Poor service- retail

Remove this Banner Ad

So I have no idea why but my store's sound department has both the Frozen movie playing on a tv and the frozen soundtrack blasting on a stereo at the same time. I used to like Let it go (don't shoot me it's nice!) but over and over and over again for hours is a bi too much. I pine for the days when they were playing Taylor Swift nonstop :hearts:.

So I have no idea why but my store's sound department has both the Frozen movie playing on a tv and the frozen soundtrack blasting on a stereo at the same time. I used to like Let it go (don't shoot me it's nice!) but over and over and over again for hours is a bi too much. I pine for the days when they were playing Taylor Swift nonstop :hearts:.

lol you're odd

not in a bad way

I've worked in customer complaints before, and honestly some of the petty s**t people will complain about is unbelievable.

Literally don't think I've ever complained about anything before. I don't understand how people find the time. It's ridiculous.

Over like $.40 cents or trying to get someone in trouble. I hate it. Maybe that persons had a bad day?

Petty campaigners

Do you mean as in formal complaints? Because if I've got something and I'm overcharged, I will tell someone. E.g. at Woolworths with the self-serve, sometimes fruit/veg specials aren't 'incorporated' into the system or something. I see no problem with telling the person on duty that it's not right - of course it's not their fault and I just politely say excuse me but I believe this was advertised as ***, can I just quickly get that checked please.
I don't care if it's only 40 cents, I have no problem in paying the advertised price.
Of course though, if you're saying you get a formal complaint about that sort of stuff, then that's ridiculous. Staff are there to help and correct things, but they aren't getting paid to get abused.

But then again I'll tell people when I'm undercharged too - getting a pizza from Dominos (I was hungry ok...) last night, I got charged the before 9pm price, when it was 9.45. I just said "oh I thought it was $6.95", and the guy just said "oh yeah sorry didn't realise the time, sorry about that". He seemed genuine, didn't want him to get hassled by a manager later etc.

And I never complain about fast-food. I've worked at one before - it's pretty soul-destroying. I can understand getting a complete order or if you specifically requested something and paid for it (i.e. double meat or bacon) but I have no special orders and usually keep my orders simple when Ido get takeout.

Actually, contrary to the thread, I do have a good customer service story. Was 2-3 years ago, went to Hungry Jacks. Meal took forever, was 10+ minutes and there was just the 2 cars in the drivethru. I thought about going in to check I hadn't been forgotten about, but didn't want to leave my car in the waiting bay. About 30 seconds later, got my meal brought out to me, with an extra burger and coke to make up for my wait. * yeah thank you very much. I don't think I've ever seen service like that for when the customer is a prick - usually it's just the standard manager "sorry, we'll fix that up for you" with no urgency.

Early in this thread I see a lot of retail workers complaining they can't win because some people want servants for service, others want to be left alone.

Always approach.

The people who are genuinely happy to shop themselves will not complain. 90% will say I'm right thanks with a smile and won't be bothered by your approach.

But there's a small group of monsters (usually soccer mums) who expect you to betheir personal servant and they are the ones who will turn your day into a nightmare because you, the casual weekend employee, are not able to wave a wand and give them a castle...

Do you mean as in formal complaints? Because if I've got something and I'm overcharged, I will tell someone. E.g. at Woolworths with the self-serve, sometimes fruit/veg specials aren't 'incorporated' into the system or something. I see no problem with telling the person on duty that it's not right - of course it's not their fault and I just politely say excuse me but I believe this was advertised as ***, can I just quickly get that checked please.
I don't care if it's only 40 cents, I have no problem in paying the advertised price.
Of course though, if you're saying you get a formal complaint about that sort of stuff, then that's ridiculous. Staff are there to help and correct things, but they aren't getting paid to get abused.

Yeah, formal complaints - like a complaints department.

I'm known for high standards of customer service but it doesn't suit business these days where businesses are more interested in dollars and statistics than keeping customers happy.

For example I know having worked in call centres before that call centres are paid on the average handling time of calls, not resolving issues and customer satisfaction. If you get a long call and try and solve it first time, you get lambasted by management for a higher AHT. Hence you'll get hung up on at worst, hand balled off to someone else only to be hand balled off again. Hence I refuse to work in call centres dealing with upset clients because they get so screwed round by the stats attitude, not problem solving attitude. It's not the consultants fault but the client and call centres fault. Retail isn't much better.

Sales is no better in many places; flog stuff to people that they don't want or need or are suited to in order to hit your targets.

Yeah I've never understand how a person can have such a miserable life that they can be bothered wasting their own time writing a complaint. Just don't shop there ever again.

It makes me feel better, after I have complained (and potentially ruined the retail workers day by getting them spoken to) I can then never shop there again.

If people are going to be grumps while on the job (retail is not pleasant I know, but it's better than not having one) they may as well get out of there and let the company employ someone that is upbeat and happy to be working in the job. Retail workers (I am one too) need to smarten up their act, the customer should always come first. Unhappy customers = fewer sales. You get nowhere being a bear with a sore head.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If people are going to be grumps while on the job (retail is not pleasant I know, but it's better than not having one) they may as well get out of there and let the company employ someone that is upbeat and happy to be working in the job. Retail workers (I am one too) need to smarten up their act, the customer should always come first. Unhappy customers = fewer sales. You get nowhere being a bear with a sore head.

All well and good unless you have a boss that is constantly asking "why isn't this done? Why isn't that done?"etc. It isn't done because customers need help ffs

All well and good unless you have a boss that is constantly asking "why isn't this done? Why isn't that done?"etc. It isn't done because customers need help ffs

This is true, where I work they have recently changed strategies and are now doing a customer comes first philosophy. Even if you are doing a different role that's not customer service based you have to say hello to anyone you walk past. Which is amusing as any of the main jobs you are assigned to do won't get done because of having to speak to every customer you meet. I myself could spend anywhere from 30-60 minutes dealing with customers, when I'm not supposed to. Thus that is 30-60 minutes wasted out of my shift where the main jobs are supposed to be done.

You've never had a rough day at work?

Get real.

You've never had a rough day at work?

Get real.

At the retail job ALL of the time, the key thing is to not show it to the customer :D.

Also in my experience as a customer, if the retail worker is unhappy to be there EARLY in the morning I would hate to think what they are like when serving or dealing with people towards the end of the day. No need to be like a bear with a sore head to the person that's buying a product from the store they work at. Without customers - the company goes out of business meaning they are out of a job.

CS simply cuts both ways but it sure is a raffle to the experience for either side...

Beware the caravaner... these people are hands down the worst concentrated demographic in the retail industry...

For all the customer knows, the worker's relative (parent or partner) might have just been diagnosed with cancer. That's gonna mess with them a fair bit in the weeks following. A complaint form is rather petty and if the worker was being genuinely rude, talk to the manager face to face.

Last edited:
For all the customer knows, the worker's relative (parent or partner) might have just been diagnosed with cancer. That's gonna mess with them a fair bit in the weeks prior. A complaint form is rather petty and if the worker was being genuinely rude, talk to the manager face to face.
Yep always found it somewhat ironic that customers will wait till they leave a store and sit behind a keyboard before they complain.
Reckon its the same with restauarant reviewers. If you really want to improve the level of service, then let the manager know whilst you are there

Remove this Banner Ad

Back