Universal Love Port Adelaide 2015 Bushfire Appeal and Intra-Club Match

Remove this Banner Ad

It's all relative isn't it.

When the endless CHF debates wax and wane, you still get people who bristle when I say Dermott Brereton (186cms) would be a rich man's Aaron Hamill today, whereas the likes of Tredders (194cms) would've been an elite power forward in any era.

Back in 1880, a key forward would have stood 4'10", while a good ruckman would have just touched 5'. Global warming

In my 2014 goalkickers thread I predicted Ollie would kick 20 goals up from 8 in 2013 because I thought he would have breaks up forward rather than the bench with the rotations cap. He bloody handlballed to many away to team mates. I have predicted 20 for 2015 in my 2015 goal kickers thread as I heard him talk about before the Christmas break he was training with the forwards. Ollie on a long lead from the goal square would make even Glen Archer think about backing back into his path.

Back in 1880, a key forward would have stood 4'10", while a good ruckman would have just touched 5'. Global warming
Cbris Judd is taller than John Nicholls. Ollie is taller and heavier than Dermie was.

Cbris Judd is taller than John Nicholls. Ollie is taller and heavier than Dermie was.

Paul Stewart is taller than Lockett, Dunstall and Hodges.

Angus Monfries is the same height as Gareth Ablett Senior.

Jake Neade is 7cm taller than Tony Liberatore.

Klomp was strong and quick. Plus he was a Dutchman at Sturt. Can you even imagine the Arrogance Quotient? There's no way he could think he could ever be beaten. :p

(That one is in memory of Toots. He'd get it. ;))

I thought they were all bloody Germans from Hahndorf (Schoff, Schultz, Heinrich, Pfeiffer, Zubrinich, etc, etc)

Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley hands reins to Matthew Nicks for pre-season games
Caroline Wilson
1425193826725.jpg

Big chance: Matthew Nicks is rapt to be given the chance to take over from Ken Hinkley in the pre-season. Photo: Supplied

In what has emerged as the most surprising coaching handover of the 2015 pre-season, Matthew Nicks will replace Ken Hinkley for the next fortnight of NAB Challenge games. The former Sydney Swan who quit football completely for stockbroking after retiring from playing in 2005, said he was "obviously over the moon" when Hinkley told him he would coach Port against West Coast and Richmond.

Hinkley, who first floated the idea with Nicks towards the end of last season, told his players on Friday that Nicks would take over until Hinkley returned to the coaches' box for the final pre-season clash against Adelaide on March 21 at AAMI Stadium. "That's just his style," said Nicks, Port's 39-year-old defensive coach, of Hinkley. "Nothing about Ken is about Ken. He's almost embarrassed about the focus on him now with the 'Yes We Ken' banners and those things.....

More: http://tinyurl.com/nqanut9

I thought they were all bloody Germans from Hahndorf (Schoff, Schultz, Heinrich, Pfeiffer, Zubrinich, etc, etc)

Generally the case but not for Klomp. He was born in the Netherlands and raised in SA. He did come down from the Hills (Heathfield-Aldgate). Heathfield is a bit posher than the deeper Hills, more Sturt. ;)

Note too, Robbert with a double 'b'.

Brother Kym became well introduced to Dave Granger's knee in a game at Alberton in the early 80s. Accidentally of course.

It's all relative isn't it.

When the endless CHF debates wax and wane, you still get people who bristle when I say Dermott Brereton (186cms) would be a rich man's Aaron Hamill today, whereas the likes of Tredders (194cms) would've been an elite power forward in any era.

I know what you're getting at but in this case it's not relative.

Dave Ormsby said Russell is taller than Ollie but he's not. It's a simple empirical comparison.

Russell was a taller midfielder for those days, when a 185cm player could hold down a key position. Unlike Ollie who you would rest at full forward say, Russell played his first season in that position and topped the goal kicking for Port. Even as late as 1981 at 31/2 Russell spent half a season at CHB when Greg Phillips tore his achilles tendon in round 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hormones in chicken, ( lol ).

Interesting comment on tv a few days ago when it was said the average height of the japanese has increased sigificantly in one generation, apparently due to a major increase in the availability of beef.
The traditional fish and rice diet creates small people, ala the philippines, where anyone over 5' 6" is considered tall, and there are plenty of sub 5 footers still around.

10 or so years ago I was shown a Maggie's team sheet from an early 1930's tour of WA, of about 25 players on the list there were only two over 6', the rest were around 5' 6" and under 11 stone, short people when compared to today's players.

I know what you're getting at but in this case it's not relative.

Dave Ormsby said Russell is taller than Ollie but he's not. It's a simple empirical comparison.

Russell was a taller midfielder for those days, when a 185cm player could hold down a key position. Unlike Ollie who you would rest at full forward say, Russell played his first season in that position and topped the goal kicking for Port. Even as late as 1981 at 31/2 Russell spent half a season at CHB when Greg Phillips tore his achilles tendon in round 1.

You can see why he thought it though. Russell was a big midfielder, etc.

Peter Marker didn't match up on Russ, from what I know he figured he couldn't curb him so he'd try to hurt him going the other way
You are right, the times they contested center Marker would play his own game and just try to be more effective than Russ, however on the rare occasions they contested the same ball God blew Marker away convincingly...

You are right, the times they contested center Marker would play his own game and just try to be more effective than Russ, however on the rare occasions they contested the same ball God blew Marker away convincingly...

Like this:

Ebo air-surfing on Peter Marker (729x1024).jpg

...Brother Kym became well introduced to Dave Granger's knee in a game at Alberton in the early 80s. Accidentally of course.

There is a great photo of that somewhere. IIRC Bomber Clifford And Ross Agius were in the vicinity and one was relieving Klomp of the ball.

What about Zilm? Is that German? He was my PE teacher at School.He was a bit of a Rex Hunt or campaigner
To be fair aren't all PE teachers? It's sort of required of the job.
All the fit kids want to play footy/soccer and whinge when it's rope climbing or hurdles or something. All the unfit kids require ridiculous effort to get them moving now cattle prods aren't allowed. I don't envy PE teachers.

You can see why he thought it though. Russell was a big midfielder, etc.

I've known a few people to be surprised how tall Ollie is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back