Poor AFL Crowds *Worst in 20 years*

Why don't you attend matches

• Total voters

Lachlan Clark

Debutant
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
If you have read any AFL news articles recently, you would have seen that there has been a poor crowd attendance for both round 1 and 2 which is the worst in 20 years. With Saints vs GWS drawing 19,000+ (less than the soccer) and with Melbourne and WCE match 22,000+ and also the big Tigers vs blues game only drawing 67,000 which was expected to draw at least 72,000+. Some say its the un friendly Thursday night match or because of the increased price of reserved seating.

Many people are not welcoming the Thursday night, Sunday night and now Monday night games that are being played.

What do you think of the crowds and the increased price? How can this be improved?

Feb 4, 2001
East Burwood
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
I've missed four Ess games in melb since 1973, my mates look at me as a bit strange. Most people I know struggle to make the commitment each week, kids sport is a big thing. My boy has just started playing and the wife has been told, don't expect me there every week. She accepts this, well trained.

clogged

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Apr 4, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
WTF is this s**t? Which one of those games should have drawn a significantly larger crowd?
Sydney vs Collingwood.

Lowest crowd between those two at that venue ever, and by 6000 people. 10,000 fewer people than last year.

Feb 4, 2001
East Burwood
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
It could probably be viewed as a bit sad to put your football "club" ahead of watching your kid do something he loves.
Lenny,it's in the blood, I'm on the most ridiculous run of consecutive games.Almost a relief when the season ends and I can have a rest. The boy gets it and comes most weeks as well.

Lensen

You've ruined the act, GOB
Feb 23, 2003
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Lenny,it's in the blood, I'm on the most ridiculous run of consecutive games.Almost a relief when the season ends and I can have a rest. The boy gets it and comes most weeks as well.
I don't have kids, so don't really have a frame of reference. I know my old man still likes to talk about my junior footy though that he was a part of, I can only imagine it'll be something that will be a great source of pride for me too.

Different folks, I guess.

Demon13304

Club Legend
Feb 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
I reckon that if round 2 had've been round 1 (but obviously couldn't because no MCG), it would've pulled much bigger crowds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WA/SA clubs are holding up their end of the bargain. Victorian football supporters either need to pull their finger out or acknowledge they're effectively indicating to the AFL that there's too many clubs in Melbourne.

ClokesShankedIt

Club Legend
Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Jul 5, 2011
Near the point post
AFL Club
Collingwood
Fat Andy's problem is that people are starting to wake up to the alternatives. I've gone to a few VFL matches in the past couple of years, and attended the VFL Pies game on Saturday. It's a good game of footy, you're close enough to feel part of the action, there is room to move around, beer and food is reasonably priced, and you aren't adding a wing to Demetriou's villa on Lake Como with this scaled pricing bullshit.

In short, when I go to the VFL I feel like a footy fan who is being catered for instead of a walking wallet. :thumbsu:

Another top option is your local team. It has all the benefits of going to a VFL match but is easy to get to and you can cheer on your suburb. Round one starts on the weekend.

People need to stop accepting the AFL's crap and not attend games until the message is received. Watch your AFL side on the TV and go to one of the alternatives for the live experience.

NarniMagic

Premiership Player
Aug 8, 2010
Geelong
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea
I laughed at the moron on SEN this morning who complained about paying 180 dollars between him and two other family members for next weeks Tigers v Dogs game. Why? Because the tickets he got were front row on level two, and on top of that, he paid for an underground carpark spot. Apparently it was "too expensive" and he won't be attending any more games this year...
Hey here's a thought, how about if you want cheap tickets... BUY THE CHEAP F***ING TICKETS!
Not to mention there were numerous other people complaining about ticket prices being too high.
It's not hard to get cheap tickets. If you want value for money, buy a membership, and sit in general admission, otherwise, if you want better seats, you have to be willing to pay for them.
People don't complain that they were too far away from the stage compared to the guy at the front at a concert, because they understand the concept of better spots, being more expensive.
So basically what I'm getting at, is that anyone using the "too expensive" as an excuse, can P1ss off.

Lachlan Clark

Debutant
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Fat Andy's problem is that people are starting to wake up to the alternatives. I've gone to a few VFL matches in the past couple of years, and attended the VFL Pies game on Saturday. It's a good game of footy, you're close enough to feel part of the action, there is room to move around, beer and food is reasonably priced, and you aren't adding a wing to Demetriou's villa on Lake Como with this scaled pricing bullshit.

In short, when I go to the VFL I feel like a footy fan who is being catered for instead of a walking wallet. :thumbsu:

Another top option is your local team. It has all the benefits of going to a VFL match but is easy to and you can cheer on your suburb. Round one starts on the weekend.

People need to stop accepting the AFL's crap and not attend games until the message is received. Watch your AFL side on the TV and go to one of the alternatives for the live experience.

Great post! Sounds like a good idea. Been to a few VFL games me self and your 100% right.

Lachlan Clark

Debutant
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
I laughed at the moron on SEN this morning who complained about paying 180 dollars between him and two other family members for next weeks Tigers v Dogs game. Why? Because the tickets he got were front row on level two, and on top of that, he paid for an underground carpark spot. Apparently it was "too expensive" and he won't be attending any more games this year...
Hey here's a thought, how about if you want cheap tickets... BUY THE CHEAP F***ING TICKETS!
Not to mention there were numerous other people complaining about ticket prices being too high.
It's not hard to get cheap tickets. If you want value for money, buy a membership, and sit in general admission, otherwise, if you want better seats, you have to be willing to pay for them.
People don't complain that they were too far away from the stage compared to the guy at the front at a concert, because they understand the concept of better spots, being more expensive.
So basically what I'm getting at, is that anyone using the "too expensive" as an excuse, can P1ss off.

The problem is reserved seating price is rising, if someone wants to go with a family even in a cheaper area the price is rising.

Back