Port Adelaide and the Prison Bars

Collingwood fans: Happy with Port to wear Prison Bars for home games

• Yes Sir

Votes: 18 27.7%
  • Nope

Votes: 47 72.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I find this debate really interesting. I'd love for port to wear the prison bars more often, it's too good a guernsey with too much heritage to not be on the main stage.
I respect that we came into the league with the proviso that we didn't wear this guernsey, but I don't really get the whole devaluing your brand idea. Collingwood are the biggest club in the league with the biggest identity. The prison bar guernsey doesn't look anything like the Collingwood guernsey. Yes they are both black and white, but we already wear black and white. To my eye, the north melbourne and hawthorn guernseys are more similar to yours than the prison bar.
I think there is a lot of mutual respect between our two clubs and would like to think that both brands would feel confident enough to stand strong in their own identity. No one is going to look at a collingwood guernsey and associate it with port adelaide and vice versa for the prison bar.
Are you insane? Poo and s**t or blue and white????????
And look at some of our guernseys over the years....they are somewhat close to your prison bars....I do not want to be rude, and I very much was not in my last post, but why don't you go back to your pink?

Last edited:
I hope the club never does this. Imagine adding an extra colour to your guernsey, would totally change the feel and history. The Prison Bar is iconic not only because it's a great looking strip but because of the history associated with it. Chucking in teal or silver would just feel cheap and tacky.

The PB jumper is iconic in SA. The Collingwood jumer is iconic nationally. Black and white stripes belong to us in the national competition and that will never change.

To be honest I don't have a huge deal on it. Can see why people/the club would. With that said, I actually think the normal Port jumper looks better anyway haha

Are you insane? Poo and s**t or blue and white????????
And look at some of our guernseys over the years....they are somewhat close to your prison bars....I do not want to be rude, and I very much was not in my last post, but why don't you go back to your pink?
The design of the guernsey is what I'm talking about.
You know why we don't want to go back to the magenta guernsey. The prison bars has been the guernsey that we have worn for the longest and have had huge amounts of success in.

The PB jumper is iconic in SA. The Collingwood jumer is iconic nationally. Black and white stripes belong to us in the national competition and that will never change.
But we're already wearing the PB's on the odd occasion. This is what I don't understand. Collingwood are a massive club. Your brand identity is safe. Port wearing the PB's which is a very different style of guernsey wouldn't affect that.
Plus, the PB is a pretty iconic guernsey. I don't agree that it's state specific.

The design of the guernsey is what I'm talking about.
You know why we don't want to go back to the magenta guernsey. The prison bars has been the guernsey that we have worn for the longest and have had huge amounts of success in.
So am I, just change the white to teal...easy!

Seriously, it is so simple...
Keep the prison bars...BUT make the white teal....Eddie can not argue...you win, he wins.
It would honour your agreement with the AFL and still hold some history for your team....isn't the design what is important....and hell have you not won a flag with those colours?????

Seriously, it is so simple...
Keep the prison bars...BUT make the white teal....Eddie can not argue...you win, he wins.
It would honour your agreement with the AFL and still hold some history for your team....isn't the design what is important....and hell have you not won a flag with those colours?????
What's the point? The PB's like your guernsey has heritage and history. Changing it reduces it to a new and redundant imitation.

What's the point? The PB's like your guernsey has heritage and history. Changing it reduces it to a new and redundant imitation.
What is PB's?

But the difference is we did not go into the AFL with a promise, or rather we did...and that was no one else would have our colours. So why not create something new and old?
Do you not still have Port Magpies in SANFL?

Except you joined the AFL as "Port POWER" not as the Port Magpies. All that history, though very important to your overall club and fanbase, is not directly relevent to this current incarnation of the Port team we are talking about.

We have no problem you using the black-and-white prison bars on special occasions such as heritage rounds or as a clash jumper... but it cannot be your primary jumper. Even if you want to ignore VFL history (which I'm sorry - but that is directly relevent to the AFL, because the interstate clubs joined the VFL, not the other way around) and only talk about the post-AFL years, we have still had more success in the black-and-white than you guys.

I don't see why some port fans can't see the problem here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back