Premiership Player
Jun 16, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Est.1870
Thanks could you email them please? pbmb@aapt.net.au

I have known Lloyd for 20 plus years and although he does not work with me any more he is still part of the footy tips i run.

I have often wanted to ask him for photos but it might embarras him we still talk weekly on the phone and can only be described as a champion bloke.

Thanks in advance

I'm a bit confused birdmanptr (which is pretty common for me :) ). If you just want the electronic pics then just right click on the pictures in my post and save the files to your hard drive.

PS. There's a really good quality '57 team photo on the first page of this thread.

DSL64

All Australian
Sep 29, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
From this article at Football Invective as linked in another thread by PP.

take%20that.JPG

Larger image here

Great article (and pic)...

Was a pretty good side 88. Surely had one of the best half back lines ever assembled in this state - Leslie, Phillips, Abernathy.

Honestly, bias aside, how good was it?!

Code:
FB:   George Fiacchi        Roger Delaney       Greg Boyd

HB:   Martin Leslie[vc]     Greg Phillips       Bruce Abernethy

C:    Phil Harrison         Stephen Williams    David Hutton

HF:   Richard Foster        Darren Smith        Rohan Smith

FF:   Wayne Mahney          Scott Hodges        David Brown

1R:   Russell Johnston[c]   Andrew Obst         Tim Ginever

IC:   Roger Kerr   David Hynes

Coach: John Cahill

• Greatest coach in SANFL history.
  • Arguably the best back six in SANFL history.
  • Brilliant ruck combo
  • Two legends in the CHF/FF posts - with Mark Tylor in the Reserves.
  • Top-notch onball brigade complete with two traditional longkicking speedy wingmen - with a young Trigger just breaking through from the Reserves.

As good as it gets for a non-VFL/AFL side really - no wonder we absolutely dominated the league for three seasons.

birdmanptr

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2004
My opinion and Daffodils
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool Lockleys FC
I'm a bit confused birdmanptr (which is pretty common for me :) ). If you just want the electronic pics then just right click on the pictures in my post and save the files to your hard drive.

PS. There's a really good quality '57 team photo on the first page of this thread.

Thanks Count its me thats confused not you thanks heaps for the pics:thumbsu:

Mar 24, 2004
Ljubljana, Slovenia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Honestly, bias aside, how good was it?!

Code:
FB:   George Fiacchi        Roger Delaney       Greg Boyd

HB:   Martin Leslie[vc]     Greg Phillips       Bruce Abernethy

C:    Phil Harrison         Stephen Williams    David Hutton

HF:   Richard Foster        Darren Smith        Rohan Smith

FF:   Wayne Mahney          Scott Hodges        David Brown

1R:   Russell Johnston[c]   Andrew Obst         Tim Ginever

IC:   Roger Kerr   David Hynes

Coach: John Cahill

• Greatest coach in SANFL history.
  • Arguably the best back six in SANFL history.
  • Brilliant ruck combo
  • Two legends in the CHF/FF posts - with Mark Tylor in the Reserves.
  • Top-notch onball brigade complete with two traditional longkicking speedy wingmen - with a young Trigger just breaking through from the Reserves.

As good as it gets for a non-VFL/AFL side really - no wonder we absolutely dominated the league for three seasons.

I had the 1980 side somewhere which gets my vote as the best SANFL side ever.

Magpiespower

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan
Dec 16, 2004
Salisbury
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I had the 1980 side somewhere which gets my vote as the best SANFL side ever.

1980 Premiership side

F: Boyd, Evans, Cahill
HF: Clifford, Faletic, Agius
C: Abernethy, M. Williams, Kinnear
HB: Hannan, Phillips, Hofner
B: Eckerman, Sorrell, Bradmore
R: Natt, Ebert, Cunningham
Int: Dolan, Porplycia

Add Tony Giles to the backline and that team would easily get my vote as Port's strongest premiership team in the 1980s.

Honestly think our '89 side was the most balanced team of the 1988-1990 hat-trick.

That 1980 side had an amazing year. W19, L2, D1 IIRC - one of those losses was by 4 points. Average winning margin of 11 goals. Broke the SANFL minor round scoring barrier of 3000 points for the first time (finished up with around 3400 points for and 1800 against). Tim Evans broke the then SANFL goal kicking record with 146 goals. Russell Ebert won his 4th Magarey Medal. Seven players were selected in the State team. And of course won the premiership to go back to back (and did the threepeat the next year).

