2nds Port Adelaide vs Glenelg - Round 2 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, as far as i know, this is the same family recipe, which has been serving magpie supporters delicious bakery goods for year!
Don't quote me on this, but i believe the son took over the business but no longer has a shop. However, he still comes to the ground and sells them. Happy to be corrected.

Unbelievable pastry and for 2 bucks - ridiculous! Pretty much a cult figure i'd reckon!

Last year when I was talking to KT and Matthew Richardson about Adelaide Oval I sent them links to a story on Bloomberg TV's Sportfolio program about the new Barclays Center (US spell) in Brooklyn that opened at the end of 2012. One thing they did was go out and seek out local Brooklyn speciality/famous food stores and asked them to set up a store in the new centre either fulltime or just for gameday. I said Port should do this and gave De Souza's bakery as an example of who should be invited in to Adelaide Oval for Port games only, so that Port fans and visiting fans would be able to experience something very Port Adelaide. Unfortunately they both told me the SMA had full control of catering and that Port had no say in getting this up.

Last year when I was talking to KT and Matthew Richardson about Adelaide Oval I sent them links to a story on Bloomberg TV's Sportfolio program about the new Barclays Center (US spell) in Brooklyn that opened at the end of 2012. One thing they did was go out and seek out local Brooklyn speciality/famous food stores and asked them to set up a store in the new centre either fulltime or just for gameday. I said Port should do this and gave De Souza's bakery as an example of who should be invited in to Adelaide Oval for Port games only, so that Port fans and visiting fans would be able to experience something very Port Adelaide. Unfortunately they both told me the SMA had full control of catering and that Port had no say in getting this up.

Bloody terrific suggestion and a great shame it couldn't happen. When i went to the bar, i did notice balfour's products so therefore it would be a conflict of sponsorship I guess.
Ah well, we'll all just have to keep rockin' up to the maggies to receive the goods.:thumbsu:

That would be old man De Souza if you are talking about the 1970's and 1980's. The boot of the car and hessian bag is a give away. Not sure if he or his son was still doing in the 1990's and 2000's when the ASHQ was built as I lived in Sydney.

As I said the girl selling it reckons she is the grand daughter and the bakery is still going but it nothing is listed under De Souza bakery.

Right, I am getting down there. I remember these after games in the 80's leaving via the outer gates, they were awesome pasties. My dad would buy couple and we'd eat in the car heading home after another win. If they are half as good as they are in my memory, then they should be bloody good.

RussellEbertHandball, the pastie man's been turning up every Alberton game in the 25 years since you last had one.

Well my brother inlaw told me otherwise all these years I lived away from SA and I have been to between 1 and 5 Maggies games a year since I got back in 2010 and never seen them. Where have they been selling them from?? I assume if they are related to old man DeSouza, then he stopped doing it years ago and its been other family members.

Well my brother inlaw told me otherwise all these years I lived away from SA and I have been to between 1 and 5 Maggies games a year since I got back in 2010 and never seen them. Where have they been selling them from?? I assume if they are related to old man DeSouza, then he stopped doing it years ago and its been other family members.

there was a period of time when he was selling them from the gates behind the scoreboard but they stopped opening those gates a while back. I could be wrong but I reckon he's continually been there for decades. I went through a stage in the '90s, early noughties of buying a couple at half time every home game, haven't done so for probably a decade so it's possible he wasn't selling them for a while, but I don't think so.

We've given Glenelg one of our biggest beltings and people are discussing pasties :)

What a very satisfying result it was to get the first win like that. 10 goal first quarter ... back to normality after 15 years in the wilderness.

there was a period of time when he was selling them from the gates behind the scoreboard but they stopped opening those gates a while back. I could be wrong but I reckon he's continually been there for decades. I went through a stage in the '90s, early noughties of buying a couple at half time every home game, haven't done so for probably a decade so it's possible he wasn't selling them for a while, but I don't think so.

Ok so you went a decade without buying one - that says to me my brother in law who raves about them was probably right that he stopped selling them.

$2 ? FMD that is a good price. What's a Balfours or Vilis pie/pasty going for? I have had an inexplicable longing for a balfours pie the past month or so.

In Canada there's no real pie/pasty culture due to dominance of fastfood chains and especially Tim Hortons Coffee/Donut houses. Canada runs on Tim Horton's Coffee.
You got Poutine though.

We've given Glenelg one of our biggest beltings and people are discussing pasties :)

What a very satisfying result it was to get the first win like that. 10 goal first quarter ... back to normality after 15 years in the wilderness.

