Poor service- retail

Remove this Banner Ad

The lady sounds like a complete mole, but you need to harden up.

A lot worse things will happen to you in life than someone being rude to you at the supermarket.

* off mate, I needed a vent. Of course I know that, it's already happened, but when you get put on the spot as brutally as she did to me, sometimes it can get overwhelming.

Sorry for not reacting the way you would've.

I remember while at uni in Canberra I worked at a newsagent that remained opened late on a Friday and Saturday night to cater for the out-going traffic. We were next to a pub, an Irish one I think. This privileged mole came in, bought a pack of Winfield Grey, ripped open the pack and threw the rubbish on the shop floor. He friend gently said, "what are you doing?" and privileged mole snapped back "It's their job to pick up after me" and stroppily walked out. Her friend was really embarrassed.

Cool story.

Hands down, had my worst experience working in retail today. Gather round kids, it's story time!

Basically, this happened around 2pm, a pretty busy time of a Saturday. I was working in the express lane, when a lady queued up with a big trolley that was over half-full. Considering express is mostly only baskets allowed or small trolleys, we told her that she'd have to go to one of the five big registers that we had open. She then pulled the biggest frown at us, remarking "but there's queues!", as if she doesn't understand the concept of waiting in line. Not wanting to cause a fuss, and because I was basically just standing around looking good, I went out and opened up a register just for her.

It gets worse. She had two loaves of bread amongst her groceries. Usually if you just put one loaf on top of the other in the bag, customers are sweet with that. I did that, and she goes "Look, I know you still live at home with your parents and they do your shopping for you, but us people don't like our bread squished thank you". I felt like telling her that I have actually been out of home for over a year now in a foreign city and I do all of my shopping for myself, but I bit my tongue as I was a bit taken aback by her comment.

Due to my lack of a reply, she stared at me, and goes "Oh my god, how rude can you be?" loud enough that customers on both the registers either side of me could hear. I once again didn't say anything and kept scanning her items, then she goes "you know what, what's your name? Give me your name right now, write it down, and write your store managers name, I want to make a complaint about you". I was incredibly stunned at this point, because I wasn't being rude at all, I was just being really quiet because I was massively retreated in my shell. I wrote it out for her on a bit of paper, but the handwriting wasn't the best because I was shaking a bit (happens when I get confrontational issues). It was still readable. Anyway, my last name is a strange one, and she scoffed at my writing, saying "what kind of name is that?!" That pissed me off a fair bit, having had family under that name fighting in the war.

I told her that our manager wasn't in, but our duty manager was over at the service desk. She turned around to look where I was pointing, saying "where is she!?!?" I asked if she wanted me to take her to her, and she goes "I don't need to be taken anywhere thank you!". She also had two 24 packs of coke, which are on special for $13 with the rewards card at the moment. I scanned the two packs, which came at the normal price of $26 each. She says "you've overcharged me, the sign said $13!" I tell her that it's $13 with a rewards card, and she goes "well maybe you could your job properly and let me know that in advance". Then she tells me that I should quit my job and let someone who actually needs one take my place, and that "she knows I'm just a casual worker on a few hours a week" (I did 11 hours TODAY, and have done 35 this week)

We got to the end of her shop, and she says "you know what, I'm not finished yet. You wait there, I'm going to get a few more things" and off she went. Anyway, the chick in the register booth behind me asked if I was okay, and couldn't believe how much of a bitch she was being. All of the customers that were in earshot were telling me to keep my head up and just keep being quiet and polite instead of biting back. A couple of ladies even went up to the duty manager to tell her how badly I was being treated, and to dismiss any complaints they get about me. That was really nice, plus the two workers that were near me agreed to back me up if the situation goes further.

I was fighting back tears when she returned. I got the transaction finished, and she goes "enjoy your final day here" as she walks off. I got sent on my lunch break just after this, which was lucky as I wasn't in any way capable of continuing serving. Anyway, she went to the service desk and complained to them about me, soon after I got sent there myself to speak to the duty manager. She told me not to stress about anything, I did everything fine, she was just a bitch, and that I won't get in trouble, and she told me to take a bigger break if needed.

