List Mgmt. Port Adelaide list management

Remove this Banner Ad

.... I'm digging around the AFL website and I can't find the bloody list management rules ....
In situations like that you tag RussellEbertHandball. Commisioner Gordon was never afraid to use the ...
BatSignal-300x200.jpg

... I think Sam Gray might be another guy who might be unlucky at the end of the year ....
You might be right, but sentiment (came up through the Maggies development program which finished this year) and low cost may save him for 2015. I hope so, I met his mother a few weeks back. She was a lovely lady and it was a good reminder that a whole family takes the AFL journey.

It will be interesting to see what path the club takes with the delistings. We know that Cassisi is already gone, I reckon 4 or 5 more may go.

Several names under consideration....
Renouf: 26 years old, Was rookied due to our lack of ruck depth. Has had a terrible year in the SANFL. Played 1 AFL game and was subbed out after an embarrassing performance. Knee injury have ruled him out for the second half of the year. Delist.

Hitchcock: 24 years old, Is a very good SANFL player, But with Wingard, Monfries, Sam and Robbie Gray and Neade (and in the future maybe Amon) able to play forward, His AFL days are numbered. Is unable to stay on the park at AFL level due to injuries and was unable to play a game this season. Delist.

Stevenson: 25 years old, Hasn't managed to play any games this season, Don't see any improvement from him. Good SANFL player. But I can't see him being on our list next season. Delist.

Heath: 23 years old, 3 Knee surgeries in his career so far. Has undertaken LARS to revive his career, I rate him highly as a medium sized defender. But due to injuries I don't think he will get another year. Looks to be one of the unlucky stories in the AFL. Delist.

Russell: 18 years old, Do they think he has done enough to keep a spot? Is there too much of his type at the club? I think we give him an extra year so he can prove himself after his half year injury.

Ah Chee: 20 years old, Do they believe he has enough potential to do anything at AFL level? Serious question marks over him in the first half of the season. Second half of the season was a massive improvement, We should give him another year.

S.Gray: 22 years old, Don't see high potential in him. But is good depth in the small forwards position, managed to play 7 AFL games. I think we will give him a 2nd year on the rookie list.

Logan: 29 years old, His whole career has been on 1 year contracts. Has had a great year in the SANFL, Very handy depth. I can see us giving him another year to do the Dom role. Very courageous campaigner.

Mitchell: 24 years old, Very good SANFL player, Ken loves his run at AFL level but is not good in terms of disposal of the ball. Will likely be kept on the rookie list for a 3rd season or could be upgraded to make room for another mature aged recruit on the rookie list.

Looking at the draft I would be disappointed if we didn't upgrade Flynn trade in a player and have 5 picks. I can see a couple of hard calls being made.

Looking at the draft I would be disappointed if we didn't upgrade Flynn trade in a player and have 5 picks. I can see a couple of hard calls being made.

We don't need to make a call on Flynn until the end of next season. Let him develop in the SANFL for another season.

Saturday must have been really horrible

Maybe everyone went out Friday night after the Carlton game.

we won't de-list too many otherwise we won't have enough to de-list next year

IMO

Cassisi (ret)
Stevenson
Heath
Logan
Hitchcock

Gives us 4 spots on main list, 1 will probably be used as a trade/FA acquisition leaving 3 for draft.

i expect Mitchell to be upgraded to main list given his 2 years is up and he's now played 23 games in that time. given his improvement on last year i have no problems keeping him. so i think we'll only have the 2 live picks this year.

that leaves us with Renouf/Gray/Russell on the rookie list.

i would keep Renouf unless we have already got another ruckman pre rookie draft. Russell i have no idea about and i would trust clubs call on. Gray can run his second year.

wouldn't mind re-rookieing Logan/Heath because he's going to be better than the last pick in rookie draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be keeping Logan because every club needs that guy at training and then come Rd 12 in winter where you need a nuggety jack hammer for 5 rounds until some niggling injuries clean up and other players return.

