2nds Port Adelaide vs Centrals - Round 9 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

J.Butcher and Ah Chee were pathetic. Ah Chee is goneski. Budda Hocking put J.Butcher down back after he kicked a behind from 10m out.
Danny Butcher played his best ever game.
Robbie Young is a star forward pocket player at SANFL level.
Neade was very handy up fwd and in the middle.
Flynn was outstanding.
Logan bleeds for the PAFC
Summo leading as usual
Byrne-Jones was better on the wing than he was down back (Almost like a carbon copy of Pittard but with a tad more pace)
O'Shea was ok
Clurey was poor IMO.
Harvey is our best KPF prospect at SANFL level atm by far.
Shaw was ok but needs more aggression in his game he gets lost too easily.
Russell was quiet on debut as was Stevenson
Bruggemann was horrendous in the first half but then took some great marks in the 2nd
Krakouer mopped up down back as usual.
Amon/Haren/Biemans/Sawford all serviceable

Agree that it was Danny Butcher's best game, and by a long way.
Also agree re Harvey, atm he is a couple of streets ahead of Butch, and about 15 postcodes ahead of Shaw.

Butchers miss from about 10 metres out had to be seen to be believed, but then again we have all seen him burn the unmissable many times before, he did keep presenting though, as opposed to Shaw who never got into the game at any stage, and already reminds me of the Westhoff who couldn't play - yes harsh I know.

Tommy Logan was sensational ( he is in Magarey medal form in my opinion ), as was Flynn, who will definitely play AFL footy.

Shaw never got into the game at any stage, and already reminds me of the Westhoff who couldn't play - yes harsh I know.

Fair assessment. Funny thing is Port are trying to mold him into the next Hoff.

It will definitely take Shaw some time to develop. At least he didn't do anything terrible like Butcher.
I reckon he just needs to work on his positioning and aggression. He is a bloke that is almost 200cm he needs to start acting like it.

Was out for most of day but saw Neade had 12 touches at qtr time to end up with 16, surely that can't be defined as a solid game?

Also by reports Shaw worries me that he is playing similar to as he was in South Fremantle pre draft not as he was as an underager. He should play a couple games on the wing imo

Was out for most of day but saw Neade had 12 touches at qtr time to end up with 16, surely that can't be defined as a solid game?
"Handy" is the word I'd use. He only needs 15+ touches to have a good day as his disposals have an impact on the play as compared to Kane Cornes who gets 30+ touches but you never seem to see them.

I was watching Shaw closely for most of the game. Thought was really really unlucky not to get more of it in the last. Kept presenting and presenting but got nothing. Showed his frustration as well. Was often the best option up the wing but spuds like Ah Chee kept turning it over through the corridor

That result is not surprising given the Power's growing injury list and that is the big problem. When the Power cops a few injuries the Port Magpies will suffer because of the call on players to go up. Sam Gray, Ben Newton who were both called up plus Paul Stewart, Campbell Heath, Jarred Redden and Brett Renouf who are injured would have made a huge difference to that result. On top of that Henry Slattery is suspended and Jake Johansen is still out. We do not have these players so that was the expected result given the outs so well done to Budda Hocking and the guys.

I note that Warren Partland tipped the Port Magpies to win by 73-84 points which shows how little Partland knows about the Port Magpies situation.

J.Butcher and Ah Chee were pathetic. Ah Chee is goneski. Budda Hocking put J.Butcher down back after he kicked a behind from 10m out.

Thanks for the lowdown Ross. I agree that Ah Chee will struggle to hold a spot on our list and I think J Butcher's days might also be numbered. By all reports Butcher is not getting any better. Looks like 1954's suggestion from a couple of years back is coming to fruition and as a last resort the Coach is looking for another spot for Butcher.

There will need to be a Daniel Flynn highlight reel on the PAFC website just for this week! He went on so many successful rebounding runs it wasn't funny. Was also more aggressive and harder at the ball since the last time I saw him in the flesh a couple of weeks ago. He really is a great talent.
I usually try to ignore the umpires but the only comment I'll make in this post about today's game was just about every Centrals goal in the last quarter was from a free kick.

Thanks for the lowdown Ross. I agree that Ah Chee will struggle to hold a spot on our list and I think J Butcher's days might also be numbered. By all reports Butcher is not getting any better. Looks like 1954's suggestion from a couple of years back is coming to fruition and as a last resort the Coach is looking for another spot for Butcher.

It's obvious now that Hinkley would rather play a defender in Trengove up forward (Which I thought was a good move vs St Kilda) than play J.Butcher who kicked a bag of 10-15 in a 3 week period in the SANFL.

He is no chance to be called up now from that performance today.

I was watching Shaw closely for most of the game. Thought was really really unlucky not to get more of it in the last. Kept presenting and presenting but got nothing. Showed his frustration as well. Was often the best option up the wing but spuds like Ah Chee kept turning it over through the corridor

How was his work deep? I really liked him when he moved around at CHF (as a junior). When he was deep he seemed a little one dimensional or complacement. I can't really comment on much but from reports it sounds very similar to how he was pre draft which disappoints a little.

