List Mgmt. Port Adelaide list management

Remove this Banner Ad

So the drafting appears all but done, just a couple of rookie spots left to fill.

How do you see the structure of Port's list? What do you like about it, what could be better?

I'm glad to have a couple of young big tall forwards on the list in Shaw and Harvey, it will take the pressure off Butcher and may even allow him to play as third forward or tall flanker in the old talk.

Would like to see another young ruckman on the rookie list (even with Renouf there), the crows are thinking the same so hopefully we would target different players.

Another tall (195+cm) defender would be handy.

Looks like we have addressed pace concerns and would take the punt on Venter as an unregistered rookie.

Agree that another tall defender would be good - some sides have 4 forwards > 195cm.

Even Thorpe as a rookie would be OK as he would have the strength.

So for me - best available then KPP defender. If no one particularly good then young ruckman.

So the drafting appears all but done, just a couple of rookie spots left to fill.

How do you see the structure of Port's list? What do you like about it, what could be better?

I'm glad to have a couple of young big tall forwards on the list in Shaw and Harvey, it will take the pressure off Butcher and may even allow him to play as third forward or tall flanker in the old talk.

Would like to see another young ruckman on the rookie list (even with Renouf there), the crows are thinking the same so hopefully we would target different players.

Another tall (195+cm) defender would be handy.

Looks like we have addressed pace concerns and would take the punt on Venter as an unregistered rookie.

I'm happy with the balance of the list and think we have enough potential A-grade talent in all positions and an increasingly healthy amount of depth.

1. Rucks:
Two young rucks of potentially very high quality. Both still with a stigma of being injury prone, so we need at least another two rucks in our full squad.
Retaining Renouf is therefore important. We could get away without drafting another, purely on the grounds that we managed to get by in 2013, but a fourth ruck prospect would be preferable.
Harvey, Shaw, Trengove and Westhoff all have some potential to play support roles in the ruck moving forward. I'd still like us to take a punt on Conlon in the rookie draft, as another speculative forward-ruck option.

2. Midfield:
Good, potentially brilliant.
I punished myself by reading pages of self-congratulatory back-patting and hypersalivation on the Cows board at the recruitment of Crouch.
They rattled off the names of Crouch x2, Dangerfield, Sloane, Grigg, Smith and Kerridge and thought that they would make the competition's best midfield brigade within 3 years.

I had a chuckle:
Hartlett, Boak, Wingard, Wines, Moore, Ebert - all virtual proven talents at AFL level, with unknown ceilings for Wingard and Wines, and still much improvement left in Hartlett and Moore. Boak and Ebert already performing at a consistently high level.
Gray, Broadbent, Monfries as proven flanker-mid depth of high quality and effectiveness.
Polec - a major unknown, but his best would be incredible for us.
Young - developing nicely
AhChee, Newton - longshots but still capable
Kornes and Cassisi - short-term leadership and solidarity
Mitchell - sub material

Other unknowns but potentially high ceiling - Neade, Impey, Amon

Not much more to add for this rookie draft IMO

3. Tall forwards:
The most uncertain still
Harvey, Butcher and Shaw will remain speculative until they have 20+ games of high quality and uninterrupted AFL footy behind them.
One more pick in the rookie draft (Conlon would be perfect IMO) and a concentrated effort to recruit a very good young KPF in 2014 are priorities.

4. Tall backs:
If we have a good run with injury, then we're ok for now.
Carlile and Trengove are improving with the rest of the team
Hombsch and Jonas are rippers and cover key posts for short periods if injuries are limited.
Clurey is an unknown as yet, but the signs are good.
We need another to add to the list probably during the 2014 trade/draft period

5. Small forwards:
Explosive - Neade, White. Maybe Impey.
Classy and brilliant - Gray, Wingard
Strong and effective - Monfries, Young
Unlikely - Hitchcock

Basically if Neade, Wingard, Gray and Monfries all play, it is a frighteningly good mix.

6. Small defenders (lockdown type)
Impey, Byrne-Jones - unproven, but one should come good
Logan - still needed in the short-term
White - likely but untested in that position
Flynn - Completely untested but exciting

7. Utilities including the peripheral defenders/runners
High quality, thank you very much - O'Shea, Broadbent
I think they'll be high quality - Pittard, Colquhoun
Best is not elite, but valuable - Stewart

Reckon we have most boxes ticked.
What makes the list go from good to great is if (1) one of Butcher, Shaw or Harvey makes it in a very big way, (2) if Carlile and Trengove take their 2013 finals form forward and make it their norm and (3) if Hartlett, Polec and Moore fulfill all their promise in the midfield.
Then the bonuses around the edges including the new draftees become icing on the cake.

With names like conlon, templeton, battersby, thorpe etc left over from the draft, I suspect my man crush on Willy Rioli will be short lived. Conlon is top of the list for rookie spots IMO, unlikely to still be there at our 14 though...

Shamlessly stolen from Macca19 but updated

Untitled.png

had a few changes with his on player classification, also left Renouf there. Put impey as a small forward and Byrne Jones as a small def because they will go either way. Gray i probably should have put on the inside mid where i want him to play though. much more balanced than it was 3 months ago to say the least. Ebert i have no idea where to put.

How do you see the structure of Port's list? What do you like about it, what could be better?.....
We have the structure of a good team with known players gaining experience, dead-wood being incrementally cleared away, and good players in reserve. The key now is managing the list the way Sydney, Hawthorn etc do. We have never done the latter in our AFL incarnation.

If next years draft is stronger overall and in KPP's in particular than this year, some talk suggests close to the super draft status of 2001+06+08, then I expect us to trade away some players next year. get some extra top 20-30 picks, and finally get our balance of 195cm+ KPP's and ruckmen right by December 2014.