Sorry for how long that was, but I needed to get it off my chest. As I said earlier, it was an 11 hour shift, so I've been stewing on this all day since I finished half an hour ago. Can be pretty s**t when you get customers like this, as rare as it is, but gee it made me appreciate how good the people I work with are, and the customers that helped back me up.
Cheer up mate, you've probably reached your retail nadir, and are unlikely to witness that level of f*** wittery again.

Cheer up mate, you've probably reached your retail nadir, and are unlikely to witness that level of f*** wittery again.
I'd like to say you're right but there's a lot of genuine guck heads / absolute bitches out there so if you deal with people regularly law of averages means you're going to have to deal with them from time to time

Hands down, had my worst experience working in retail today. Gather round kids, it's story time!

Basically, this happened around 2pm, a pretty busy time of a Saturday. I was working in the express lane, when a lady queued up with a big trolley that was over half-full. Considering express is mostly only baskets allowed or small trolleys, we told her that she'd have to go to one of the five big registers that we had open. She then pulled the biggest frown at us, remarking "but there's queues!", as if she doesn't understand the concept of waiting in line. Not wanting to cause a fuss, and because I was basically just standing around looking good, I went out and opened up a register just for her.

It gets worse. She had two loaves of bread amongst her groceries. Usually if you just put one loaf on top of the other in the bag, customers are sweet with that. I did that, and she goes "Look, I know you still live at home with your parents and they do your shopping for you, but us people don't like our bread squished thank you". I felt like telling her that I have actually been out of home for over a year now in a foreign city and I do all of my shopping for myself, but I bit my tongue as I was a bit taken aback by her comment.

Due to my lack of a reply, she stared at me, and goes "Oh my god, how rude can you be?" loud enough that customers on both the registers either side of me could hear. I once again didn't say anything and kept scanning her items, then she goes "you know what, what's your name? Give me your name right now, write it down, and write your store managers name, I want to make a complaint about you". I was incredibly stunned at this point, because I wasn't being rude at all, I was just being really quiet because I was massively retreated in my shell. I wrote it out for her on a bit of paper, but the handwriting wasn't the best because I was shaking a bit (happens when I get confrontational issues). It was still readable. Anyway, my last name is a strange one, and she scoffed at my writing, saying "what kind of name is that?!" That pissed me off a fair bit, having had family under that name fighting in the war.

I told her that our manager wasn't in, but our duty manager was over at the service desk. She turned around to look where I was pointing, saying "where is she!?!?" I asked if she wanted me to take her to her, and she goes "I don't need to be taken anywhere thank you!". She also had two 24 packs of coke, which are on special for $13 with the rewards card at the moment. I scanned the two packs, which came at the normal price of $26 each. She says "you've overcharged me, the sign said $13!" I tell her that it's $13 with a rewards card, and she goes "well maybe you could your job properly and let me know that in advance". Then she tells me that I should quit my job and let someone who actually needs one take my place, and that "she knows I'm just a casual worker on a few hours a week" (I did 11 hours TODAY, and have done 35 this week)

We got to the end of her shop, and she says "you know what, I'm not finished yet. You wait there, I'm going to get a few more things" and off she went. Anyway, the chick in the register booth behind me asked if I was okay, and couldn't believe how much of a bitch she was being. All of the customers that were in earshot were telling me to keep my head up and just keep being quiet and polite instead of biting back. A couple of ladies even went up to the duty manager to tell her how badly I was being treated, and to dismiss any complaints they get about me. That was really nice, plus the two workers that were near me agreed to back me up if the situation goes further.