As mentioned, Tony Giles missed the GF side after breaking his jaw in an off-field 'altercation' following the second semi-final (which Port won by 77 points). Tony Hannan was recalled from country footy by John Cahill to fill the void. Dave Granger played a fair chunk of the year in the back pocket, infamously claiming pretty much a victim a week (as highlighted at one stage by Neil Kerley in his weekly News column). He wound up playing in the reserves side and kicked 5 goals in the GF in the side which also won the premiership coming back from around 8 goals down at 3/4 time against Glenelg.

Apr 27, 2002
2004 Premiers
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers, Newcastle
That 88 side was a real ripsnorter. Absolutely classic Port side.

80 is a little hard for me to remember well. I'd only been following Port for 5 years at that stage, and was still in school.

Jan 11, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide - SANFL
I have the same problem with the 1965 premeirship team ;)

I have many problems with that one as I wasn't thought of at the time........:D

My favourite would still be 77 given it was the first and followed the 76 disaster........then the 2 mini era's of 79,80 & 81 and 88, 89 & 90 which showed the real depth of talent the club had.

I'm still on dial up and still no idea when the ADSL connection will be back so the pics will have to wait a bit longer............

Apr 27, 2002
2004 Premiers
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers, Newcastle
I'm still on dial up and still no idea when the ADSL connection will be back so the pics will have to wait a bit longer............
Feel ya pain brother. Every time I go back home to my folks place I am waiting forever. :(

I have fibre-optic into my place here...it's nice to finally, truly have all-you-can-eat internet.

Sorry for the *bump*

I was too young for 1980, but for mine, 1988 was as close to footballing perfection as you can get, especially considering who was waiting in the wings - was also the beginning of the era of dominance which lead to the AFL bid.

Johnston wins the tap to Ginever, quick hands to Stephen Williams, who hits Hodges on the t!t 40 metres out.

Love it. Miss it.

PS - As if s**t is beyond the swear filter but t-boob isn't. Disgrace, not even real.

Port_GW

Club Legend
Sep 12, 2006
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Sorry for the *bump*

I was too young for 1980, but for mine, 1988 was as close to footballing perfection as you can get, especially considering who was waiting in the wings - was also the beginning of the era of dominance which lead to the AFL bid.

Johnston wins the tap to Ginever, quick hands to Stephen Williams, who hits Hodges on the t!t 40 metres out.

Love it. Miss it.

PS - As if s**t is beyond the swear filter but t-boob isn't. Disgrace, not even real.

I think the side was better in both 89 and 90 than it was in 88, although in saying that i recall us thrashing Norwood a month or so prior to the GF (cant remember if it was minor round or a final). Think they only kicked 2 or so goals for the game. The 88 GF wasn't totally convincing for me, we struggled in the first half and the Bays could have been in front at half time, if not for a James West miss from the edge of the goalsquare. I think a fortunate David Brown snap for goal that bounced sideways was the start of our momentum, and from then on we outplayed Glenelg but as mentioned I dont think it was as convincing as 89 or 90. 89 was just an awesome effort, especially the GF, with the Jarmans, Hart and Redden in the "engine room" it was an awesome effort to keep them to a solitary goal. Likewise 1990 with the emotion of the AFL bid was brilliant as well.

But i would agree also that our best premiership side of the last 30 or so years would be the 1980 side. With the great man in the side (Ebert) plus other champions such as Bucky, Phillips, Evans and Abers etc.

In saying that though the 88 grand final WAS a particular highlight for me as it was the club's first premiership in 7 years and also the first winning GF i'd ever seen live.

if not for a James West miss from the edge of the goalsquare.

My dad used to work with Jim West - I got his autograph on a superfluous 1976 World Of Sport Yearbook. Forgot to thank him for that, though I was 9. ;)

I think a fortunate David Brown snap for goal that bounced sideways was the start of our momentum, and from then on we outplayed Glenelg but as mentioned I dont think it was as convincing as 89 or 90.