I can't add to the excellent reports from the game. I missed the first quarter but it was still total domination. Ben Newton impressed me the most. Butch's 5 goals from a very mixed/strange game was interesting. Why didn't we kick like that against Norwood rather than the shank kicks all night at the parade??

The pasties - its all about the vibe man, the Alberton vibe, and another reason why to get to games if you can.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sorry to continue the pastie diversion - during that time I have a mate who often bought the family a week's worth at a time - so for much of the time I reckon he was still there. However, I have not really taken a whole lot of notice so... whatever...

good game yesterday, but.

I'm worried though that it's everything the sanfl clubs have feared and we will be shackled further in the future.

It's weird but I almost stopped enjoying it. In the last quarter a bay player kicked the ball out of a pack through the goals and the field umpire immediately called touched and I found myself thinking - for *'s sake just let them have the goal.

Just curious about the crowd. Was there any die-hard Magpie supporters there. Was the crowd numbers up or were they down. If the boys keep playing this way it should bring a crowd out.

sorry to continue the pastie diversion - during that time I have a mate who often bought the family a week's worth at a time - so for much of the time I reckon he was still there. However, I have not really taken a whole lot of notice so... whatever...

good game yesterday, but.

I'm worried though that it's everything the sanfl clubs have feared and we will be shackled further in the future.

It's weird but I almost stopped enjoying it. In the last quarter a bay player kicked the ball out of a pack through the goals and the field umpire immediately called touched and I found myself thinking - for ****'s sake just let them have the goal.

I think it's more a case that Glenelg are horrible this year- like Sturt in the 90's horrible. I looked at the SANFL ladder just now and the bottom half of the ladder looks immensely pleasing- Adelaide Calves are 9th and Glenelg are 10th.

i dont think we can take to much out of this game really, except that it might get some that didnt play so well last week into some form and it pushes the 22 some more to stay in the team (which is always a bonus)

It's weird but I almost stopped enjoying it. In the last quarter a bay player kicked the ball out of a pack through the goals and the field umpire immediately called touched and I found myself thinking - for ****'s sake just let them have the goal.

Losing to the Legs last week with them having 13 out of their premiership side out was in a "PR sense" a good thing as it showed the AFL sides wont dominate as the crows lost the same weekend.

But with the crows getting smashed on the weekend end and the Magpies dominating, it confirmed in my mind that If the AFL sides are strong and have no injuries their B's will dominate in the SANFL, but if there are lots of injuries and especially with the crows fill in model, the AFL sides will struggle.

Its interesting that Centrals beat Norwood by 8 or 9 goals. That says to me that Norwood built themselves up for the Port game for a few months and there was a let down the next game.

Just curious about the crowd. Was there any die-hard Magpie supporters there. Was the crowd numbers up or were they down. If the boys keep playing this way it should bring a crowd out.

I would say the crowd was relatively low yesterday but admirable all the same. Crows game (Bays fans) and 36ers final may have contributed.
As for the 'die-hards', I was concerned what people would turn up.

In previous years, there's been a small gathering near the outer wing bar.
Some of them have been quite expressive in what they thought of the Power as opposed to the 'real magpies'. At the first 'reserves' announcement (Power head quarters), some of them were quite vocal and voiced their concerns regarding the new setup. Keith Thomas answered their unusual questions and statements beautifully - a few cheers from pro One Club people further emphasised an end to this negativity.

Thankfully, they were there yesterday! Vocal and supportive as per usual.

As for the cheersquad. It's smaller than last year. The St. Kilda, Collingwood, Kangaroos, etc supporters have now gone. However, although it may be smaller now, I believe it has greater potential to be grow bigger than recent years.

Academy vs Glenelg stats
BlKT4cVCQAAGDRC.jpg

Nice stats by Tom Gray after his brother's AFL debut.

Does KE = kick effective and KI = kick ineffective ?? Has anyone ever seen champion data produce those stats for public viewing for the AFL???

Chris25 has mentioned Magpies U18 Luke Partington a few times in his SA draft prospects thread. He's underage but apparently one of the leading contenders for the 2015 draft. Anyone see the lad on the weekend or know much about him?

Saw the whole game, kept mistaking Paul Stewart and AhChee for each other, their profile and style of movement is so much alike.
They each kicked two goals, Ah Chee kicked the first and gave off a couple of long left-hand handballs.
I agree he doesn't show up in the stats enough yet. Look forward to that happening as what he does do he does well, just not enough of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back