I was fighting back tears when she returned. I got the transaction finished, and she goes "enjoy your final day here" as she walks off. I got sent on my lunch break just after this, which was lucky as I wasn't in any way capable of continuing serving. Anyway, she went to the service desk and complained to them about me, soon after I got sent there myself to speak to the duty manager. She told me not to stress about anything, I did everything fine, she was just a bitch, and that I won't get in trouble, and she told me to take a bigger break if needed.

Sorry for how long that was, but I needed to get it off my chest. As I said earlier, it was an 11 hour shift, so I've been stewing on this all day since I finished half an hour ago. Can be pretty s**t when you get customers like this, as rare as it is, but gee it made me appreciate how good the people I work with are, and the customers that helped back me up.

I always found the best way to deal with that kind of irrational *******tery is to be overly nice to the point where it is obviously a piss take but they can't don't anything or complain because you are being nice they walk away so angry and you can just laugh

So sorry to be reading this. Nobody needs to be putting up with s**t like that at their job. Let alone a youngster who has moved to an unfamiliar city to go to uni and goes to work to support themselves.

I think S2A handled the situation well - I know I wouldn't have been as cool-headed in the same situation....I probably would have abused the **** back and gone a few rounds of a screaming match and then been out of a job. I have had similar situations at jobs in the past, in particular when I was at uni and working where I've fired back (and they seem so shocked when you do) and the f***er has dobbed me in, though nothing happened about it.

The duty manager should have had a word with her though about her behaviour towards an employee. "The customer is always right" is a crock of s**t.

But in the end you handled it well and keep your job, even though she deserved a good kick up the c***.

Used to like old people until recently when I was transferred to an area with a high population of retirees.
Sick to death of seeing old men wearing sandals with their shorts pulled up around their armpits.
A lot of them have a grudge against the world because they're getting old and they have the worst attitudes.
One that took the cake yesterday, an old lady comes in, says that she's been locked out of her internet banking because of "some silly password thing". My staff member asked her if she had incorrectly entered her password 3 times (you get locked out after 3 wrong attempts) and she said "of course not, don't be ridiculous".
Also this gem "this has caused me an enormous amount of distress and I'm not happy with the bank".
Well my staff member proceeded to make the necessary call to find out whether the lady was suspended, our online banking team had no details of her and no record of this lady being suspended etc. The old lady said "this is rubbish, you idiots don't know what you're doing" My staff member was very patient and calm despite this lady becoming quite agitated. My staff member decided that she would open internet banking and get the lady to attempt to log in while she was there so that she could see exactly what the lady was talking about, as she was making no sense and nothing at this point was corresponding with her story.
My staff opened internet banking, turned the screen and keyboard around so that the lady could access them from her side of the desk. Well, the lady commented to her, "why have you gone and changed the colours, can't you stupid people do anything right?"
I could hear everything from my office and am very defensive of my staff but my staff member just glanced across at me and smiled and winked as if to say it's okay. When she asked what colours it was before the lady said "you should know, it was gold and black. Don't you even know what you're own Internet banking looks like?"
My staff member, realising which bank it was, opened their internet banking page and showed her. She said that was it, "now fix my password I've already wasted enough time in here".
When told that it was another bank she then said "well you ring them up and fix it for me, you're all the same". When told that we couldn't do this as they wouldn't provided secure information to a third party who wasn't the account holder, let alone a different bank, she got up and said "well you've been no help, where is the other bank you think this is?" My staff member said its about 100m down the road. She then replied, "I won't be coming here again, I'll bet they can fix this for me". My staff member handled herself well, gave a pleasant farewell. We had a bit of a laugh about it, this was at 4:55pm. We are the only bank in our suburb open until 5:00pm, all others shut at 4:00pm.
Funniest part was about 20 minutes later as we were cashing up and securing the vaults, we could see on the internal security camera vision of our front entrance with the old lady standing outside peering into our bank up against the glass. We were in the back of house and not in the central banking chamber so she couldn't see us either. Sadly, all of this happened while she had , what we assumed, was her young granddaughter in tow. Disturbing that people cannot manage themselves to have just the smallest amount of courtesy in public.
Most old and retired people are the among the rudest, self-entitled, disgusting sacks of s**t that society has to offer. All a lot of them seem to do is go between medical appointments that they largely don't need, clog up the health system, then to lunch or dinner or both. They think just because they're old they can treat everybody as they please yet demand respect back, get priority with everything, s**t themselves, piss themselves, stink, tell bad jokes, look down their nose at people and display levels of greed unheard of. Being old is no excuse for the failure to display some basic decorum and manners. Always laugh that whenever an old person drives through a shop window or a house, it often gets laughed off "oh, he's old" and let off the hook, despite almost killing people and causing thousands in damage, yet if it were anyone under 60 doing it they'd be scorned and punished to the shithouse. People are living too damn long.