I mentioned that to Browny at the 1994 Crows members' day - he was sheepish even then :D

89 was just an awesome effort, especially the GF, with the Jarmans, Hart and Redden in the "engine room" it was an awesome effort to keep them to a solitary goal. Likewise 1990 with the emotion of the AFL bid was brilliant as well.

The 1989 side, to dismantle North in that manner was just ridiculous - although we did destroy them at Footy Park the night of the SOO debacle at the G. To back up again for the threepeat in 1990 was sublime. Still, '88 was the kickoff to everything after so long between drinks.

But i would agree also that our best premiership side of the last 30 or so years would be the 1980 side. With the great man in the side (Ebert) plus other champions such as Bucky, Phillips, Evans and Abers etc.

In saying that though the 88 grand final WAS a particular highlight for me as it was the club's first premiership in 7 years and also the first winning GF i'd ever seen live.

Again, I can only defer to popular opinion in the case of 1980. :thumbsu:

88 was the first year where I could really understand what was going on in a game of footy. Went to almost every game that year. Still have some great memories.

The Norwood game was the 2nd semi final. Norwood had dealt with Centrals by 40 points the week before then we came out with a 10.17 to 2.5 effort. They were goalless at half time from memory.

The 88 Grand Final is an interesting game to watch. Glenelg were dominant with the wind in the first quarter but were only up by 3 goals at the first change. We then took it up a notch and Glenelg were left behind. THey kicked only 1 goal in about 75 minutes of football from their 3rd goal in the 1st quarter to their 5th goal in the last.

Abernathy destroyed Marshall that day. Hynes had over 20 disposals and 26 hitouts. Browny was great. Foster was great. Leslie, FIacchi, G Boyd and Delaney in defence was great.

To win in 1989 the way we did, after losing to North two weeks before the finals (by 4 points in front of 29k) was awesome.

1990 is up there. We destroyed almost everyone that year. Glenelg were pretty close behind us as well. With all the emotion, to win that was great. Scottys record goals etc. Great year.

1992 was just a plain old fashioned thrashing.

1988 was a memorable season. Russell Ebert had laid a lot of groundwork bringing kids through the previous years and they formed the core of the great Port sides of the late 80s - mid 90s. He was replaced by John Cahill at the end of the 1987 season and there was a big public fallout with rallies and accusations flying. It was many years before we saw Russell back at the PAFC after that.

But, Jack Cahill's simple yet super-effective game plan and his eye for talent for position and players with unwavering attack on the ball and body lifted the team from 'not quite good enough' to 'see ya later'.

That Norwood final was memorable for a couple of reasons. Of course pummelling them. But we also pounded them the week before in the final minor round game when we held them goalless in the second half. Then the next week we held them goalless in the first half. So effectively we held Norwood goalless over four consecutive quarters. They were shattered by that result. I still remember the photo of Balmey sitting on a windswept Footy Park, just him and his clipboard and the seagulls, 45 minutes after the final poring over what went wrong.

Cahill broke Norwood's stranglehold over us under Ebert, and then choked the life out of them himself.

I remember Anthony Williams dying in that tragic house renovation accident, working with his brother Stephen, just before we played Norwood at the Parade. And George Fiacchi going to the back pocket to replace the grieving Stephen and forming the famous Batman and Robin partnership with Roger Delaney. Then when Stephen returned to the side, he went into the midfield and became a key part of our success there.

It really was a watershed year capped off by a memorable premiership. 1981 had seemed a lifetime away by then. And it set the ball rolling for our ultimate rise to the national stage.

Port_GW

Club Legend
Sep 12, 2006
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yep great photo :thumbsu:

I was expecting to see my great Uncle, AJ Swain (one of the officials from 50/60 years ago) but not in this one.

Interesting to see a McBain in the back row, is that Scott McBrain's father (certainly is a resemblance)? I think i've heard his father played for the club although may have been his uncle.

These are from the 1964 set. There was also a set in 1965 (Beaufoy, Elleway,Freeman, Motley) and again in 1971 (Darrell and John Cahill, Ebert, Haslam). BTW congrats on having "100 Years With The Magpies" nice item Very hard to find these days.

It had to be 1964 because it talked about Jack Cahill's efforts in SA's win against the Vics in Melbourne the year before, and that was in 1963

SA 12.8 = 90 vs Vic 10.13 = 73

Back