AFLW Port Adelaide AFLW (Team to enter in 2022 season)

Remove this Banner Ad

412096-erin-phillips.jpg

"If you get any trouble from those SANFL campaigners, Erin you be sure to let me know, ok?"
"And I will send the drones in over West Lakes."

Interesting you suggest that. Has just signed on as West Adelaide's Womens coach. Maybe a couple of years in the gig before switching over to PAFC?

Just on this I know Peta Searle impressed a lot of people when she was at South Fremantle as an assistant coach. Think she started off at Port Melbourne, then the Bulldogs brought her over and a couple of years ago she was promoted onto the Saints coaching staff.

Will be interesting to see what happens when the womens league inevitably commences as she will be an obvious candidate for a coach. However I would like to see her continue to progress up the ranks in AFL circles before then though and break down more barriers in terms of coaching men.

Just as Graham Cornes knocks the AFC hard for their lack of initiative compared to us, this appears from Caro.

Someone at West Lakes has developed a pulse, it seems, and come up with a MacArthur-esque leapfrog by parachuting into Darwin.

Our own area of strength in the NT revolves around Alice Springs, so let's see what we do next. If anything.

...on Friday Adelaide CEO Andrew Fagan told Fairfax Media he had met the AFL to propose the joint venture with AFL Northern Territory in a bid to overcome the relative dearth of talented women footballers in South Australia. "We see this as a compelling way to create significant talent pathways," said Fagan.

Fagan said the partnership would also overcome the issue of relocating talented young women from the NT for what is looming initially as just a two-month season. With 7000 female football players in the Northern Territory, the move is expected to have strong government backing.
Both Fagan and AFLNT boss Michael Solomon have presented written submissions to the AFL. The two parties have agreed the team would play as the Adelaide Crows with some AFLNT presence on the back of the jumper and in the form of the club colours.
"For the Northern Territory, who's probably never going to have an AFL male team here, to have a women's team ... that's a massive win for the Northern Territory," said Solomon.
"We don't want to see our best Indigenous players forced to leave the Territory to play for teams around Australia when they could be based here. "We have seven to eight women here who are ready to go and another 12 or so playing out of our youth academy at the Michael Long Centre who we believe would challenge for a senior place by 2017."

The proposed hybrid team would split home games between Adelaide and Darwin's Marrara Oval.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/crows-and-nt-in-bid-for-womens-licence-20151218-glrato.html#ixzz3uerbgSwB

Just as Graham Cornes knocks the AFC hard for their lack of initiative compared to us, this appears from Caro.

Someone at West Lakes has developed a pulse, it seems, and come up with a MacArthur-esque leapfrog by parachuting into Darwin.

Our own area of strength in the NT revolves around Alice Springs, so let's see what we do next. If anything.

...on Friday Adelaide CEO Andrew Fagan told Fairfax Media he had met the AFL to propose the joint venture with AFL Northern Territory in a bid to overcome the relative dearth of talented women footballers in South Australia. "We see this as a compelling way to create significant talent pathways," said Fagan.

Fagan said the partnership would also overcome the issue of relocating talented young women from the NT for what is looming initially as just a two-month season. With 7000 female football players in the Northern Territory, the move is expected to have strong government backing.
Both Fagan and AFLNT boss Michael Solomon have presented written submissions to the AFL. The two parties have agreed the team would play as the Adelaide Crows with some AFLNT presence on the back of the jumper and in the form of the club colours.
"For the Northern Territory, who's probably never going to have an AFL male team here, to have a women's team ... that's a massive win for the Northern Territory," said Solomon.
"We don't want to see our best Indigenous players forced to leave the Territory to play for teams around Australia when they could be based here. "We have seven to eight women here who are ready to go and another 12 or so playing out of our youth academy at the Michael Long Centre who we believe would challenge for a senior place by 2017."

The proposed hybrid team would split home games between Adelaide and Darwin's Marrara Oval.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/crows-and-nt-in-bid-for-womens-licence-20151218-glrato.html#ixzz3uerbgSwB
The team for all South Australians and some NT women.

Well. It's getting noticed. A female Chinese friend of mine (whom I took to her first AFL match this year vs. the bulldogs at AO) has shared the announcement.

did lol @ google translator. She informs me that: "So my friend thought I posted the ad because i was now doing the sports and said to me "you are cattle" = "you are super". Then I replied, "no, it is they (the Australian women) are super!""

Untitled.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We got a mention by one of the female commentators (Im not sure who it was) during the WBBL match this afternoon for signing up Erin!!!

She did call us Port Power - but I was surprised she knew that much about us!!!

Yeah well I think the real problem is that the AFL won't issue a licence to SA at all. It's pretty clear that PAFC wants the SA licence and with KT around, we'll get what we want.

A hybrid team in theory can work but the logistics of a Darwin/Adelaide team? I can't see the AFL liking that too much. Just with Adelaide being so much bigger it will be mostly based in Adelaide, and the NT women who will be chosen will either have to relocate or be exhausted by a commute from hell. Just from the $ alone I can't see it working.

The team for all South Australians and some NT women.

The team for all South Australian men and some NT women

Way to alienate the population you're claiming to support.

The team for all South Australian men and some NT women

Way to alienate the population you're claiming to support.

That "relative dearth", if true, is another SANFL failing - how on earth can Queensland have more/better women footy players than Souf Astraya? Because some people who give a * got off their arses and made it happen - years ahead of the SANFL.

Whether our dearths of current Aussie Rules experienced/capable women are relative or absolute that's still narrow thinking. There's heaps of women out there in SA who would put on a decent show if they were interested enough to get involved.
Ignoring the phwoar side of things I'm intrigued by the Lingerie League thing in American football, and apparently now underway in soccer in the UK. They have no trouble at all recruiting women for those sports (or 'sports' if you prefer) and in the couple of American football games I watched they play the game well.
If we emulated how they recruit for these sports we would have a team no problems. But we can't. One thing is reasonable money for the players, unless the AFL subsidised us we can't pay them. The other is they target players in other sports and actually poach them. That's not a fight the AFL would want to enter into. Back to the money again I've been watching The Back Page this year and so often their guests are Australian female athletes who are successful at the highest level of their sport but have to work part-time to survive. Perhaps if we did get some money from the AFL we could look at playing women from summer sports where footy is played in their off-season.

Lingerie soccer? Never head of that.

Women's soccer is a big sport and and getting bigger. The better players earn a decent living and it won't be too long before more will.

For women's sport, it's about finding a way to be relevant, but the same can be said for the smaller men's sports really.

The ANZ championship netball legitimised professional as a career path for elite netballers, and is a brilliant and well supported concept. The NSL folding and the A-League forming did the same for soccer.

The NBL is still languishing being really poorly managed despite basketball being enormous in Australia.

Women's sport is getting better at marketing itself, which is great. This Women's AFL is another step in the right direction. I really, really hope I get to go down to Alberton and watch the women's team from time to time.

Adelaide went into discussions with the SANFL and quickly realized that they just don't have the players required to make a proper submission. So instead of investing in South Australian women's football and biding their time they did what every s**t franchise does and sub-contracted the bulk of the talent from the NT just so they could put in their half baked proposal. If the NT doesn't have a team in the AFL, and it can't get one up for the SANFL, what makes them think anyone is going to believe their backdoor underhanded schtick is going to be anything more than a token one or two players?

Makes me laugh how desperate these clowns and their fans are for relevance. They know they are getting destroyed on and off the field so they want to shift the goalposts to another battleground. The AFL is going to tell them to * off, and rightly so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back