On a smaller scg I'd actually not be surprised if he was selected to play a forward pocket role if Wingard is touching form and we decide to play him further up field

Great summary by RossFC

My changes would be the following:

Out:
Senior List -
Cassisi (ret) --> Trade in Ruc/Fwd (3rd Rnd Pick?)
Hitchcock (del) --> 1st Rnd ND Pick (KPP/best mid)
Stevenson (del) --> 2nd Rnd ND Pick (KPP/best mid)
Heath (del) --> 4th Rnd ND Pick - Upgrade Rookie (K. Mitchell)

Out:
Rookie List -
Renouf (del) --> Rookie State League Ruck (Baulderstone?)
K.Mitchell (upg) --> Heath or best available project rookie pick
S. Gray - Keep
Russell - Keep

Personally I'd rather have Kane Mitchell on the main list instead of drafting a 4th rounder that is unlikely to be anything.

If Mitchell has a bad 2015 he could become one of the compulsory delistings.
The rookie spot he frees up will most likely be used on a long term development player or a mature aged recruit like Krakouer.

I think Hinkley has shown so far that he likes known quantities. That's why I can't see us not retaining Renouf on the rookie list unless a ruckman is traded in.

My current thoughts...

Senior List
Cassisi - retired
Hitchcock - delist - 5 years on the senior list as a small forward without consistent AFL football, is behind a number of more talented players in the same position, injury prone and not enough tricks in the bag
Stevenson - delist - 25 years old, no consistent AFL, is behind a number of more talented players in the same position, still has question marks over his defensive accountability
Heath - delist - super talent but massively injury prone, not required given we extended Stewart's contract

I'd keep the rest unless they seek a trade - Logan, Ah Chee, Newton, etc.

Rookie List
Renouf - delist - should retire, that knee is done. Massively injury prone and barely serves as a 'break in case of emergency' ruck option
Mitchell - 3rd year rookie - I don't see a burning need to promote him other than to free up a rookie spot if we have our eye on someone, should only play as an injury replacement given the talent we have coming through, could be a nominated rookie promotion if we go into 2015 with a senior list of 39.
S.Gray - 2nd year rookie - shown some promise as a nuggety player, probably reminds Hinkley of a younger version of himself, never understood why we drafted him in the first place, deserves a second year IMO but not fussed if he's delisted to free up a rookie spot as Macca suggested in the podcast.
Russell - 2nd year rookie - injury interrupted year, bottom ager, shown improving form since returning, we should continue our investment for the time being
Flynn - already contracted for 2015.

Delist:
Cassisi
Hitchcock
Logan
Stevenson
Heath (would love to keep but I think will be gone)

Newton - will seek a trade

Rookie list:
Renouf - delist
Mitchell - Keep
Gray - delist
Russell - Keep

Personally I'd rather have Kane Mitchell on the main list instead of drafting a 4th rounder that is unlikely to be anything.

If Mitchell has a bad 2015 he could become one of the compulsory delistings.
The rookie spot he frees up will most likely be used on a long term development player or a mature aged recruit like Krakouer.

What would be the point of upgrading Mitchell to free up a rookie spot for Krakouer when we could just draft Krakouer to the main list and significantly lessen the chance of him being poached? I know which one I'd rather have in the AFL side next year.

What would be the point of upgrading Mitchell to free up a rookie spot for Krakouer when we could just draft Krakouer to the main list and significantly lessen the chance of him being poached? I know which one I'd rather have in the AFL side next year.

It's a strategic move. I doubt another club would take Krakouer from us. If Krakouer is on the main list (Which I assume will be for more than 1 year) and we need to get rid of 3 guys at the end of 2015 we would then need to make a tough call on somebody that isn't Mitchell.
If Mitchell gets delisted on the main list we can replace him with our first round pick. Delisting Mitchell off the rookie list does nothing.

But then again, maybe the club are not even interested in Krakouer, so who knows.

Delist:
Cassisi
Hitchcock
Logan
Stevenson
Heath (would love to keep but I think will be gone)

Newton - will seek a trade

Rookie list:
Renouf - delist
Mitchell - Keep
Gray - delist
Russell - Keep
Remind me of the rules regarding a rookie listed player being on the rookie list for more than 2 years? Mitchell has been on the rookie list for 2 years, no?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back