His burgers...please say his burgers....

No never his food. I had the worst work ethic when I was a kid (was fired from 5 jobs by the time I turned 18) so I used just to love playing pranks and doing dumb crap. Guys I worked with used to rub their bare ass and arsehole over the doorknob of the boss' office, pick their ass and touch the fries, fart on the burgers before cooking them. This was very early 90s when you could almost do what you want in those places, now I'm sure there's way more supervision for late shifts.

Worst story I heard was apparently some guy at another outlet used to take the burgers into the staff toilet and beat off and blow loads on them before taking them back to the grill. Even a scumbag like me couldn't do that - that's a whole other level (even though it's hilarious).

You showed amazing restraint and should be commended for keeping your cool. I had a similar situation 20+ years ago when some toad of a woman kept goading me when I was scanning her groceries and I finally unloaded on her after I bit my lip before I called her a fat obnoxious a-hole C-word. Naturally, I was fired, but it was worth it at the time. In retrospect though, it was stupid because my biting back was giving her what she wanted (psychologically). If anything, bad retail experiences teach you how to be more polite to people after a while.

:rolleyes: back at you.

I spent 6 years working in a supermarket as a high school/uni student.

People are dicks to you. Sometimes completely irrationally so. It pisses you off, you calm down and get on with it.
I'd argue as an employee you have a right not to put up with that vitriolic crap, and that your employer has an obligation to try not to expose you to it. You'll never stop it, but there's no excuse for that sort of behaviour from anybody

(Log in to remove this ad.)

**** off mate, I needed a vent. Of course I know that, it's already happened, but when you get put on the spot as brutally as she did to me, sometimes it can get overwhelming.

Sorry for not reacting the way you would've.