If we get injuries to Jacko, Schulz, Westhoff or Lobbe we have thin depth to replace either individually or if 2 or more happen at once.

If during this preseason Redden can built up his tank to be more like Lobbe's and Lobbe can improve his marking to be more like Redden's, then I will be more comfortable about our depth of talls.

Tall defenders: Trengove, Hombsch and Clurey with cameos from Jonas and/or O'Shea are good enough to hopefully form the nucleus of our defence for the next decade. As others have said, the one thing our KPD stocks are missing is a Joel Tippett-esque 195cm+ backup if Trengove goes down. We struggle for height in defence when Trengove isn't in the side.

Small rebounding defenders: Fap fap fap fap fap fap

Small stopping defenders: The club identified this as a need in the drafted and drafted accordingly. We're in a bit of an awkward spot here though. Logan and Cassisi are too old, and Impey and DBJ are too young. This is an area we could struggle in for a couple of years. In hindsight, I would've loved to have convinced Steven Morris to come here a couple of years ago.

Midfield: Fap fap fap fap fap. Wouldn't mind somebody emerging as a future tagger though. Maybe Moore will be developed in that role.

Rucks: Lobbe and Redden will be a great combo who complement each other nicely when they're both fit, but we're playing with fire only having two rucks on the main list. We'll be in trouble if they both get 4-6 week injuries that are long enough to have them miss a fair bit of football but not long enough to upgrade a rookie in their place. Would've loved to have gotten Nankervis in the ND but he went well before our picks unfortunately. Some people want us to get a development ruck in the rookie draft, but personally I think that ship has sailed. It won't solve our current problem.

Key position forwards: Schulz is a gun, but he's 28 and he seems to suffer 4 or 5 potential career ending injuries per match, so it would be nice to have some mature-age reliable backup. Unfortunately we don't. Butcher, Shaw and Harvey with cameos from Redden is a decent battery of young KPF prospects, but they're all very similar players. I'd like to add somebody like Hourigan in the rookie draft to give us an option as a lead-up KPF. I think Hourigan would improve very quickly after a pre-season or two under Burgess.

Small/Medium forwards: The one thing we're missing is a mature-aged pure crumbing forward to take some pressure off of Jake Neade until he fully develops. Sam Gray might be a solution to that problem. Other than that, fap fap fap fap fap fap

Shamlessly stolen from Macca19 but updated

View attachment 36186

had a few changes with his on player classification, also left Renouf there. Put impey as a small forward and Byrne Jones as a small def because they will go either way. Gray i probably should have put on the inside mid where i want him to play though. much more balanced than it was 3 months ago to say the least. Ebert i have no idea where to put.
Impey should be moved over a few spots. We have been told many times by a number of people at the club that he was recruited to be a small defender.

I still think we need another genuine tall defender, which in turn could free up trengove at times when needed to go forward, or pinch hit in the Ruck. I still believe he's one of our best defenders but would hate to see him locked down to that role, i see good value in his versatility.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Echo tall defender.

Boyd and Daniher both 200+. Franklin, Hawkins 197cms. Kennedy, Cloke 196. The present is really really tall, the future is terrifying.

Carlile @ 191-192cms is essentially a medium defender these days.

Echo tall defender.

Boyd and Daniher both 200+. Franklin, Hawkins 197cms. Kennedy, Cloke 196. The present is really really tall, the future is terrifying.

Carlile @ 191-192cms is essentially a medium defender these days.

Echoes my thoughts precisely - and they are just the premium options. Were not mentioning the resting rucks and likes of patton, petrie, tippet etc

If we need a developing defender to rookie list Raikiwasa is our man. He will grow into the next Bobby Carlile but Aseri has better decision making and doesn't fumble the ball like Carlile does.
Still a bit undersized. Given we didn't rookie list him last year, I doubt this year's Sanfl form was enough to change Hinkley's mind.

If we need a developing defender to rookie list Raikiwasa is our man. He will grow into the next Bobby Carlile but Aseri has better decision making and doesn't fumble the ball like Carlile does.

NO. MORE. UNDERSIZED. KEY. DEFENDERS.

Ok who is going to be the first to eyeball Ken at any of the Q&A functions the clubs put on or at a post game function and ask him why we don't have more 195+cm Key defenders?

IMO if you are really strong and have a good amount of pace 1 or 2 inches of height won't mean that much.

It's the old truism, players get tireder and slower as the game goes on, but they don't get any shorter. We need another 195+ KPD in next years draft (unless we strike gold rookie listing one that comes along leaps and bounds in 2014).

It's the old truism, players get tireder and slower as the game goes on, but they don't get any shorter. We need another 195+ KPD in next years draft (unless we strike gold rookie listing one that comes along leaps and bounds in 2014).

Maybe in a few years time if Butcher is on thin ice and when Shaw and Harvey make the step up to AFL level, We could throw him down back and see how it goes.
He wasn't great this season but Kern said he was in the team because of 2 reasons.
1. Structure
2. His defensive work as a full forward was apparently good.

Maybe in a few years time if Butcher is on thin ice and when Shaw and Harvey make the step up to AFL level, We could throw him down back and see how it goes.
He wasn't great this season but Kern said he was in the team because of 2 reasons.
1. Structure
2. His defensive work as a full forward was apparently good.

i mention this last yr and got attacked from all angles/ ridiculous/never mention again ect. ect. and i still like the idea/mobile,good leap,reads the drop,good closing speed blah blah :thumbsu: but i wouldnt wait a few yrs,already covered that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back