Opinion Port Adelaide museum at Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

Express Footy

Debutant
Jan 19, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I've come back from a holiday in Europe where I did some stadium tours of large soccer clubs like Manchester United, Barcelona, Liverpool and Real Madrid, and all have brilliant museums of each club's history.

Within the museums they have pictures and information of historic events, detailed articles on former star players, trophy cabinets, televisions with highlights of big games etc. With Port Adelaide expected to make a profit in 2015 and beyond, I thought a good idea for the club would be to invest in creating a museum which captures Port Adelaide's rich 145 year history.

Obviously the museum wouldn't quite reach the levels of those of the big soccer clubs', but I think couple of rooms full of Port Adelaide history with the trophies on display as well as historic events in the club's history and features on star players would be fantastic addition to Alberton. Although there are already trophies and other features in the Port Club, I think we could do so much better and really show off the history of this great club.

The obvious question is where at Alberton would the museum be located and what the cost of developing it would be. I don't have the answers to that and I know this is a bit of a pipe dream, I just thought it would be a good idea for the club to look at some time in the future.

I'll leave some pictures of the various soccer club museums below.

Cheers

Express Footy

Liverpool

View attachment 104693

20141223_122817.png

20141223_122921j.png

Real Madrid

20150104_141356k.png

20150104_141410j.png

20150104_142658j.png

Barcelona

20150113_151341_Richtone(HDR)jj.png

3 or 4 years ago the club's long game was to move the umpteen pokie licences at Alberton to another location and use the resultant space to have more a museumy type dealy.

Not sure if that strategy has changed since the new regime took over.

At the 2010 members info night, Mark Haysman formally put a museum onto the long term plans as he outlined short, medium and long term issues.

It was supposed to be part of a community development and moving the pokies away from Alberton. We need a new building and about $2mil maybe $4mil to do it properly and not a mickey mouse job.

As an alternative if they ever do up a few of those great old buildings down at the Port - eg Customs House we should rent space and set it up there for 2-5 years whilst we raise the funds. Because if we told our fans we want them to donate or lend old memorbillia including film and photos we would get some amazing stuff to put on display.

FPPF

Premiership Player
May 9, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The club should hit up the SANFL for more money, buy up some of the surrounding homes, demolish them and build a state of the art museum.
Just to piss off all the piss ant c***s in this pissant backwater state.

At the 2010 members info night, Mark Haysman formally put a museum onto the long term plans as he outlined short, medium and long term issues.

It was supposed to be part of a community development and moving the pokies away from Alberton. We need a new building and about $2mil maybe $4mil to do it properly and not a mickey mouse job.

As an alternative if they ever do up a few of those great old buildings down at the Port - eg Customs House we should rent space and set it up there for 2-5 years whilst we raise the funds. Because if we told our fans we want them to donate or lend old memorbillia including film and photos we would get some amazing stuff to put on display.

Given we'll actually be in the business of accruing profit with which to reinvest into future strategies we might actually get something off the ground over the next decade.

May 8, 2014
Adelaide Airport
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston Red Sox, Boston Celtics, QPR
absolutely there should be a museum! but...

is Adelaide Oval plausible? I can tell you for a fact that there's a large empty room in the Eastern Stand on the ground floor, right by the Gary McIntosh Bar, which was supposed to be a cafe, dunno what happened, it's not visible to the general public because the large windows and doors have Adelaide Oval motifs all over them, but it would be large enough to house a museum

otherwise, I'd much rather have a museum than pokies at Alberton, could we purchase another pub to house pokies? as much as I hate pokies, they are a source of income for the club

SgtSchulz

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 24, 2014
Bob McLean Sportsbar
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Mark Webber
SANFL were stingy and didn't make a trophy every year...only plaques and mini mocks of the real thing. 38 premiership trophies (34 SANFL ,1 Wartime, 1 AFL) in a line would be an imposing sight.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SgtSchulz

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 24, 2014
Bob McLean Sportsbar
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Mark Webber
The VFL/AFL premiership cup was first introduced in 1959 by the VFL and, before this, the reward was a pennant known by supporters simply as "The Flag". The AFL has since retrospectively awarded the premiers trophies based on the current design. ...If we make a museum we should make copies of the Thomas Seymour Hill trophy.

