Poor service- retail

Remove this Banner Ad

I like Auto teller Machines.... I can't stand bank tellers and their stupid questions and trying to suggest different accounts.

'Do you realise you could deposit this cheque in the ATM?'

"Yes'

'Would you like me to show you?'

'No'.

"Oh wont take long.'

'Thanks but I want to be 100% sure that this cheque goes into the account I want' or in my head 'I don't trust your stupid ATMS to correctly place the money into my ******* account...I prefer YOU, a HUMAN'...ahhhhhh

At the same time, it's always worth being respectful to people working behind tills or on floors. It's not an enjoyable job and one person being decent to you can make a whole shift go from a trip to near suicide to a trip in restoration in faith.

However, most bartenders and bearded twats making coffee and pouring ales can get to ****. Being offended and treated poorly is some kind of badge of authenticity for these places.

Visits to a few places in Freo, I can't help but agree with the bolded.

Apologies for continually venting my problems in this thread but it is a good outlet for me.

Had a guy come up to us at the service desk last night (about 10:45), he had a trolley that was probably a bit under half-full, definitely doable in self-serve or through express. All of our registers were closed, as we do at night. He asks in a very self-righteous tone "Why aren't there any registers open!?"

Explain to him that we can't have someone standing at a register that late at night when there's barely any customers and when most people are just getting one or two things, not doing a whole shop. Walk him over to a big register to put through his items for him, all the while he is complaining that it's unfair on late night shoppers that no lanes are open.

I calmly tell him that if late night shoppers come to the service desk and request a register to be open, we happily oblige. The proof was in the pudding considering I was halfway through scanning his items, then I reiterated why we couldn't waste money by having someone out on a big register, but he didn't quite seem to get it.

Also, ******* idiots, usually Asians, that can't handle their grapes touching their steak or whatever. Had one lady basically kick up a fuss whenever two items were put together in a plastic bag. Every time I went to add something to the bag, she'd shake her head profusely and go "no, no! Different bag, different bag!"

Me:

200942-0364030c-9f59-11e4-b35a-60c8936f3ab6.jpg

Explain to him that we can't have someone standing at a register that late at night when there's barely any customers and when most people are just getting one or two things, not doing a whole shop. Walk him over to a big register to put through his items for him, all the while he is complaining that it's unfair on late night shoppers that no lanes are open.

I calmly tell him that if late night shoppers come to the service desk and request a register to be open, we happily oblige. The proof was in the pudding considering I was halfway through scanning his items, then I reiterated why we couldn't waste money by having someone out on a big register, but he didn't quite seem to get it.

Out of interest, how long has this been in place ? Since self serve registers became a thing ?

I noticed it last week and found it pretty strange (wasn't going to buy anything, I was killing time while waiting for shopping center security to arrive and open the security gates so I could actually LEAVE the area). Then again late night shopping in a supermarket is generally dead so it's no wonder why nobody would work a register.

I won't use self serve registers until EVERY single employee manned register is removed (bar the service desk obviously). I've noticed Big W and K-Mart are heading that way. Surprised Target is still old school and has zero self serve areas.

I generally stand my ground when I have employees trying to wave me away from a register (where there are people with trolley loads in front and behind me) and to use the self serve section instead. The long wait in a regular register queue doesn't annoy me (as it annoys those with trolleys behind me more that I am holding them up, despite only having 3-5 items in my hand at the time. I get enjoyment out of that!). I have given in occasionally but only when I made them scan and put said items in the bags.

Out of interest, how long has this been in place ? Since self serve registers became a thing ?

I noticed it last week and found it pretty strange (wasn't going to buy anything, I was killing time while waiting for shopping center security to arrive and open the security gates so I could actually LEAVE the area). Then again late night shopping in a supermarket is generally dead so it's no wonder why nobody would work a register.

I won't use self serve registers until EVERY single employee manned register is removed (bar the service desk obviously). I've noticed Big W and K-Mart are heading that way. Surprised Target is still old school and has zero self serve areas.

I generally stand my ground when I have employees trying to wave me away from a register (where there are people with trolley loads in front and behind me) and to use the self serve section instead. The long wait in a regular register queue doesn't annoy me (as it annoys those with trolleys behind me more that I am holding them up, despite only having 3-5 items in my hand at the time. I get enjoyment out of that!). I have given in occasionally but only when I made them scan and put said items in the bags.