Some people aren't blessed with a sense of self awareness, that's why they carry on like that in public seemingly not caring about who sees them.
You did the right thing by staying silent.
What really angers me, is the lack of intervention by other customers to tell this pig to pull her head in. I've done this before, at considerable expense to my personal safety (told a bogan bloke to shut his mouth after he was swearing at a young girl in the paint shop at Bunnings, also told him to not bother taking it any further in the carpark afterwards if he was intending to as I'd have no hesitation in feeding him the bottle of Round Up I had in my basket, nothing happened).
I have depression, which is a battle in itself, but one thing it allows me to do in situations like this is one of two things. Either retreat into my shell and stay silent, or fire up back at them, putting up with absolutely no s**t.
These days, I put up with no s**t at all. Being the boss helps as I can make decisions based on my own opinions. I have no hesitation kicking people out of my business, banning them for inappropriate behaviour and in some cases threatening them with police intervention. 1 incident happened a few weeks ago when a customer wanted to trams money from Australia to Romania via what we call an international telegraphic transfer. This middle aged flog fired up at one of my tellers' advising her he won't be paying the $30 transfer fee. She advised him he didn't have to if he wanted to do it via his own internet banking. His response "can't be bothered with that s**t, you'll do it for me for free". She politely advised the customer that she would speak to the manager, me, to which I'd overheard some of the conversation and was already annoyed with his escalating arrogance. I checked his account, low value customer (* all in his account, obviously banks somewhere else but just wanting to be a jerk at somewhere other than his usual bank). I came over, also advised that it was free for him to do himself on his internet banking but otherwise it would be $30 if done in branch. "No other banks charge this!",Brought up the other big 4 banks transfer fees, of which 2 were higher. He began to raise his voice again at me, swore and said "you run a s**t business and you're a s**t manager". At this point I toed the company line "sir I'd like you to leave now as you've used insulting and threatening language". Fuel on the fire to this clown. Started carrying on again with more language, I let rip with "if you don't leave now I'll come around and escort you out of the branch". His reply was "try that and see what happens".
I left the counter, walked down the hallway (this is back of house) and came out through the security door to see this jackass had higtailed it outside. I went to the front door, reminded him that he was no longer welcome in my branch. He told me "you wouldn't be so tough if you stepped foot outside that door". I took 2 steps out into the street and just laughed at him. His response, "I used to buy and sell pieces of s**t like you before breakfast years ago" while standing over the road. I was very tempted to use the Happy Gilmore line "you used to buy pieces of s**t...." But I already assumed he was going to fire in a complaint via our telephone banking.
No complaint was made, I didn't give a s**t if it was anyway.
That's one of the problems with having depression, you have a fight or flight mentality and most of the time it's the former and you find yourself being unable to be intimidated by anyone because you don't really care what happens to you.
Again, similar to your situation, no customers felt the need to intervene to get this guy to pull his head in but they all had a good old rant about him when it was over.

If I was a customer behind the feral **** in the check-out line watching it all happen, I'd have probably intervened and made her feel an inch tall. It's disappointing nobody did this. But you see it a lot in society - people seem more concerned for their own safety. Whenever someone is helplessly getting the s**t beaten out of them people think twice about intervening.

This woman would have been best sorted out if another customer had intervened so she couldn't cry to the manager.

Last edited:
He told me "you wouldn't be so tough if you stepped foot outside that door". I took 2 steps out into the street and just laughed at him. His response, "I used to buy and sell pieces of s**t like you before breakfast years ago" while standing over the road. I was very tempted to use the Happy Gilmore line "you used to buy pieces of s**t...." But I already assumed he was going to fire in a complaint via our telephone banking.

Before I even finished reading this part I was thinking 'God, I hope he ended saying 'You buy and sell pieces of s**t for breakfast?'

Awesome story. Hope that shitbag got swindled by some Romanian pyramid scheme.

I've been told by a few of my co-workers that one of the best experiences you can ever have as a retail worker is seeing a rude customer getting belted by another customer who got sick of being stuck behind them.

This is another reason why I'd never work on a register and am happy just being a general retail floor worker. On one hand we're expected to assist customers with their inquiries but one manager tells us to send them to another department for other workers to deal with so we can get on and do the job we're supposed to do.

If a customer wanted to have a go at me I might not be able to restrain myself from firing back. The closest incident (mentioned here a while back) was when a woman who was with her partner said I was rude for not assisting her with what they were after. I just ignored her whinging and went on with the job I was supposed to do (gradually moving a few aisles away so she couldn't come back to me and whinge more).

If a customer is after something I'll gladly show them what I know we've got, but if they are after more I usually just say other stores would have a bigger selection you're welcome to look there too.

As a customer I havn't berated a worker as they're serving me, if I am unimpressed with them I'll let them know at the very end. And as previously mentioned I have done the customer feedback forms both in store and online :D.

I've been told by a few of my co-workers that one of the best experiences you can ever have as a retail worker is seeing a rude customer getting belted by another customer who got sick of being stuck behind them.
Pretty much the perfect result really. a-hole gets what they deserve, employee is blameless because they didn't do anything and the store can wash their hands of it as well

Ignoring is probably the best way to give c***s the shits. Because then if they go and complain to the manager and the manager calls you up to ask what you said, you can only tell the truth and say you didn't say anything...which actually is the truth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back