When Centrals were within 1 goal there was an increased presence of Centrals supporters at the cheersquad end of the ground, and they were pretty noisy. Not a huge number of them but at least a dozen. After we scored a goal to go 13 points up I turned around to give to them what they'd been giving to us and there were about 2 of them left, meaning most of them had left when they were 7 points down. No-one could be worse than cows supporters in leaving when the game is in the balance but the Centrals supporters run them close.
My daughter and I were standing on the fence in front of the Quinn stand and saw this lot head towards the cheersquad and then make their way back. We almost felt sorry for them but couldn't help laughing when one yelled out, "At least we don't live here."

Danny Butcher played his best ever game.
Robbie Young is a star forward pocket player at SANFL level.
Neade was very handy up fwd and in the middle.
Flynn was outstanding.
Logan bleeds for the PAFC
Summo leading as usual
Byrne-Jones was better on the wing than he was down back (Almost like a carbon copy of Pittard but with a tad more pace)
O'Shea was ok
Clurey was poor IMO.
Harvey is our best KPF prospect at SANFL level atm by far.
Shaw was ok but needs more aggression in his game he gets lost too easily.
Russell was quiet on debut as was Stevenson
Bruggemann was horrendous in the first half but then took some great marks in the 2nd
Krakouer mopped up down back as usual.
Amon/Haren/Biemans/Sawford all serviceable
Agree with everything here, except I thought O'Shea was actually really good aside from his disposal at times. Re Clurey - he just needs to attempt the mark more. Tends to try to spoil unnecessarily. Feel really sorry for Butcher. His ability to mark is actually pretty good. But whatever work he is putting into his kicking just isn't working. If Harvey or Shaw (or both) go ahead of him in the pecking order for a spot in the AFL 22, I get the feeling he'll never catch up to them.

How was his work deep? I really liked him when he moved around at CHF (as a junior). When he was deep he seemed a little one dimensional or complacement. I can't really comment on much but from reports it sounds very similar to how he was pre draft which disappoints a little.

Shaw presented better when Butcher went into defence, but as has already been said, there was a long period when his leads were fruitless because the Maggies continually turned the ball over when they tried to attack through the middle of the ground.

All things aside though, Harvey is the only one of the 3 who is likely to develop a kpp's body, Butch is built like a couple of yards of pump water, and while Shaw looks a little more robust, there are times when he does need to go a bit harder at the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My daughter and I were standing on the fence in front of the Quinn stand and saw this lot head towards the cheersquad and then make their way back. We almost felt sorry for them but couldn't help laughing when one yelled out, "At least we don't live here."
Yeah because the paradise of Elizabeth/Salisbury is the envy of .... Hackham West.

Tommy Logan was sensational ( he is in Magarey medal form in my opinion ).

Now that would make me a very contented individual.

I thought Shaw was reasonable. Limited opportunities, and as you said, he was ignored ALOT in the last quarter.

Central fans were shockers today. I am getting pretty sick of hearing the old 'Killing the SANFL, not a real club, it's the Power, not the Magpies' s**t.
One bloke had a massive crack at my 83 year old Grandmother just before the final siren, then promptly ran, and I mean actually ran, out of the ground.

... One bloke had a massive crack at my 83 year old Grandmother just before the final siren, then promptly ran, and I mean actually ran, out of the ground.
Probably had to be home by the time stipulated in his home detention.

Central fans were shockers today. I am getting pretty sick of hearing the old 'Killing the SANFL, not a real club, it's the Power, not the Magpies' s**t.
One bloke had a massive crack at my 83 year old Grandmother just before the final siren, then promptly ran, and I mean actually ran, out of the ground.

Oh sorry I thought you were talking about the 5RPH commentary.

Once I heard Tommy Logan finished the game with his head swathed in Crimean War bandages I knew he had a belter. :D

John Bucher is fine, he took some great grabs today. CAN SOMEBODY GIVE THE GUY SOME KICKING ROUTINE!!!!!!

Every time he takes a set shot he has a different ******* routine. SOMEONE spend some time with the lad and get his head right when he takes a mark.

Danny Butcher was great today, I know he is not on the list anymore but the young fella played his best game for the magpies today.

John Butcher is fine, he took some great grabs today. CAN SOMEBODY GIVE THE GUY SOME KICKING ROUTINE!!!!!! .....
What's the point of intimating that no-one is working with him? You know better, there have been enough articles on this.
... Every time he takes a set shot he has a different ******* routine .....
Well and truly his career destroying issue.

There will need to be a Daniel Flynn highlight reel on the PAFC website just for this week! He went on so many successful rebounding runs it wasn't funny. Was also more aggressive and harder at the ball since the last time I saw him in the flesh a couple of weeks ago. He really is a great talent.
I usually try to ignore the umpires but the only comment I'll make in this post about today's game was just about every Centrals goal in the last quarter was from a free kick.
Maybe Daniel is getting a lot of tips etc from his house mates .. Chad & Ollie .. good to see he is improving each game.

What's the point of intimating that no-one is working with him? You know better, there have been enough articles on this.
Well and truly his career destroying issue.
Never said no one is working with him. But it is clear the poor fella has no routine, just has no hope when he takes a mark. It has got to his head and can't help but think it is over for him. Whoever had worked with him, has had no success.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back