I both understand your attitude as well as not quite getting it. Do you ask the person you buy your car from to drive it for you? They're getting your money, so they might as well. It's just something you might need to suck up one day, it really isn't that hard, unless you have a trolley worth of stuff, which as I mentioned, can be taken through a big register if you request it yourself. We can't really say no, as far as I know.

Also, no idea how long it has been in place, but it has been since I've been working there. All the money in the registers get counted and sent upstairs, and once a register has no money in it, it can't be used until the morning after. One register is usually left uncounted in case it needs to be used.

I both understand your attitude as well as not quite getting it. Do you ask the person you buy your car from to drive it for you? They're getting your money, so they might as well. It's just something you might need to suck up one day, it really isn't that hard, unless you have a trolley worth of stuff, which as I mentioned, can be taken through a big register if you request it yourself. We can't really say no, as far as I know.

Also, no idea how long it has been in place, but it has been since I've been working there. All the money in the registers get counted and sent upstairs, and once a register has no money in it, it can't be used until the morning after. One register is usually left uncounted in case it needs to be used.

I know it's not hard as I have used it a handful of times (the only real annoying thing is how temperamental they are if you don't "place the items in the bagging area" I'd prefer to pack them how I want and not how/where the machine tells me to).

I'm just not doing something that the staff are employed to do :D.

I know it's not hard as I have used it a handful of times (the only real annoying thing is how temperamental they are if you don't "place the items in the bagging area" I'd prefer to pack them how I want and not how/where the machine tells me to).

I'm just not doing something that the staff are employed to do :D.

We are employed to help people having trouble with the machines though, so we are technically working for you, unless you complete your transaction with no hassles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Xtreme seems like one of the customers that I really don't like serving :p

I hate the ones that make such a god damn big deal out of having to go through a self serve, making in it out like its our fault that they have to go through the self serves and how it's our fault that we are losing jobs, they're usually the ones who have absolutely no clue about how these businesses work.

No jobs at my store have been lost because of Self Serves, the only jobs that have been lost are due to those employees doing incredibly stupid things to get themselves fired.

We are employed to help people having trouble with the machines though, so we are technically working for you, unless you complete your transaction with no hassles.

The trouble with that is there are 8+ machines and only 1-2 employees in the self serve area. You can't help everyone at once :D. Would be a nightmare having every machine going off with "customer assistance required" at the same time.

Xtremeseems like one of the customers that I really don't like serving :p

I hate the ones that make such a god damn big deal out of having to go through a self serve, making in it out like its our fault that they have to go through the self serves and how it's our fault that we are losing jobs, they're usually the ones who have absolutely no clue about how these businesses work.

No jobs at my store have been lost because of Self Serves, the only jobs that have been lost are due to those employees doing incredibly stupid things to get themselves fired.

I am pretty chilled unless I have a pretty crappy customer service experience by someone serving me that clearly doesn't want to be there themselves :D. Those that don't serve with a smile or a just rude when serving etc. The type that deliberately mishandles items, throws change on the counter instead of passing it in your hand etc.

I mentioned a few weeks back about filling out customer complaint forms on company websites, I usually only do that to vent as a last resort (regardless if the company takes note and does something about the said employee or whatnot).

Last edited:
Would be a nightmare having every machine going off with "customer assistance required" at the same time.

Ohhh I ******* is, I promise you that.

Last Christmas, I got called in to replace a shift, turns out that it was a self serve shift. Coming into Christmas we have 2 or 3 people on self serve, but since it was fairly early in the day, we only had 2. Except, we didn't. The other person decided to call in sick with 10 minutes before her shift (Our policy is 4 hours before shift starts, unless it's an emergency, she literally said 'I'm not feeling like working today, I have a bit of cold', she is known for being s**t and not turning up to shifts before, She got absolutely blasted by our Duty Manager who was already under heaps of pressure due to a stuffed delivery), so, I was by myself, I go to help a customer, I find out that the computer had frozen and it needed to be restarted, Lady cracked it, I turn around to put her through another register, all of a sudden about 4 registers all need help at once. Here I am running around like a madman trying to get to them all. It sucked arse big time.

We are only allowed one worker in self service at a time. Called a second person to help me out a few weeks ago and got blasted for it.

Can be pretty stressful when four or five people need help, but you can usually tell the order in which machines stuffed up, and people are generally okay with waiting a little bit.

People wanting their receipt when the machine is out of paper or jammed is the worst.