Express Footy

Debutant
Jan 19, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
3 or 4 years ago the club's long game was to move the umpteen pokie licences at Alberton to another location and use the resultant space to have more a museumy type dealy.

Not sure if that strategy has changed since the new regime took over.
That's a good idea. If we get the stadium deal right and can remain profitable as a club even during poorer seasons, I think most would be happy to see the pokies moved away from Alberton.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I've come back from a holiday in Europe where I did some stadium tours of large soccer clubs like Manchester United, Barcelona, Liverpool and Real Madrid, and all have brilliant museums of each club's history.

Within the museums they have pictures and information of historic events, detailed articles on former star players, trophy cabinets, televisions with highlights of big games etc. With Port Adelaide expected to make a profit in 2015 and beyond, I thought a good idea for the club would be to invest in creating a museum which captures Port Adelaide's rich 145 year history.

Obviously the museum wouldn't quite reach the levels of those of the big soccer clubs', but I think couple of rooms full of Port Adelaide history with the trophies on display as well as historic events in the club's history and features on star players would be fantastic addition to Alberton. Although there are already trophies and other features in the Port Club, I think we could do so much better and really show off the history of this great club.

The obvious question is where at Alberton would the museum be located and what the cost of developing it would be. I don't have the answers to that and I know this is a bit of a pipe dream, I just thought it would be a good idea for the club to look at some time in the future.

I'll leave some pictures of the various soccer club museums below.

Cheers

Express Footy

Liverpool

View attachment 104693

View attachment 104694

View attachment 104696

Real Madrid

View attachment 104698

View attachment 104699

View attachment 104700

Barcelona

View attachment 104701
I like it! yeah there are things displayed at the port club, but it could be done so much better!

Sep 8, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide (SANFL)
I thought the club mentioned, as recently as at the time of former club historian John Sincock's passing, that a museum was still on the cards.

PAFC04

Premiership Player
Mar 20, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Anything in Black'n'White
It would be interesting to add into the museum a phone app that would show pictures of games from the past as if you were there whilst standing at Alberton Oval, and perhaps to even give you a guided tour of the place including the change rooms.

it would take a lot of research of gathering photos and video to make this app happen. I guess the app is already out there when they used it in the city at Christmas time whereby they had markings on the footpath to point the phone at which the app recognises the marking to show a picture or video of santa flying through the sky.........rather see Motley, Quinn and many other greats kicking gaols, holding a cup aloft and many other events at the club.....

I guess a good time in our history would be in 2004 looking through the app, would be supporters watching the game......

Just put it out there guys.....

Museum for our club belongs at Alberton, somewhere...... The grandstands need to be maintained to retain its glory...... I would be happy to help paint the joint.

Its sacred ground at Alberton........

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Way back in 1995 there was a plan for a museum area at Alberton after we moved to the AFL. I recall seeing plans for a proposed redevelopment and there was a circular area near the middle labelled 'museum.' It was based on the Essendon Museum which apparently exists at Windy Hill. The plan may even have been displayed in the Clubrooms. That obviously never happened and in 2010 the concept was re floated. The idea has been around for many years and I guess money was and may still be an issue.

If we have a museum it has to be at Alberton. More people would probably see it at Adelaide Oval but somehow Alberton Oval seems the right place for it.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
The VFL/AFL premiership cup was first introduced in 1959 by the VFL and, before this, the reward was a pennant known by supporters simply as "The Flag". The AFL has since retrospectively awarded the premiers trophies based on the current design. ...If we make a museum we should make copies of the Thomas Seymour Hill trophy.

Totally agree with this. If we're going to do it, let's make it super imposing and have a full size replica of every senior league football trophy we've won, for each year that we won it.

I really hope this gets off the ground over the next few years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back