite consumer/corporate spend.

It just reads to me it is an AFL HQ totally confused by the turn of events in Western Sydney and desperately searching for reasons why the area has embraced the WSW, but not to anywhere the same extent the GWS Giants.

Just to get back to Polo Gill, the Wanderers and GWS for a moment.

He also said this;

What advantage would there be for the Wanderers to collaborate with the GWS?
They are competitors.
Play different sports, different seasons, but all after the same finite consumer/corporate spend.

It just reads to me it is an AFL HQ totally confused by the turn of events in Western Sydney and desperately searching for reasons why the area has embraced the WSW, but not to anywhere the same extent the GWS Giants.

I think your a bit of a dill, the area has embraced soccer since post WW2 immigration, it has been the heartland of Australian soccer for 60 + years, do you really think the AFL did not know this, or did you think the AFL thought they would stroll into WS and be the most popular club.

The AFL forecast a generational approach to WS, that is what they are doing, it is indeed a very slow burn, if it at all catches alight.

I think what Gill is saying is, if the community has embraced WSW then perhaps one day it may do the same for GWS, is that such a really stupid thing to say, or is it the CEO doing what he should be doing, talking up his code.

There's just to many holes in your posts to pick on, suffice to say, have a rethink about how you troll

I dont think much could have been done by the afl that would have made a difference.

There's two major things that could have been done right; the name of the team, and the guernsey design.

I think your a bit of a dill, the area has embraced soccer since post WW2 immigration, it has been the heartland of Australian soccer for 60 + years, do you really think the AFL did not know this, or did you think the AFL thought they would stroll into WS and be the most popular club.

The AFL forecast a generational approach to WS, that is what they are doing, it is indeed a very slow burn, if it at all catches alight.

I think what Gill is saying is, if the community has embraced WSW then perhaps one day it may do the same for GWS, is that such a really stupid thing to say, or is it the CEO doing what he should be doing, talking up his code.

There's just to many holes in your posts to pick on, suffice to say, have a rethink about how you troll
Did you even read the post before jumping up and down?

Polo boy wants to partner with the Wanderers to grow aussie rules.
Why would WSW do that?

Do you really think that the AFL has not been blindsided by the success of WSW?
A club formed after GWS.

Also a generational change would surely have concentrated at the base, the youth, get them playing AFL, get the AFL into local state schools, embrace exiting aussie rules clubs in their entirety.
Become involved in the community.
As sherb has made clear GWS can't even be bothered to hold their main club functions in the area.

Finally I've noticed on the HTB you seem to be an individual who prefers less to debate/discuss, but rather one who takes affront when someone takes a view contrary to your own.
It seems the pattern is being followed here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back