Also, ******* idiots, usually Asians, that can't handle their grapes touching their steak or whatever. Had one lady basically kick up a fuss whenever two items were put together in a plastic bag. Every time I went to add something to the bag, she'd shake her head profusely and go "no, no! Different bag, different bag!"

Me:

Middle aged Asian women can be a,pain in the arse. They take forever at a checkout trying to get the staff to do things their special way and its like the feeling I get when Pearce runs into an open goal 30 metres out and missing when its the only checkout open and I realise I am behind a lady like this.

Middle aged Asian women can be a,pain in the arse. They take forever at a checkout trying to get the staff to do things their special way and its like the feeling I get when Pearce runs into an open goal 30 metres out and missing when its the only checkout open and I realise I am behind a lady like this.
Yet they have no problem eating dog meat...

I actually find it more annoying as a customer trying to negotiate pallets and cages/trolleys at 7.30 at night, but I don't expect nightfillers to start after 9pm for my convenience. The shop is open 13 hours a day after all.

As I said earlier in the thread, I understand they have a job to do, but when you shop after 7pm at my local Woolies (often the only opportunity I have around work times, unless I want to navigate the terror of every man, woman and child bringing their whole family for a Saturday afternoon out), it's basically just a maze of pallets and cages/trolleys and filling staff, and you genuinely feel like you're inconveniencing them and like you're in the way and shouldn't really be there. I'm not really one to complain about the "experience", but it does make it harder than it should be to just get in and out without fuss.

On that subject, I refuse to use self checkout lanes. Another case of jobs being taken away from us by technology. I always wait in line for as long as I need to until I get served by a checkout chick/dude.

I used to be the same until I found the self checkout was a great way of getting rid of all the unwanted change in my wallet.

Me:

Had one of those people. I just move stuff when they're not looking. They nromally didnt notice.

Me:

Had one of those people. I just move stuff when they're not looking. They nromally didnt notice.

I would assume the reason some customer would do this would because some checkout people can be quite reckless/careless/stupid with their placement of particular items into bags, or what they mix in bags. Can result in certain delicate items getting squashed, broken or damaged.

For example, had a checkout guy the other day literally toss two cartons of eggs into a plastic bags, almost like they were deliberately trying to crack them, without even noticing or caring, and then proceeded to pile everything else I was buying on top. Thankfully none of the eggs were broken.

I went to my local last night with a mate to get a Parma........we decided to get a jug before dinner as they were only $10.......
Here's how the conversation with the snooty nosed barmaid behind the hop went

Me: hi.....well have a jug of draught thanks
Barmaid (pours beer) 10
Pause...........................
Me: 10 what?
Barmaid: 10
Me: 10 cents?........10 magic beans?
Barmaid: 10 dollars
Me: $10 dollars thanks?.............
Barmaid: sorry..........yes $10 thanks.
To her credit, she was plenty nice to us for the rest of the night, but it's disappointing that you have to demand common politeness from someone who works in a job that is customer service orientated.
Has to be frustrating for business owners and Employers

yeah not sure it was her that was the rude one here.

A few tips:

"We'll have xxxxx thanks" sounds demanding and presumptuous. One should say thanks after someone does something for you, I think "please" is the word you were looking for when asking for something. "Can I have" or "may I please have" is also a lot better than "Well have" or "I'll have". Don't get me started on the sarcasm with the magic beans.

In this interaction you come across as someone who maybe revels a little too much in being the 'served' in the server-served interaction. Try a bit of humility and remember it is just as much an opportunity for you to be good mannered as it is for them.

Might sound a bit pedantic, but if you are going to get all sanctimonious about manners probably a good idea to actually learn them.

yeah not sure it was her that was the rude one here.

A few tips:

"We'll have xxxxx thanks" sounds demanding and presumptuous. One should say thanks after someone does something for you, I think "please" is the word you were looking for when asking for something. "Can I have" or 'I'd like" is also a lot better than "Well have" or "I'll have". Don't get me started on the sarcasm with the magic beans.

In this interaction you come across as someone who maybe revels a little too much in being the 'served' in the server-served interaction. Try a bit of humility and remember it is just as much an opportunity for you to be good mannered as it is for them.

Might sound a bit pedantic, but if you are going to get all sanctimonious about manners probably a good idea to actually learn them.
Did not read. Take a breath muppet :$

Remove this Banner Ad

Back